POLL: Did you vote for Hillary or against Trump?

If you voted for Hillary Clinton in the 2016 Presidential General Election, did you really vote for Hillary or against Trump?  

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

As per @knapplc's request:

10 minutes ago, knapplc said:

It'd be interesting to see a poll of people who voted for Hillary asking them if they voted for her or against Trump.  My vote was against Trump, period. I had no interest in another Clinton presidency.  I doubt that's a unique position. 

EDIT: Fixed my errors as to how to get the poll to look correct. Also, I didn't vote for Clinton, so I didn't vote in this poll.

13 minutes ago, knapplc said:

This will be somewhat interesting here, but to be useful it'd have to be a national poll by someone like Gallup.

I have no problem admitting I voted against Trump. Clinton was easily the lesser of the two evils.

Not quite the same, but I found something similar in the CNN exit polls: opinion of presidential candidate you voted for

I can't copy the graphic correctly, so look at the site for that, but here's the numbers broken down:

24558 respondents

41% strongly favored their candidate (53% of those for Clinton, 41% for Trump, 6% other)

32% have reservations about their candidate (49% of those for Clinton, 48% for Trump, 3% other)

25% dislike their opponent (39% of those for Clinton, 50% for Trump, 11% other)

If we just look at the Clinton voters, we get out of 11581 Clinton voters in this exit poll: 5336 strongly favored Clinton, 3851 had reservations about Clinton, and 2394 disliked Trump. So 46% strongly favored Clinton while only 21% voted against Trump.

both sort of I guess.  I voted for Clinton, because she was an actual adult human with the experience to lead the country well enough, I don't buy into all the made up conspiracies, but I would have preferred Sanders.

Trump is what he's been since the 80s, a national disgrace who is hurting the US's position in the world and has no Ideal's just wants power.  He fits into the party he's "leading" very well.  I also voted against him.

Edit: but yeah living in Nebraska so that vote didn't count anyways.

• Plus1 6
5 minutes ago, methodical said:

both sort of I guess.  I voted for Clinton, because she was an actual adult human with the experience to lead the country well enough, I don't buy into all the made up conspiracies, but I would have preferred Sanders.

Trump is what he's been since the 80s, a national disgrace who is hurting the US's position in the world and has no Ideal's just wants power.  He fits into the party he's "leading" very well.  I also voted against him.

Couldn't have said it better. 100% this. 

26 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

But that misses the point of this poll: was your vote for Clinton because you wanted Hillary as President or was it a vote against Trump

I think the poll misses the point....any good point anyway.

It's feasible that every single Hillary vote cast in that election was really a vote against Trump. So here in June 2018 with Trump as the sitting President, what does it matter in the least the intent of those votes?

BTW, I can't participate in this poll because I didn't vote for either one of them.

1 hour ago, RedDenver said:

But that misses the point of this poll: was your vote for Clinton because you wanted Hillary as President or was it a vote against Trump

I voted for neither - so I guess I'm left out of the poll.

But if I had voted - at the time I think I would have voted for Trump because of my strong Republican leanings at the time.  I erroneously thought like many others that surely Trump would end his immature ways once the weight of the presidency was on him. But in retrospective, I see that you can't change the spots on this leper (misspelled on purpose) and past actions are the best predictor of future behavior.  Thus as time has gone by - as everyone has seen on HB - my thoughts about Trump, Republican party has taken a 90 degree turn (not 180 since I can't support today's Dem party.)

• Plus1 2

^^^^ Yep.

I liked her policies a lot but was pretty meh on Clinton herself. Would have preferred a different standard bearer with the same policies. She was a very flawed messenger.

I picked voted against Trump, because my disgust for him outweighed my love of Clinton. But ultimately I'd vote for most Dems with those plans over most all Republicans.

• Plus1 2
22 hours ago, methodical said:

I'm really curious how many people across the nation feel this way. There just aren't that many states where a single voter can feel like they've really made a legitimate difference in how things turn out, for both the winners and the losers. Locally it feels like my vote matters but at the state and national level, not so much.

1 hour ago, Whistlebritches said:

I'm really curious how many people across the nation feel this way. There just aren't that many states where a single voter can feel like they've really made a legitimate difference in how things turn out, for both the winners and the losers. Locally it feels like my vote matters but at the state and national level, not so much.

Me.

Living in Nebraska, you have ZERO say in who the candidates are and even if I voted for Hillary, it would have had absolutely zero difference in the outcome.

• Plus1 1