Get with The Program

From 247

https://247sports.com/college/nebraska/Article/Nebraska-Huskers-players-will-get-a-dose-of-heavy-training-from-an-outside-program-before-kicking-it-into-another-gear-with-Zach-Duval-119003778

Husker football players are about to get tested in a big way by some sources from the outside.

Nebraska will call on the services of The Program, a form of intense training and leadership-building run by former military personnel, who will work with players this upcoming Sunday through Tuesday, according to tight ends coach Sean Beckton.

The military-style training program was also used multiple times by Bo Pelini when he was the Husker head coach, and was something Scott Frost's players at UCF went through the past two years.

"They're going to put our players in a tough environment. They're going to put them in an environment where physically they have to do a lot of demanding things, and mentally they have to do a lot of demanding things," Beckton told some Husker fans in Blair as part of a 26-city tour by coaches. "We're going to find out who our leaders are. We're going to find out who's going to quit. We're going to find out guys we can depend on.

Also, a glimpse of it from last year's UCF team

• Plus1 3

1 hour ago, StPaulHusker said:

There's one guy on the team that will be every groups #1 pick.

Yeah, he's probly been through basic training that would make this look like kindergarten recess.  

• Plus1 3

On 6/14/2018 at 12:30 AM, Landlord said:

Dont' know if anyone will jump to a conclusion that this is a bad idea because Pelini's teams did it, but I can't see any possible way that this is anything other than a net positive for these guys, as players on the football field and as men in life.

Pelini did mostly everything right aside from his on the field antics and his bad coaching in big games.

• Plus1 3
3 hours ago, FearAmeer said:

Pelini did mostly everything right aside from his on the field antics and his bad coaching in big games.

Yeah, I will remind that I was very torn at the time of the decision. As a Huskers fan though I forced myself to buy in to the next coach.

Bo did do a lot of things right, you hit the nail on the head with the poor things. He just kept stepping on his own in front of national crowds.

• Plus1 1
40 minutes ago, ScottyIce said:

Yeah, I will remind that I was very torn at the time of the decision. As a Huskers fan though I forced myself to buy in to the next coach.

Bo did do a lot of things right, you hit the nail on the head with the poor things. He just kept stepping on his own in front of national crowds.

Losing Marvin and Carl hurt as well IMHO.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
On 6/14/2018 at 8:48 AM, NUance said:

Yeah, he's probly been through basic training that would make this look like kindergarten recess.  

You know, from what I remember...basic training really wasn't that difficult. 

From what I remember, there weren't all these team level tasks.  The drill instructors taught us stuff, and if someone messed up it was PT for the whole platoon.  And that was just PT for time.  I don't remember ever having to have the whole platoon do something correctly x number of times before it ended.  I also think that a LOT of training techniques the military uses today on regular troops (and programs like we're seeing here) has filtered down from the SpecOps.  And, I think it is a fairly recent phenomenon, say last 7-10 years or so.  I could also be mis-remembering since almost 30 years have passed since I was in basic training.  ;)

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, Making Chimichangas said:

You know, from what I remember...basic training really wasn't that difficult. 

From what I remember, there weren't all these team level tasks.  The drill instructors taught us stuff, and if someone messed up it was PT for the whole platoon.  And that was just PT for time.  I don't remember ever having to have the whole platoon do something correctly x number of times before it ended.  I also think that a LOT of training techniques the military uses today on regular troops (and programs like we're seeing here) has filtered down from the SpecOps.  And, I think it is a fairly recent phenomenon, say last 7-10 years or so.  I could also be mis-remembering since almost 30 years have passed since I was in basic training.  ;)

You were a Navy seal?   Well now, I am impressed!