Athlon Rates Frost as the Seventh-Best Coach in the B1G

6 hours ago, huskerfan333157 said:

8. Paul chryst (Wisconsin has been through numerous coaches and they've all been successful.  

A bit unfair, in my opinion.

Whether it be an Offensive Coordinator or Head Coach, Paul Chryst has been dynamite at Wisconsin.  As OC, Chryst helped orchestrate two of the great Wisconsin offenses in 2010 (averaged over 40 points/game for first time in school history) and 2011 (improved upon that previous number and set another school record in points/game).  Seven seasons in that role, Wisconsin led the Big Ten in passing efficiency (148.1).  As HC, Wisconsin has won 83% of its games, including three consecutive bowl victories over ranked opponents, two of which were NY6 games.

People forget that Chryst was Wisconsin-made.  He grew up in Madison/Platteville and went to college in Madison, too.  Though he did not play under Barry Alvarez, Chryst fully-grasps the foundation that has made Wisconsin successful.  His predecessor, Gary Andersen, was deviating away from this by: (1) alienating in-state HS coaches, (2) not utilizing a, traditionally, strong walk-on program, and (3) recruiting players that could not academically qualify (Mohamed Barry and Jordan Stevenson are immediate names that Nebraska fans are familiar with).

Think No. 8 is too low on your list.

11 hours ago, huskerfan333157 said:

Looking at things objectively isn't something 90% of husker fans can do-especially with all this look aid drinking.  Here's my list:

1. Meyer

2. Brohm (he also turned wku around and he was one of the finalist for the Tennessee titans job).

3. Franklin (did well at vandy considering the circumstances).

4. Frost (will be top 3 by 3 more years)

5.Harbaugh (he needs to start proving himself at Michigan).

6. Mark dantoni (pretty good coach, I was considering putting him at 4)

7. Pat Fitzgerald (does a lot with a little)

8. Paul chryst (Wisconsin has been through numerous coaches and they've all been successful.  

9. Ferentz (way too inconsistent)

10. Fleck (I'm not sold on him being a good coach)

11. Dj durkin (I think he will get Maryland to .500, which is ultimately their ceiling)

12. Tom Allen 

13. Lovie Smith (he wasn't a good NFL coach and now he's not a good college coach).

14. Chris ash.  

I can't really fault your list much.  However, I'd have Dantoni at #3 behind Meyer and Franklin.  Fitzgerald is a bit of a mystery.  On one hand, he does do a decent job with what he has.  On the other hand, he hasn't accomplished nearly as much at Northwestern in 12 years as the guy he played for (Gary Barnett).  In four seasons, Barnett either won or tied for the conference title twice.  Fitgerald hasn't really even come close to a conference title.  Personally, I think he's way overrated.  Paul Chryst is also a mystery.  He hasn't won a conference title.  Bert managed to either win or tie for a conference title nearly half the time.  Was Bert a great coach?  I don't think so.  I think Durkin is too far down the list.  He's doing a really good job on the recruiting front, and I think it will eventually translate into winning.  I'd have him higher. 

On 6/12/2018 at 7:56 PM, MichiganDad3 said:

But it does mean that he's much better than 7th best in the BIG. If you needed to hire a P5 coach, and you could have any BIG coach except Urban, who would you pick? Would Frost be your sixth choice?

Don’t get me wrong; I’m a huge fan of Frost and don’t think there was a better candidate out there. That being said, he hasn’t proven himself as a head coach at the P5 level yet. Objectively speaking, that puts him lower on the list. 

1. Meyer

2. Franklin

3. Chryst

4. Dantonio

5. Ferentz

6. Harbaugh

7. Fitzgerald

8. Frost

9. Brohm

10. Fleck

11. Allen

12. Durkin

13. Smith

14. Ash 

• Plus1 1

15 hours ago, huskerfan333157 said:

Looking at things objectively isn't something 90% of husker fans can do-especially with all this look aid drinking.  Here's my list:

1. Meyer

2. Brohm (he also turned wku around and he was one of the finalist for the Tennessee titans job).

3. Franklin (did well at vandy considering the circumstances).

4. Frost (will be top 3 by 3 more years)

5.Harbaugh (he needs to start proving himself at Michigan).

6. Mark dantoni (pretty good coach, I was considering putting him at 4)

7. Pat Fitzgerald (does a lot with a little)

9. Ferentz (way too inconsistent)

10. Fleck (I'm not sold on him being a good coach)

11. Dj durkin (I think he will get Maryland to .500, which is ultimately their ceiling)

12. Tom Allen 

13. Lovie Smith (he wasn't a good NFL coach and now he's not a good college coach).

14. Chris ash.  

I found this post very interesting.  I hate Wisky ... but they have copied the Husker model and over the past few years under Chryst have gone 10-3, 11-3 and 13-1, winning every bowl game ... AND THEY HAVE THE 8TH BEST COACH IN THE B1G ... now that would offend me if I was a Wisky fan.  :-)

• Plus1 1
13 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

I found this post very interesting.  I hate Wisky ... but they have copied the Husker model and over the past few years under Chryst have gone 10-3, 11-3 and 13-1, winning every bowl game ... AND THEY HAVE THE 8TH BEST COACH IN THE B1G ... now that would offend me if I was a Wisky fan.  :-)

Wisconsin has a great program but no matter who they get as a head coach  they tend to be successful. 

On 6/12/2018 at 8:26 PM, Edison's Enemy said:

Being the best coach for Nebraska does not mean he’s the best coach in the B1G.

Couple points:    The best coach for Nebraska is the best coach in the country.  If we can't get the very best, then we want the next to the best or the third best.   We certainly don't go out and hire the 'future' of NU football by spending many millions of dollars to hire the 7th best coach in one of 5 of the top conferences making him somewhere around the middle of the pack of coaches in major school Div 1.   Nebraska expects to be a top ten program, not a top 60 program.   We had that with Riley, Pelini, Callahan, Solich.  To argue Frost is a middle of the pack coach is just not reasonable unless you believe Moos and Company are no better than our prior management.   At this point, I would SURE HOPE your wrong.

Secondly, I allowed that Frost might not be the best Big Ten coach as Meyer may be considerably better - arguably.   At this point, however, I am not sure I would trade Frost for ANY other coach in the country.  He is young, energetc, has demonstrated his capability to coach a team to great success, has learned under some of history's very best, most successful, etc.  He is a Husker at heart (or sure as heck it is hard to argue otherwise).   He knows NU football and is Nebraska born and raised.   His resume' is excellent and until he shows otherwise, I will steadfastly maintain he deserves to be considered one of the top 25 in all of college football and that means he's better than most of the Big Ten.

• Plus1 1
58 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Couple points:    The best coach for Nebraska is the best coach in the country.  If we can't get the very best, then we want the next to the best or the third best.   We certainly don't go out and hire the 'future' of NU football by spending many millions of dollars to hire the 7th best coach in one of 5 of the top conferences making him somewhere around the middle of the pack of coaches in major school Div 1.   Nebraska expects to be a top ten program, not a top 60 program.   We had that with Riley, Pelini, Callahan, Solich.  To argue Frost is a middle of the pack coach is just not reasonable unless you believe Moos and Company are no better than our prior management.   At this point, I would SURE HOPE your wrong.

Secondly, I allowed that Frost might not be the best Big Ten coach as Meyer may be considerably better - arguably.   At this point, however, I am not sure I would trade Frost for ANY other coach in the country.  He is young, energetc, has demonstrated his capability to coach a team to great success, has learned under some of history's very best, most successful, etc.  He is a Husker at heart (or sure as heck it is hard to argue otherwise).   He knows NU football and is Nebraska born and raised.   His resume' is excellent and until he shows otherwise, I will steadfastly maintain he deserves to be considered one of the top 25 in all of college football and that means he's better than most of the Big Ten.

So you would not trade Frost for Meyer even though you think Meyer is the better coach. That's exactly the point EE was making.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

It's the offseason, newsy type sites are dying for clicks, and coaching ratings are fluid anyway.  I really wouldn't get so worked up over it.

1 hour ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Couple points:    The best coach for Nebraska is the best coach in the country.  If we can't get the very best, then we want the next to the best or the third best. 

It took 20 years for Nebraska fans to realize that we are not the dream destination for every college football coach -- not even with the blank check we don't have. 

So it worked out pretty well that the hot young prospect who made his bones in Oregon and turned UCF around is a Nebraska legend with deep Nebraska ties. 

If we hadn't landed Frost -- and he probably did weigh his other options -- who was the second or third best coach who would have jumped at the opportunity?