Athlon Rates Frost as the Seventh-Best Coach in the B1G

43 minutes ago, Dilly Dilly said:

Here's the full list

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/ranking-big-tens-college-football-coaches-2018

i think it's a fair assessment for a guy who has yet to coach this team in a Big Ten game.

When Franklin came in, I remember him being listed as something like number 2 or 3 and he hadn't coached a team in the Big Ten yet either.

Now, I'm fine with Frost being this low right now.  But.....these lists are very inconsistent in how they view new coaches.

• Plus1 2

Jeff Brohm is #2.  Keep in mind, this isn't a win% ranking.  This has more to do with talent at disposal versus the talent of the competition and what is expected vs what the actual results are.  Brohm very rarely loses to teams with similar or worse talent; he upsets many.

Doesn't this ignore a coach's recruiting ability?  Half the battle of being a good coach is getting the Johnnys and Joes on campus in the first place.  

• Plus1 2

26 minutes ago, NUance said:

Doesn't this ignore a coach's recruiting ability?  Half the battle of being a good coach is getting the Johnnys and Joes on campus in the first place.  

If we assume it does, then Brohm is doing pretty well there too.  The class that Purdue signed the year before he came in was ranked 80th nationally.  His first cycle he got it to 72nd and last year was 50th.

He currently has Purdue right behind Nebraska in the Big Ten rankings with 7 commits already.  Also of note, the average of those commits is 86.  Purdue's 10 year average is about 81-82.  I realize the numbers will change but it shows he is working on improvement.  

• Plus1 1

Any rating that puts Frost below 6 other Big ten coaches is B.S.   I doubt seriously if you polled a hundred Husker fans, you'd find more than 2 that would trade frost for any other Big ten coach besides OSU's head man.  And not sure half would trade for him.    At this point, to say one of the handful of red hot coach prospects in the country for openings at major school jobs, there is no way you can rate him that low - whether or not he's coached a game yet or not.   He's  been very successful and the national perception would put him in the top 25 nationally I would suspect.

• Plus1 4
1 hour ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Any rating that puts Frost below 6 other Big ten coaches is B.S.   I doubt seriously if you polled a hundred Husker fans, you'd find more than 2 that would trade frost for any other Big ten coach besides OSU's head man.  And not sure half would trade for him.    At this point, to say one of the handful of red hot coach prospects in the country for openings at major school jobs, there is no way you can rate him that low - whether or not he's coached a game yet or not.   He's  been very successful and the national perception would put him in the top 25 nationally I would suspect.

Being the best coach for Nebraska does not mean he’s the best coach in the B1G.

• Plus1 3
28 minutes ago, Edison's Enemy said:

Being the best coach for Nebraska does not mean he’s the best coach in the B1G.

But it does mean that he's much better than 7th best in the BIG. If you needed to hire a P5 coach, and you could have any BIG coach except Urban, who would you pick? Would Frost be your sixth choice?

1 hour ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

The Big Ten is has some really great coaches.  If you looked at the full list objectively, you'll see that the guys ahead of him have earned their place.  He can be 7th in the Big Ten (for now) and still be a top 25 coach or better.

4 hours ago, Dilly Dilly said:

The Big Ten is has some really great coaches.  If you looked at the full list objectively, you'll see that the guys ahead of him have earned their place.  He can be 7th in the Big Ten (for now) and still be a top 25 coach or better.

Looking at things objectively isn't something 90% of husker fans can do-especially with all this look aid drinking.  Here's my list:

1. Meyer

2. Brohm (he also turned wku around and he was one of the finalist for the Tennessee titans job).

3. Franklin (did well at vandy considering the circumstances).

4. Frost (will be top 3 by 3 more years)

5.Harbaugh (he needs to start proving himself at Michigan).

6. Mark dantoni (pretty good coach, I was considering putting him at 4)

7. Pat Fitzgerald (does a lot with a little)

8. Paul chryst (Wisconsin has been through numerous coaches and they've all been successful.  

9. Ferentz (way too inconsistent)

10. Fleck (I'm not sold on him being a good coach)

11. Dj durkin (I think he will get Maryland to .500, which is ultimately their ceiling)

12. Tom Allen 

13. Lovie Smith (he wasn't a good NFL coach and now he's not a good college coach).

14. Chris ash.  

• Plus1 1

I don't think Frost has earned being ranked above Meyer, Dantonio, Harbaugh, or Franklin. Probably not over Chryst yet either. I'd put him at 5th or 6th factoring in his OC resumé, potential, and resources, but he still has plenty to prove over the middle of the pack.

Wow, the B1G has so many good coaches.

• Plus1 3
8 minutes ago, Landlord said:

I don't think Frost has earned being ranked above Meyer, Dantonio, Harbaugh, or Franklin. Probably not over Chryst yet either. I'd put him at 5th or 6th factoring in his OC resumé, potential, and resources, but he still has plenty to prove over the middle of the pack.

Wow, the B1G has so many good coaches.

Chryst #1 IMO.  In recruiting battles year after year, Badgers are lowest rankings than our Huskers.