Anthony Bourdain passes away.

So sad. He has an 11 year old daughter too...

Like Robin Williams, he seemed like one of those people that could never let life get the best of them. In reality, that couldn't be further from the truth unfortunately.

11 minutes ago, NM11046 said:

The most selfish thing a person can do.  

I feel empathy for his friends and family but mostly suicides just piss me off.

I understand that feeling.

But, when someone is at this point, most of the time, they view taking their own life as a favor to people around them.  They believe the world would be better without them in it and people would be happier.

• Plus1 1

18 minutes ago, NM11046 said:

The most selfish thing a person can do.  

I feel empathy for his friends and family but mostly suicides just piss me off.

It's not selfish. I used to think that way, but that's not what drives them to do it. There's a pain/depression that won't let them live, and it makes them believe that being dead is no better than being alive.

34 minutes ago, ZRod said:

It's not selfish. I used to think that way, but that's not what drives them to do it. There's a pain/depression that won't let them live, and it makes them believe that being dead is no better than being alive.

I dont disagree with how you describe it, but anyone who only thinks of themself and not the pain their decision will leave for their friends and family is selfish.   To be someone left behind wondering “What did I do?  What didnt’t I do?  Why did I say that to him?  Why didnt I say that to him?  What could I have done?  How come I didnt recognize the pain he was in?”   

It will be interesting to see if more information comes out as to the circumstances.  Everyone assumes depression is behind all suicides, and Im sure that it is for most but Id like to learn more about whats been happening with him. 

3 minutes ago, NM11046 said:

I dont disagree with how you describe it, but anyone who only thinks of themself and not the pain their decision will leave for their friends and family is selfish.  

That's the thing though.  Many times, they are not thinking about themselves when they do it.

• Plus1 2

28 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

That's the thing though.  Many times, they are not thinking about themselves when they do it.

This exactly. The issues they are having won't let them see past it and think about how it will impact others.