Cameron Jefferies

2 minutes ago, Dilly Dilly said:

You're allowed to have doubts, and you're right that so many don't pan out.  But, some do, and you get none of those if you take no chances.  Anyway, I personally value your opinions, but in this one case, i just happen to disagree.  

Carry on.

Thank you.  I concur that that taking chances is the only way to get that reward.  In truth, I hope my doubts are wrong.  I will say one thing based off what I saw, the young man certainly does not lack swagger or confidence.

1 hour ago, Making Chimichangas said:

I said one player succeeding has nothing to do with another succeeding.

And this thread illustrates the source problem with recruiting: nobody seems to be allowed to express any doubt about a players ability.  

One-third to half of every recruiting class doesn't pan out.  That's just the nature of recruiting.  Everybody seems to think that every player we sign will be an all-american or at least very good and that simply is not statistical reality.

I think the thing is, if you're using a ranking or a bad team to judge whether a player is good, then another player on a bad team or with a bad ranking doing well does have something to do with it. Even having one example shows it's possible. It just doesn't do anything to prove it's going to work out with this guy. The comparison can be made because you used the ranking/team to judge the player in the first place.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

I think the thing is, if you're using a ranking or a bad team to judge whether a player is good, then another player on a bad team or with a bad ranking doing well does have something to do with it. Even having one example shows it's possible. It just doesn't do anything to prove it's going to work out with this guy. The comparison can be made because you used the ranking/team to judge the player in the first place.

Fair points.  :thumbs

“I started my freshman and sophomore seasons. I am leaving because I want to face better competition and I want to set myself up to go to the NFL. What I’m looking for is the ideal situation, and I want to come in and play against great competition and set myself up to play in the league. I really want to be able to trust the coaching staff that I’m not being brought in just as an insurance policy.”

https://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/sipple/steven-m-sipple-huskers-work-into-summer-months-to-improve

• Plus1 1

On 6/13/2018 at 9:21 AM, brophog said:

Translation [To my ears anyway]: I'm either starting or I'm not coming.

I dunno...I obviously have no idea what is in this young man's heart and head, but he seems like a me, me, me type.  And while a certain level of doing what is best for yourself is understandable, it should be balanced with doing what is best to help whatever new team a player joins.

Maybe I am being overly critical for no discernable reason...:dunno

25 minutes ago, Making Chimichangas said:

Translation [To my ears anyway]: I'm either starting or I'm not coming.

I dunno...I obviously have no idea what is in this young man's heart and head, but he seems like a me, me, me type.  And while a certain level of doing what is best for yourself is understandable, it should be balanced with doing what is best to help whatever new team a player joins.

Maybe I am being overly critical for no discernable reason...:dunno

Agreed.  I appreciate that he has goals and not afraid to say it, but no one HERE is handing him the starting job without earning it.  Good luck at Cincinnati, young man.  (Presumably)

11 hours ago, Making Chimichangas said:

Diaco's soft, scared, passive, and play the CBs 10 yards off the line of scrimmage had more to do with that than anything else.

Eh.  I'd say barely having played corner before getting to college is most of it.  He should be playing offense.

I no fan of Diaco's but it's not like he was lighting the world on fire under Banker either. 

• Plus1 3
11 hours ago, Making Chimichangas said:

Diaco's soft, scared, passive, and play the CBs 10 yards off the line of scrimmage had more to do with that than anything else.

Diaco had no choice but to play soft coverage as there was zero pass rush.  You can't play tight if you can't get to the qb or you'll just give up bombs all day long.

Not defending the guy in general, he was a bit touched and was not a good fit here, but the coverage decision was the only one he could make last year. 

• Plus1 1
Just now, runningblind said:

Diaco had no choice but to play soft coverage as there was zero pass rush.  You can't play tight if you can't get to the qb or you'll just give up bombs all day long.

Not defending the guy in general, he was a bit touched and was not a good fit here, but the coverage decision was the only one he could make last year. 

There was no pass rush because Diaco coached the defensive lineman to play contain and not rush the passer.  

So that's still the same problem.  Just with one more degree.

• Plus1 6

20 minutes ago, runningblind said:

As @Mavric said, Diaco coached the DL to push or squeeze the pocket, not to rush the QB.  Playing your DBs so far off, and not requiring or wanting an effective pass rush, just from a schematic sense, is severely problematic. 

Side Note: My goodness, in the last ~11 years we've had: Kevin Cosgrove, Mark Banker, and Bob Diaco as DCs.  Three of the historically worst DCs of all time in the modern era have all been on Nebraska's coaching staff.  It's sad enough to make you cry.   

• Plus1 5
41 minutes ago, Mavric said:

There was no pass rush because Diaco coached the defensive lineman to play contain and not rush the passer.  

So that's still the same problem.  Just with one more degree.

16 minutes ago, Making Chimichangas said:

As @Mavric said, Diaco coached the DL to push or squeeze the pocket, not to rush the QB.  Playing your DBs so far off, and not requiring or wanting an effective pass rush, just from a schematic sense, is severely problematic. 

Side Note: My goodness, in the last ~11 years we've had: Kevin Cosgrove, Mark Banker, and Bob Diaco as DCs.  Three of the historically worst DCs of all time in the modern era have all been on Nebraska's coaching staff.  It's sad enough to make you cry.   

Fair enough.  

2 hours ago, Mavric said:

Eh.  I'd say barely having played corner before getting to college is most of it.  He should be playing offense.

I no fan of Diaco's but it's not like he was lighting the world on fire under Banker either. 

Just curious why you say offense? He was ranked as a safety by 3/4 of the recruiting services. I don't think I ever watched his offensive highlights, what'd he play on that side of the ball?

18 hours ago, Dilly Dilly said:

Agreed.  I appreciate that he has goals and not afraid to say it, but no one HERE is handing him the starting job without earning it.  Good luck at Cincinnati, young man.  (Presumably)

I agree that his plan is to transfer somewhere that he can start. I think the coaching staff can be honest with him without promising a starting position. The staff can promise that he will get all the opportunities to compete for a starting position. He has really good skills and experience that will likely make him an immediate challenger for starting time, especially given our current uncertainties at the position. 

Come here and earn your spot. Not a lot of competition to beat.

31 minutes ago, Thanks_Tom RR said:

I agree that his plan is to transfer somewhere that he can start. I think the coaching staff can be honest with him without promising a starting position. The staff can promise that he will get all the opportunities to compete for a starting position. He has really good skills and experience that will likely make him an immediate challenger for starting time, especially given our current uncertainties at the position. 

Come here and earn your spot. Not a lot of competition to beat.

This...  and we could tell the kid if you can't come here and start then you could probably kids your dreams of playing in the NFL goodbye.  We are paper thin in the secondary and being a starter at this moment in our backend doesn't guarantee a draft spot.  If you are as good as u think u are u will play