The Big Ten’s real Quarterback Whisperer

Scott Frost, not Jim Harbaugh, is Big Ten’s real Quarterback Whisperer

By Sean Keeler  www.landof10.com 

Q: IF YOU WERE A 4-STAR QUARTERBACK PROSPECT, WOULD YOU RATHER PLAY FOR JIM HARBAUGH AT MICHIGAN OR SCOTT FROST AT NEBRASKA RIGHT NOW?

LINK

Oh yeah!! :koolaid2::koolaid2::koolaid2:

• Plus1 3

1 minute ago, Dilly Dilly said:

Future seems very bright.  I'm an arm's length away from the pitcher of kool-aid.  It's going to be a fun year, with nothing to lose really.

I think the team may have some of this attitude as well which may propel us to stealing a win perhaps. Theres a bit of loose cannon feel in the air since Frost stepped in. He's ready to shake things up now.

• Plus1 2
3 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

I think the team may have some of this attitude as well which may propel us to stealing a win perhaps. Theres a bit of loose cannon feel in the air since Frost stepped in. He's ready to shake things up now.

Attitude, loose cannon, shake things up. Yes, all of these sound good to me. 

3 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

I have been pretty outspoken about the Michigan game this year. I think Nebraska is going to go in there and win.

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, Dilly Dilly said:

Future seems very bright.  I'm an arm's length away from the pitcher of kool-aid.  It's going to be a fun year, with nothing to lose really.

Which is a 180 from the last decade. We have gone into every year afraid, and it showed in big games. It showed in barely beating lesser teams as well.  

As you can tell by my avatar, I have been downing kool aid since December.  I am usually overly optimistic however, because life is more fun that way.

• Plus1 1

I'm going to preface this by saying it's an unquantifiable question without a sure answer.

I've wondered for a few years how much of Stanford's success under Harbaugh was going against the grain in the Pac 10/12. Running a physical, ball control offense in a pass happy league against mostly mediocre defenses. Purdue was good in the Big 10 under Joe Tiller by going against the grain with his "basketball on grass" offense. 

I don't know. This thread made me think of that. 

• Plus1 1
15 minutes ago, Hans Gruber said:

I'm going to preface this by saying it's an unquantifiable question without a sure answer.

I've wondered for a few years how much of Stanford's success under Harbaugh was going against the grain in the Pac 10/12. Running a physical, ball control offense in a pass happy league against mostly mediocre defenses. Purdue was good in the Big 10 under Joe Tiller by going against the grain with his "basketball on grass" offense. 

I don't know. This thread made me think of that. 

Here's what I know...

It doesn't really matter what type of offense or defense a team runs.  What does matter is getting the appropriate talent and being sound fundamentally in terms of overall scheme and position related techniques.

1 hour ago, Making Chimichangas said:

Here's what I know...

It doesn't really matter what type of offense or defense a team runs.  What does matter is getting the appropriate talent and being sound fundamentally in terms of overall scheme and position related techniques.

Sure. I agree with all of that. Every scheme has strengths and weaknesses though. I think it's possible that some of Stanford's success is by being different. Of course they get good players and are well coached too. But other than Washington and maybe USC, no one else in the PAC 12 can match their physicality. Pounding away at undersized defenses that are built to stop the pass is an advantage to Stanford.

Worth noting that what Stanford does differently, is what half the teams in the Big 10 do well. That may be part of why Michigan's offense has never really clicked so far under Harbaugh. Michigan runs more or less the same kind of offense that Wisconsin, Iowa, Michigan State and Northwestern run. 

• Plus1 1

5 hours ago, Making Chimichangas said:

Here's what I know...

As a guy that has coached football for a long time I look at it differently.  I HATED when we played teams with a QB that can run.  Years ago we played a team that was stacked...QB went on to NDSU and is a stud BUT the offense they ran made it really easy for me to game plan against.  He didn't run and the coach didn't like for him to run...we dropped 8 on almost every passing down and shut them down.

Running QB's are the hardest to game plan for.  Spying on them is hard...mush rush is hard...and lane integrity is hard.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, teachercd said:

As a guy that has coached football for a long time I look at it differently.  I HATED when we played teams with a QB that can run.  Years ago we played a team that was stacked...QB went on to NDSU and is a stud BUT the offense they ran made it really easy for me to game plan against.  He didn't run and the coach didn't like for him to run...we dropped 8 on almost every passing down and shut them down.

Running QB's are the hardest to game plan for.  Spying on them is hard...mush rush is hard...and lane integrity is hard.

The scrambling for first downs is demoralizing when you get a team to 3rd down. That drives me nuts. A few of those and the defense starts to crack even if they are playing well.

• Plus1 1

I hate to be that guy, but...

Alex Smith

Tim Tebow 

Braxton Miller

J.T. Barrett

Even coached up Cardale Jones to play, and win, the biggest games of the season. 

I do agree I’d rather play for Frost than Harbaugh, as a QB prospect. 

But as as of right now, the Big Ten has a QB Whisperer, and he wasn’t listed as a choice in that poll. 

• Plus1 2
22 minutes ago, husker_rob said:

I hate to be that guy, but...

Alex Smith

Tim Tebow 

Braxton Miller

J.T. Barrett

Even coached up Cardale Jones to play, and win, the biggest games of the season. 

I do agree I’d rather play for Frost than Harbaugh, as a QB prospect. 

But as as of right now, the Big Ten has a QB Whisperer, and he wasn’t listed as a choice in that poll. 

Good point.

I think part of this is recency bias but also the perceiving ceiling of some of those QB's. Smith happened awhile ago despite his successes in the league. J.T. Barrett was an undrafted free agent. Tebow was a terrible NFL QB and I don't remember what happened to Miller.

1 hour ago, Enhance said:

Good point.

I think part of this is recency bias but also the perceiving ceiling of some of those QB's. Smith happened awhile ago despite his successes in the league. J.T. Barrett was an undrafted free agent. Tebow was a terrible NFL QB and I don't remember what happened to Miller.

Miller is a WR for the Texans.