The Big Ten’s real Quarterback Whisperer

20 hours ago, Hans Gruber said:

I'm going to preface this by saying it's an unquantifiable question without a sure answer.

I've wondered for a few years how much of Stanford's success under Harbaugh was David Shaw. going against the grain in the Pac 10/12. Running a physical, ball control offense in a pass happy league against mostly mediocre defenses. Purdue was good in the Big 10 under Joe Tiller by going against the grain with his "basketball on grass" offense. 

I don't know. This thread made me think of that. 

FIFY

• Plus1 2

On June 9, 2018 at 2:00 PM, Vince R. said:

I have been pretty outspoken about the Michigan game this year. I think Nebraska is going to go in there and win.

Michigan seems to be the pivotal game for nearly everyone this year. If someone can get a good read on Michigan, they've got a great read on the conference.

Their defense speaks for itself, their offense was hot garbage. They went out and addressed the QB situation, but more importantly addressed their coaching staff. Now, there are some that think Michigan's root problems are due to Harbaugh himself, and if true, that's a daunting schedule. But, if not, they can be scary good. (FWIW, I think they'll be scary good, just by when is my question)

A big addition was Ed Warinner as offensive line coach. He specializes in supercharging offenses, and he's done so everywhere from Army and Kansas to Ohio St. He's so good because he understands how to use space, especially how spacing affects offensive line play. He's not a guy that's going to line up against brick walls. He's also not a guy Harbaugh would have brought in to do so as he's extremely well known.

What Warinner represents is a bridge to the often chaotic play of Shea Patterson, presuming he's the starter. Patterson is not a player that you put under center and run intricately timed drop backs. He's a playground QB. Warinner, whether at OC or as line coach, has had guys like this and excelled. I think Michigan will look to spread it out and let this guy shine and they brought in the coaches to do it.

• Plus1 1
On 6/9/2018 at 3:16 PM, Hans Gruber said:

Purdue was good in the Big 10 under Joe Tiller by going against the grain with his "basketball on grass" offense.

Always weird when you stop and think, "Wait, Drew Brees played for Purdue?!"

• Plus1 1
7 hours ago, brophog said:

Michigan seems to be the pivotal game for nearly everyone this year. If someone can get a good read on Michigan, they've got a great read on the conference.

Their defense speaks for itself, their offense was hot garbage. They went out and addressed the QB situation, but more importantly addressed their coaching staff. Now, there are some that think Michigan's root problems are due to Harbaugh himself, and if true, that's a daunting schedule. But, if not, they can be scary good. (FWIW, I think they'll be scary good, just by when is my question)

A big addition was Ed Warinner as offensive line coach. He specializes in supercharging offenses, and he's done so everywhere from Army and Kansas to Ohio St. He's so good because he understands how to use space, especially how spacing affects offensive line play. He's not a guy that's going to line up against brick walls. He's also not a guy Harbaugh would have brought in to do so as he's extremely well known.

What Warinner represents is a bridge to the often chaotic play of Shea Patterson, presuming he's the starter. Patterson is not a player that you put under center and run intricately timed drop backs. He's a playground QB. Warinner, whether at OC or as line coach, has had guys like this and excelled. I think Michigan will look to spread it out and let this guy shine and they brought in the coaches to do it.

Unfortunately I have to agree with this post. Hiring Ed Warinner was a great move by Michigan. 

It's a little too soon to call Frost a QB whisperer.

I do agree that part of Harbaugh's success at Stanford was due to running a somewhat unique type of offense in the PAC 12, while it is nothing special in the B1G.  Most seem to forget that he was only the HC at Stanford for 4 years 2007-10.  He really had only 1 great year there his last one at 12-1.  He had 2 losing seasons and an 8-5 season in 09.  He did build the program, and I will give him that, but he was doing it when the PAC 12 wasn't all that good either.  Shaw has been the HC at Stanford 2x as long as Harbaugh was.  

Hiring Ed Warinner could be a great addition to Michigan if Harbaugh lets him do his thing.  That is a big question though.  I think Harbaugh wears thin after a while, he is just an odd dude.  

Good QB play is essential to almost any successful team.  This year having a solid QB will be the difference between NU going 6-6 and possibly 9-3.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, NUinID said:

Hiring Ed Warinner could be a great addition to Michigan if Harbaugh lets him do his thing.  That is a big question though

That is the question. Harbaugh let some very long time assistants go to make these changes, so he's gotta be at least willing to listen to some fresh ideas.

On 6/10/2018 at 7:55 AM, husker_rob said:

I hate to be that guy, but...

Alex Smith

Tim Tebow 

Braxton Miller

J.T. Barrett

Even coached up Cardale Jones to play, and win, the biggest games of the season. 

I do agree I’d rather play for Frost than Harbaugh, as a QB prospect. 

But as as of right now, the Big Ten has a QB Whisperer, and he wasn’t listed as a choice in that poll. 

Yeah, I tend to agree. I'd take those QB's and their collegiate success over Zac Taylor, Joe Ganz, Taylor Martinez, Tommy Armstrong any day. Hopefully Frost can turn us into QB U.

22 hours ago, NUinID said:

It's a little too soon to call Frost a QB whisperer.

I do agree that part of Harbaugh's success at Stanford was due to running a somewhat unique type of offense in the PAC 12, while it is nothing special in the B1G.  Most seem to forget that he was only the HC at Stanford for 4 years 2007-10.  He really had only 1 great year there his last one at 12-1.  He had 2 losing seasons and an 8-5 season in 09.  He did build the program, and I will give him that, but he was doing it when the PAC 12 wasn't all that good either.  Shaw has been the HC at Stanford 2x as long as Harbaugh was.  

Hiring Ed Warinner could be a great addition to Michigan if Harbaugh lets him do his thing.  That is a big question though.  I think Harbaugh wears thin after a while, he is just an odd dude.  

Good QB play is essential to almost any successful team.  This year having a solid QB will be the difference between NU going 6-6 and possibly 9-3.

I don't think it is. If he isn't the QB whisperer, his offense is. It doesn't matter where this system is at it produces really solid numbers from the QB. We are about to see QB play like we never have before in Lincoln. 

As for Harbaugh, you are really discrediting what he did at Stanford in that second paragraph. They were awful before he got there. 16-40 in 5 years and a 1-11 season in 06. Harbaughs first season in 07 he won 4 games including a win over #1 USC at USC. Went 5-7 the next season then 8-5 with a RS frosh QB named Andrew Luck. You act like 12-1 in year 4 isn't an incredible accomplishment. Shaw has had a great run as well but Harbaugh got closer to the big chips in less time from a much worse starting point.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, huKSer said:

Ah the Tom Osborne approach!

(For those who are young he did this in the early 90s so it went well for him)

What?

The only coach I can find that got let go in the early 90's was Jack Pierce who coached from 1979-1991. The coordinators certainly didn't change. What coaches are you talking about?