Cameron Jefferies

10 hours ago, Making Chimichangas said:

As @Mavric said, Diaco coached the DL to push or squeeze the pocket, not to rush the QB.  Playing your DBs so far off, and not requiring or wanting an effective pass rush, just from a schematic sense, is severely problematic. 

Side Note: My goodness, in the last ~11 years we've had: Kevin Cosgrove, Mark Banker, and Bob Diaco as DCs.  Three of the historically worst DCs of all time in the modern era have all been on Nebraska's coaching staff.  It's sad enough to make you cry.   

WRONG   #fakenews

These guys sucked and we are glad that they will never be part of the NU staff again - however to say that they are three of the worst all time in college football is a bit much

• Plus1 1

7 minutes ago, GBRFAN said:

WRONG   #fakenews

These guys sucked and we are glad that they will never be part of the NU staff again - however to say that they are three of the worst all time in college football is a bit much

Well opinions vary, but when your defense is at the bottom of all four major statistical categories, clearly you suck as a DC.  Do I need to post links to show just how bad those defenses were?

I mean I agree with you in that I am glad they are gone, but let's not try and re-write history to make it that they were somehow better than what their stats ranking showed.

• Plus1 2
16 minutes ago, GBRFAN said:

WRONG   #fakenews

no, worst of the modern era is right. when you have no confidence, as a fan, in the defense stopping any offense just once, you know the defense flat out sucks. and that was the feeling i had when those three were the DC.

14 hours ago, Making Chimichangas said:

As @Mavric said, Diaco coached the DL to push or squeeze the pocket, not to rush the QB.  Playing your DBs so far off, and not requiring or wanting an effective pass rush, just from a schematic sense, is severely problematic. 

Side Note: My goodness, in the last ~11 years we've had: Kevin Cosgrove, Mark Banker, and Bob Diaco as DCs.  Three of the historically worst DCs of all time in the modern era have all been on Nebraska's coaching staff.  It's sad enough to make you cry.   

That’s a huge reason why our secondary couldn’t guard anything. When the scheme requires the DLine to eat blocks and play contain but does not have them rush the passer AND linebackers are hardly ever called to blitz, the secondary will struggle!!

Diaco’s scheme was so strange. Initially I thought the first game was bad because Diaco didn’t want to show too much for future opponents. Then I realized he wasnt going to send anyone all season! 90% of the defensive play calls were DLine playing contain while everyone else would drop back in to soft coverage. CBs couldn’t play tight, aggressive coverage because the QB had all day to throw against our contain scheme. 

Our CBs have a lot of improving to do but Diaco’s scheme made them all look 5 times worse than they were. The secondary will look like a completely different unit next yr, especially with the incoming talent!

Banker shouldn't be lumped in with Cosgrove and Diaco, at least not to the same degree. Banker wasn't good, but he wasn't all-time terrible either. He was an average defensive coordinator that we look at negatively because he wasn't great.

Cosgrove and Diaco had drastically worse defenses. And they were bad week in and week out, at least in 2007 and 2017. Banker at least had games or weeks where things looked decent, giving the illusion that MAYBE things would work out. There wasn't much of that in 2007 or 2017. 

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Hans Gruber said:

Banker shouldn't be lumped in with Cosgrove and Diaco, at least not to the same degree. Banker wasn't good, but he wasn't all-time terrible either. He was an average defensive coordinator that we look at negatively because he wasn't great.

Cosgrove and Diaco had drastically worse defenses. And they were bad week in and week out, at least in 2007 and 2017. Banker at least had games or weeks where things looked decent, giving the illusion that MAYBE things would work out. There wasn't much of that in 2007 or 2017. 

Eh, the thing that helped Banker was he played against a bunch of terrible offenses.  When you look at yards per play allowed compared to what the opponents did the rest of the season, the 2015 defense was right up there with Cosgrove.

• Plus1 3
13 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Eh, the thing that helped Banker was he played against a bunch of terrible offenses.  When you look at yards per play allowed compared to what the opponents did the rest of the season, the 2015 defense was right up there with Cosgrove.

Diasgree on the terrible offenses, at least in 2015. Sure, in 2016 they didn't play a murders row of offenses.

The 2015 team played some pretty good offenses and quarterbacks though. BYU, Miami, Southern Miss, Michigan State and UCLA all had good offenses and quarterbacks. Not necessarily Heisman worthy or future NFL all-pros, but they were all good on offense.

And again, I'm not saying Banker was good. The other two were much worse though, at least at Nebraska. 

• Plus1 1
19 hours ago, Making Chimichangas said:

Recently saw on another message board (hey, when i'm bored, i wander sometimes) paraphrasing:

OP:  Cosgrove is now DC at New Mexico.  I had no idea he was still coaching.

1st response:  Neither did many of his players.

:lol:

• Plus1 1
59 minutes ago, Hans Gruber said:

Diasgree on the terrible offenses, at least in 2015. Sure, in 2016 they didn't play a murders row of offenses.

The 2015 team played some pretty good offenses and quarterbacks though. BYU, Miami, Southern Miss, Michigan State and UCLA all had good offenses and quarterbacks. Not necessarily Heisman worthy or future NFL all-pros, but they were all good on offense.

And again, I'm not saying Banker was good. The other two were much worse though, at least at Nebraska. 

The offenses you mention, ranked nationally in terms of yards per play: 62, 41, 8, 71, 26. For comparison, Nebraska's offense ranked 32.

The Big Ten West: 120, 115, 108, 87, 81, 53.

1 hour ago, Hans Gruber said:

Yeah, I think I should have said 2016.  I was thinking 2015 because our record was so bad.  But it was 2016 where we *looked* like we were better but we played a lot of bad offenses so that skewed things.

I tried to find the stats but they showed that the 2016 Banker defense was basically as bad as the 2007 Cosgrove defense, relatively speaking.  2016 just seemed better because the offenses we played were so much worse.

I haven't found the original post where I did the full rundown but I did find a post that I referenced it:

On 12/31/2016 at 12:14 PM, Mavric said:

You don't finish #122 in passing defense (in 2015) without melting down a significant amount of time. Especially playing against several not-that-great passing offenses.

In 2007, we allowed our opponents to gain 0.47 more yards per play against us than they did against the rest of their opponents that year.

In 2015, we allowed our opponents to gain 0.42 more yards per play.

So the 2015 defense was a little less than two inches per play better than the 2007 defense. So they were equally pathetic.

So I was correct that it was the 2015 defense that was Cosgrovian.

• Plus1 1
18 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I haven't found the original post where I did the full rundown but I did find a post that I referenced it:

So I was correct that it was the 2015 defense that was Cosgrovian.

Fine. Let me rephrase and clarify. The 2007, 2015 and 2017 defenses were all dreadfully bad in pass coverage. That entails rushing the passer, covering receivers and getting pass breakups or interceptions.

The 2007 and 2017 defenses were equally dreadful at stopping the run. The 2015 defense was decent at stopping the run though. Not great, but generally competent. Therefore, I feel like since the 2015 defense wasn't awful at one thing, it was better than the other two. 

Maybe Mark Banker isn't an average defensive coordinator. Maybe he's below average. He still probably isn't as bad as Cosgrove. Diaco is certainly better than both for his career, but ironically, had the single worst season.

Bottom line, I'm glad that Nebraska no longer employs any of the three. 

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Hans Gruber said:

Fine. Let me rephrase and clarify. The 2007, 2015 and 2017 defenses were all dreadfully bad in pass coverage. That entails rushing the passer, covering receivers and getting pass breakups or interceptions.

The 2007 and 2017 defenses were equally dreadful at stopping the run. The 2015 defense was decent at stopping the run though. Not great, but generally competent. Therefore, I feel like since the 2015 defense wasn't awful at one thing, it was better than the other two. 

Maybe Mark Banker isn't an average defensive coordinator. Maybe he's below average. He still probably isn't as bad as Cosgrove. Diaco is certainly better than both for his career, but ironically, had the single worst season.

Bottom line, I'm glad that Nebraska no longer employs any of the three. 

Definitely agree with the last line.

I'll grant you that we were decent at stopping the run in 2015.  We also faced the the fewest rushing attempts of anyone in the country?  Why?  Probably because teams didn't have to try to run the ball very much because they could pass up and down the field at will.

So it's nice that we were OK at stopping the run.  But that's kind of like being in the "tallest midget" category.  No offense to midgets.

• 2 weeks later...