Finally! Blackshirt Talk

Hand out those Blackshirts.

Colorado: 35 rushes for 44 yds wins you the game 99 times out of 100.

The defense didn’t lose 2 fumbles or throw the interception.

Their 7 sacks was half of last season’s TOTAL SACKS.

Would have I liked to see a game-saving interception, or fewer passing yds from Colorado? Yes, but that was a performance deserving of Blackshirts, even though it goes in the books as a loss.

#GBR

• Plus1 4
31 minutes ago, cheekygeek said:

Hand out those Blackshirts.

Colorado: 35 rushes for 44 yds wins you the game 99 times out of 100.

The defense didn’t lose 2 fumbles or throw the interception.

Their 7 sacks was half of last season’s TOTAL SACKS.

Would have I liked to see a game-saving interception, or fewer passing yds from Colorado? Yes, but that was a performance deserving of Blackshirts, even though it goes in the books as a loss.

#GBR

They played very well today.  Still need to firm up the secondary, but the front 7 played great iMO.  The DB's flashed at times, but need some more work (we knew that coming into the season).  I do think had Akron been played, we would have seen far less miscues than we did tonight.  I also think that those "rub" routes could easily be illegal picks....Need to figure out how to not have our OLB, CB and safety all get tied up on these routes....

• Plus1 1

7 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

350 yards passing and 3 TD’s.

7 play, 77 yard TD scoring drive to give up the lead

While it was nice to see them playing faster and the sacks were a welcome sight, they are far, far from Blackshirt standards.

Montez is a pro and we forced him to make some difficult throws, which he did. Put Hornibrook back there and watch the numbers drop. No QB in the Big 10 has the tools Montez has except maybe Haskins of OSU. Plus the Buffs like to sling it. It will only get better there.

• Fire 1
3 hours ago, StPaulHusker said:

350 yards passing and 3 TD’s.

7 play, 77 yard TD scoring drive to give up the lead

While it was nice to see them playing faster and the sacks were a welcome sight, they are far, far from Blackshirt standards.

Hmmm....really?  Look at stats for 1997 Blackshirt defense against UCF.  Pretty similar.  People have unrealistic expectations and can't remember history very well.

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, StPaulHusker said:

Was that game the standard for Blackshirts?

What is the standard?  When did they meet it and when did they not meet it?  Was there ever a season where they met it every game of the season? 

Does Alabama (the best defense of the modern college footballl era) meet that standard every game of the year they play?

You sir have unrealistic expectations.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

I have to give a lot of these guys credit too for having to deal with multiple def coordinators the past few seasons.  (Banker, Diaco & now Chinander)  They had their shaky moments but I also think they showed a lot fire and I saw a lot of good things from them especially as the game went on.  They are more fun to watch than d's of years past even despite their not so great moments for me anyway.  You have to remember this was game 1 for these guys and we have a lot of inexperienced guys at key positions so their will be growing pains.  

• Thanks 1
12 minutes ago, yort2000 said:

What is the standard?  When did they meet it and when did they not meet it?  Was there ever a season where they met it every game of the season? 

Does Alabama (the best defense of the modern college footballl era) meet that standard every game of the year they play?

You sir have unrealistic expectations.

I would say at the very least the standard is not giving up a game winning drive.

And I’d bet all the money that every Blackshirt from 97 would agree with me.

And I don’t care what Alabama’s standards are.  I’m not a fan of the Tide.