The Big Ten’s real Quarterback Whisperer

7 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

So what exactly is the criteria to be a QB whisperer in college football?

Ever since someone mentioned the NFL, I stopped thinking I knew what it meant.

But #1 has to be Meyer. OSU's offense seems to always be good even with a new QB, including when 2 get injured in the same season. That's what I thought the definition should be.

Frost has done really well with 2 QBs but that isn't enough.

35 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Ever since someone mentioned the NFL, I stopped thinking I knew what it meant.

But #1 has to be Meyer. OSU's offense seems to always be good even with a new QB, including when 2 get injured in the same season. That's what I thought the definition should be.

Frost has done really well with 2 QBs but that isn't enough.

3, if you count Vernon Adams, who had a sufficiently high passing efficiency rating.

4 hours ago, RedDenver said:

What?

The only coach I can find that got let go in the early 90's was Jack Pierce who coached from 1979-1991. The coordinators certainly didn't change. What coaches are you talking about?

Ok - I was off by a decade, bunch of new coaches in the 80s.  I confused that with the 90s changing defensive strategy to 4-3 from 5-2

I think this is amazing - the QB test that Verduzco administers to the QBs.   The test is a factor in picking the starter. 

https://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/football/physical-and-mental-transformations-continue-for-husker-quarterbacks/article_5cf60391-7b23-5891-b6df-f2e07a1d4a67.html#comments

So, too, does the mental transformation of the QBs under the tutelage of Verduzco. 

In terms of learning the offense, Vedral had a head start with one season under Scott Frost and Verduzco at Central Florida. Martinez, Bunch and Gebbia — competing to be the starter this fall — have been digesting the playbook since January, and their knowledge was put to the test recently at Verduzco's home.

The four-hour, multiple-choice exam covered four sections, including pass protections, coverages and passing routes. Verduzco gave the group an open-book test earlier in the year, but this was a closed-book exam.

How'd they do?

"They all did very well, which was a benchmark or measuring stick of their work ethic," said Verduzco, who treats the players to juice and pastries before the test and a big Italian meal afterward.

"I got to know what they know and what they don't know," Verduzco said. "The test is not designed to trick them. It's to let them know, 'This is what we expect you to know.' They have to know what (the coaches) are talking about, and if it's a question, they should know the answer to that question."

And, yes, the test is a key factor in determining the starter.

"You can't put a guy on the field if he doesn't know what he's doing," Verduzco added. "It just made sense for me from the teaching prospect."

• Plus1 1

5 hours ago, Toe said:

Four hours?! He's giving them a goddamn ACT test!

Touchdown is to winning as avocado is to _________?

If Iowa loses five games, but beats Iowa State, how many years get added to Kirk Ferentz's contract?

Which if the following sentences is most likely to be true?

A) Jim Harbaugh won't #$&# after a loss on Twitter.

B) Maryland will finally have a season where all of its quarterbacks stay healthy.

C) Northwestern will sell out every home game.

D) Rutgers will win four games

True or false

Michigan claims fake national titles.

Essay

Why did Missouri ever think it was going to be asked to join the Big 10? 

• Plus1 7
  • 4 weeks later...

4 minutes ago, Dilly Dilly said:

No one mentions Brohm in this thread - i think he does way more, with way less.  If he sticks around, i can see (gulp, dare i say this) many battles between NU and Purdue.  (Hey, i called them by their right name this time)

One of his biggest issues last year was QB. Both QBs from last year return, plus some talented youth. Let's see if he can turn around that passing game.

2 hours ago, brophog said:

One of his biggest issues last year was QB. Both QBs from last year return, plus some talented youth. Let's see if he can turn around that passing game.

I found this link - showing who led in pass efficiency since the mid-50's.    Good representation of both coaches on the list.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/leaders/pass-rating-player-season.html

• 1 month later...