Finally! Blackshirt Talk

1 minute ago, StPaulHusker said:

I would say at the very least the standard is not giving up a game winning drive.

And I’d bet all the money that every Blackshirt from 97 would agree with me.

And I don’t care what Alabama’s standards are.  I’m not a fan of the Tide.

So 2009 wasn't a Blackshirt standard?  Remember VT and UT....game winning drives, well that, won games and we lost....

• Plus1 1

10 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

I would say at the very least the standard is not giving up a game winning drive.

And I’d bet all the money that every Blackshirt from 97 would agree with me.

And I don’t care what Alabama’s standards are.  I’m not a fan of the Tide.

And yet, just off the top of my head, that 97 defense gave up a td scoring drive to Missouri late in the 4th quarter that could have been a game winning drive had the offense not come back with the miraculous Davison catch from the "kick" to send the game into overtime.

• Plus1 1
30 minutes ago, lo country said:

So 2009 wasn't a Blackshirt standard?  Remember VT and UT....game winning drives, well that, won games and we lost....

I would say no.  They didn’t meet Blackshirt standard.  And I bet Bo and the defense would agree

23 minutes ago, yort2000 said:

And yet, just off the top of my head, that 97 defense gave up a td scoring drive to Missouri late in the 4th quarter that could have been a game winning drive had the offense not come back with the miraculous Davison catch from the "kick" to send the game into overtime.

Did the defense meet Blackshirt standards in this game?

14 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

I would say no.  They didn’t meet Blackshirt standard.  And I bet Bo and the defense would agree

Did the defense meet Blackshirt standards in this game?

It goes back to opinions.  The original Blackshirts were the starters. Nothing more.  Their level of play  and attitude "raised the bar" IMO.  I think that the starters deserve Blackshirts.  Was the performance (I'll say the DB's) up to the standard I grew up with watching the Huskers?  No.  What got me was the repeated 3rd and longs that they converted either through Montez's arm or penalties.  

It's just hard as there are different perceptions as to the "level of play" that deserves them. IMO, that's why it was always the starters. If you have to earn them through performance, I think it also means you can lose them for lack of performance.  This goes against Frost Mantra of "no fear of mistakes".  I also think that the whole starting D gets them or no one does.  I don't like the idea of only "X" number of players getting them.  The team rises or falls on the play of all. Not one individual. 

• Plus1 1

I feel like most of you have some mythic standard for qualifying for the title “Blackshirts” that was probably exacerbated by having National Champion Blackshirts Wistrom & Peters addressing this year’s team. 

Tell me: How many recruiting classes did Tom Osborne have to go through to get to those National Champion defenses? Are you comparing a first game, from an entirely new system & staff to your mythic standards? Thank goodness that Scott Frost & Company don’t really care what the fans think, because a certain percentage of us are asshats.

• Plus1 1

A few points of order re: recent discussions:

-1997 UCF has Dante Culpepper, who was a human highlight reel in college. That UCF team was a salty team that had some close scrapes with big opponents IIRC. 

-2009 Texas was a screw job by the officials with questionable penalties to help on the final two drives. The defense stopped UT in regulation play. 

-2009 VT (like UT, sadly) was more about our inept offense. Defense did more than enough to win, and it’s unfortunate that play happened the way it did. 

Both teams had Blackshirts and deservedly so. There should be blackshirts handed out after last week—let’s not forget Colorado does have two of the best WRs in the country (one could already play Sunday if he wished) and a polished QB. I think our boys played admirably and some, especially up front, deserve recognition. 

• Plus1 1

I'll leave the decision up to the program if the team gets their blackshirts today.

Seeing what was said after the game, I firmly believe the players and staff realize this game isn't and shouldn't be the standard.  They did some great things and they had some breakdowns. I also firmly believe that even if they DO get their blackshirts today, that won't diminish the motivation to go out this week and get better and dominate Troy and future opponents.  

I will say this about this defense.  I LOVE IT.  The front 7 were wreaking havoc and causing pressure.  The DBs were pressing the LOS and making WRs make moves and plays.  With this defense though, we need lock down DBs.  These guys are learning and will learn from this game.  The staff will use this game to help go out and recruit the players they need.

I'm excited about the future of this bunch.  This game also proved we do have talent in this bunch.