Florida offer

Beckton has also said that he felt like Heupel only offered him a job with the new staff down there because he was kinda 'obligated' to do so, whereas Frost made him feel like he was genuinely wanted when he came to UCF.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Question: If the other offers would have let him take his whole staff would Frost still have chosen NU? Or would Florida recruiting have swayed him? 

I dunno.  Do you think Scott Frost would rather spend a day turkey hunting with Tom Osborne or deep sea fishing with Steve Spurrier?   My money is on ... LINK

• Plus1 4

All that matters is that Frost is here.

I do think it’s an important distinction to note with Moos though, as I don’t think he deserves immunity from criticism for life or anything - at least not yet. He got Frost here and kept the hiring process from becoming a circus. Those are big positives. But everything else points to Moos having little to no bargaining power. Frost got to bring his entire staff here, and they all received major raises, all the while being able to coach their previous team through the bowl game.

None of that matters if they’re all capable Power-5 coaches and we are able to hit the ground running with realistic achievements in the near future. But if there’s a bit of a hiccup, where we need to make coaching upgrades in a few spots, then Moos has to take a lot of the blame in my opinion. I have no trouble believing that Florida and Tennessee said no to Frost rather than the other way around.

1 hour ago, Caliborn72 said:

All that matters is that Frost is here.

I do think it’s an important distinction to note with Moos though, as I don’t think he deserves immunity from criticism for life or anything - at least not yet. He got Frost here and kept the hiring process from becoming a circus. Those are big positives. But everything else points to Moos having little to no bargaining power. Frost got to bring his entire staff here, and they all received major raises, all the while being able to coach their previous team through the bowl game.

None of that matters if they’re all capable Power-5 coaches and we are able to hit the ground running with realistic achievements in the near future. But if there’s a bit of a hiccup, where we need to make coaching upgrades in a few spots, then Moos has to take a lot of the blame in my opinion. I have no trouble believing that Florida and Tennessee said no to Frost rather than the other way around.

I disagree. He could either let Frost bring all of his coaches, or tell Frost he can't bring all of his coaches. If the latter, either Frost doesn't come or they don't have as good of a relationship, and Frost doesn't feel like he owns the team. That can lead to a lot of problems, imo. The latter would make Moos a micro-manager. You have to trust the guy you picked to lead the team and that includes picking the coaches he starts with. If Frost ever has to replace coaches due to performance, that's on him and them, not Moos.

When it becomes a Moos problem is a few years down the line, when he might need to nudge Frost into replacing someone. But he shouldn't do what Eichorst is said to have done, which is tell him exactly who to hire.

• Plus1 3

I agree with you for the most part but it sounds like we were the only Power-5 team willing to let Frost name his price in every way, shape, and form. Which to be clear, I’m not saying is a bad thing yet. I think it’s very likely that we have a rockstar head coach and that his staff is exactly what he needs. But it’s also possible that a few of them will need to be replaced and that would be on Moos as well in my opinion.

The best barometer is to ask which assistants would have been hired at other successful schools in our conference. Walters had a couple of OC options, it feels like teams are hesitant to hire him when they think Frost is mostly responsible for UCF’s offense. But he still had options. Chinander seems like the perfect hire for our defense, I think he probably could have been promoted. But most of the other guys were considering staying at UCF until they saw the money - which Frost reportedly had to ask for more of. And our 10th assistant has no previous coaching experience, which I don’t mean as a knock on Ruud but he likely wouldn’t have been hired as a Power-5 guy right away.

Eichorst had to go but I also think there was tremendous external pressure to fire Banker and the Diaco hire was seen as one of the best hires of the off-season. That whole situation felt like boosters forcing his hand. That might have worked better from the start rather than year 3 when Riley desperately needed wins.

• Plus1 1

Don’t get confused with big names assistants, here or not. 

I feel like Frost is the big game catch, he knows what he needs to lure talent; coaches and players. 

If if we don’t have the success we think we need in a couple years (need to fire/hire new coaches) or we have so much success that these coaches get jobs elsewhere; then we can start to wonder. 

There is a long leash with Frost. But he knows what’s working or not. He’s in the film room, he’s in the meetings, he’s seeing it day to day. 

If Frost gets this train rolling but there are glaring weaknesses at a position group or recruiting he’ll make the changes. Or, if they’re super successful and we lose coaches to head hunters he’ll find the right people. 

This discussion is all nuance and conjecture, I mean..who cares. Let’s just go play the games and see how it shakes out over time.  We just CAN’T be worse than 4-8...right? 

• Plus1 2

Sometimes we as fan get so caught up in what happened with previous coaches...

Bo didn’t want to fire his assistants because they were winning 9 games a year... can you blame him?

Riley needed to make changes as we lost 7 games, then 5, then 8! It should’ve been a semi-red flag when he couldn’t get all of his assistants to come with him from Oregon state that he wanted.

Frost hasn’t even coached a game at Nebraska yet but we are already discussing which assistants will be canned first? Good grief guys. Frost understands part of the success N had was the staff continuity, he’s not going to can his assistants unless they break from what they are supposed to do or do something immoral. I’d start asking yourselves which Asst coach is going to get a better gig offer first....

It's always a little interesting to look back and see how close things were to going another direction.

What happens to Nebraska if Tom Osborne doesn't promise Frank Solich the head coaching job? Does Osborne stay on, and do we win another Championship in 1999? 2001?

What happens if Pederson doesn't fire Solich in 2003, and Bo's defensive changes keep the ship afloat?

What happens if Solich picks up recruiting and is still here - can you imagine if it's 2018 and we're only on our third different head coach since 1962?

What if Callahan fires Cosgrove and hires a good defensive coordinator?  Joey Ganz spends 2008 torching teams like the latter half of 2007, Suh is a monster, and we win a conference title. Would Callahan still be here if that was the case?

What if Taylor Martinez isn't hit just so in that Missouri game and doesn't screw up his foot/ankle?  Is he our fourth Heisman winner? 

What if Ndamukong Suh was held on the final offensive play against Texas in the Big XII Championship game?  Or even slowed down, just a little bit?  Think about the fact that we lost that game because Suh was too good, got to McCoy too fast on that play, and made him throw away the ball just an Nth too soon. 

So many possibilities.  Maybe Gill's pass on the two-point conversion is just three inches further to the right in 1983 and Osborne wins his first National Championship 11 years earlier.  Maybe the refs don't make two of the worst calls in football history on back-to-back plays in 1982 at Penn State and he wins that year, too.  Maybe Henery is just short on his 57-yarder in 2008 and we finish the decade .500 against Colorado. 

When you've got idle time in the offseason and time to think about stuff like this, it's kinda interesting to think how close things are to being so different. 

• Plus1 9

What if Shevin WIggins wore size 10 shoes instead of size 12?  

What if Lawrence Phillips had just eaten really a really buttery bagel before going to Kate's apartment? 

What if Harry Grimminger had jumped offsides before the snap of that failed 2-point conversion in the '84 OB? 

What if Wyoming had given Bob Devaney a $35,000 raise and five year contract extension in 1961? 

• Plus1 1