All time Husker Walk-on team

I thought I'd create an all-time Husker Walk-On team.  Some positions are real deep in quality walk-ons (FB, DE, K/P).  Others are a bit sparse (QB, TE).  I used the old-timey offensive positions (SE, FB, & WB).  Feel free to use current positions (X, Y & Z WRs).  Here's mine:  

OFFENSE
QB — Monte Christo
IB — I.M. Hipp  
FB — Andy Janovich
WB — Anthony Steels
C — Adam Treu
OG — Spencer Long
OG — Joel Wilks
OT — Cody Volk
OT — Jason Schwab
TE — Tyler Hoppes
SE — Brandon Reilly

DEFENSE
DE — Jared Tomich
DE —  Jimmy Williams
DT — John Parrella
DT — Toby Williams 
LB — Clete Pillen
LB — Scott Shanle
ILB — Stewart Bradley     
CB — Barron Miles
CB — Rodney Lewis
S — Matt O’Hanlon
S —  Mike McCashland

SPECIAL TEAMS
K — Alex Henery
P — Sam Koch

I think all these guys are walk-ons.  I looked most of them up.  Who you got?  

Edited by NUance
Replaced Shane Swanson with Anthony Steels. Swanson was a scholarship recruit.
  • Plus1 2

11 minutes ago, NUance said:

I thought I'd create an all-time Husker Walk-On team.  Some positions are real deep in quality walk-ons (FB, DE, K/P).  Others are a bit sparse (QB, TE).  I used the old-timey offensive positions (SE, FB, & WB).  Feel free to use current positions (X, Y & Z WRs).  Here's mine:  

OFFENSE
QB — Monte Christo
IB — I.M. Hipp  
FB — Andy Janovich
WB — Shane Swanson
C — Adam Treu
OG — Spencer Long
OG — Joel Wilks
OT — Cody Volk
OT — Jason Schwab
TE — Tyler Hoppes
SE — Brandon Reilly

DEFENSE
DE — Jared Tomich
DE —  Jimmy Williams
DT — John Parrella
DT — Toby Williams 
LB — Clete Pillen
LB — Scott Shanle
ILB — Stewart Bradley     
CB — Barron Miles
CB — Rodney Lewis
S — Matt O’Hanlon
S —  Mike McCashland

SPECIAL TEAMS
K — Alex Henery
P — Sam Koch

I think all these guys are walk-ons.  I looked most of them up.  Who you got?  

I can't add to that list.  The ones I marked in bold were 'real bargains'.  These had outstanding careers at NU.   I'm not familiar wt all of those names but those were the ones that stuck to me.

And to add to this:  I. M. Hipp has the all time best football name - and fitting for a 'confident walk-on"

2 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Technically, Jared Tomich wasn't a real walk-on.  He was a Prop 48 guy who would have been given a scholarship out of high school if he had qualified.

Yeah, I think there are a couple on there in that same situation.  But I figure if they paid their own way, they're walk-ons.  (That, and Jared Tomich is one of my all time favorite players.)  

• Plus1 1

38 minutes ago, skers83 said:

I could be wrong but I think Shane Swanson was on scholarship his entire career. Can't disagree with the list though. Some of those names  I had forgotten. If Swanson wasn't a walk on  how about Clester Johnson. 

Clester Johnson was a scholarship recruit, even though he was a QB in high school.  He was in the '91 class after being the OWH Prep Athlete of the Year.  He was teammates of Erick Strickland at Bellevue West.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, skers83 said:

I could be wrong but I think Shane Swanson was on scholarship his entire career. Can't disagree with the list though. Some of those names  I had forgotten. If Swanson wasn't a walk on  how about Clester Johnson. 

You're right!  I scanned this article LINK and got the impression Swanson was a walk-on.  But it actually says he turned down their offer to walk-on, so they gave him a scholie.  Good catch!  

Edit: I looked up Clester Johnson and he was a scholie player.  So I went with Anthony Steels.  :thumbs

• Plus1 1

13 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

If you could find a quarterback who played meaningful minutes, that would be a damn good football team.

If I recall, Monte Christo actually played a fair amount of minutes. Not sure how meaningful they were though. The Turmanator didn’t play a lot of minutes but I think you could make the argument that they were meaningful. I assume he was a walk on...

Not sure if it would translate into a damn good team but would beat the pants off our last few teams.

22 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

If you could find a quarterback who played meaningful minutes, that would be a damn good football team.

I'm open to suggestions!  I almost went with Joe Ganz.  Andrew Bunch and Ryker Fyfe  are pretty close too.  

3 hours ago, Comfortably Numb said:

If I recall, Monte Christo actually played a fair amount of minutes. Not sure how meaningful they were though. The Turmanator didn’t play a lot of minutes but I think you could make the argument that they were meaningful. I assume he was a walk on...

Not sure if it would translate into a damn good team but would beat the pants off our last few teams.

Monte Christo played quite a bit in 1998 and started a number of games after Newcombe was lost for the season and Crouch was battling various injuries. Nothing against Christo, but I was pissed when he started the ‘98 home game against Texas which snapped NU’s 47 game home winning streak. Solich made a bad decision and Christo played poorly in the first half, which allowed Texas to stay in the game. Crouch played the 2nd half and did well, but NU couldn’t pull away and Texas made plays at the end to win.