After second national championship in three years, Cook gets a raise

I suppose he deserves it.  :D

After second national championship in three years, Cook gets a raise

In the seven months since Bill Moos became Nebraska's athletic director, he's had lots of praise for Nebraska volleyball coach John Cook. 

Now Moos has showed Cook how he feels about the job Cook's doing, with a raise for the four-time national champion coach.

Cook will soon be making $675,000 annually — a raise of $75,000 from last season — according to a copy of his contract obtained by the Journal Star. The contract was also extended one year and covers the next five seasons.

Cook, 62, has reached the point in his career when recruits, or their parents, ask him how long he’s going to be coaching. His answer is that he has an updated five-year plan for the  volleyball program, and he plans to coach at least that long.

Since becoming head coach at NU in 2000, Cook has led the Huskers to four NCAA titles, including a somewhat unexpected one last year. That was the second national championship in three years for the Huskers. Cook has also won 12 conference championships at Nebraska.

Among the most impressive stats during Cook’s NU tenure is that the Huskers have reached at least the third round of the NCAA Tournament in 17 of his 18 seasons, including eight Final Fours.

Cook’s record at NU is 531-69, a winning percentage of .885. He’s coached 23 first-team All-Americans, and NU players have gone on to have success as professional volleyball players. There were three ex-Huskers on the last Olympic team.

• Plus1 2

I mean I'd sure take it and it's not men's football or basketball but it seems like a bargain considering that he's one of the top volleyball coaches in the country and considering all he's done in his time here. Is a million per year completely out of the ball park for a women's college volleyball coach? Heck this is in line with what we're paying our women's basketball coach, so it seems low to me. I must be out of touch with what the pay scale is outside of football....

Cook's salary for 2009/2010 was $211,978 meaning he's making more than 3x more than he was eight years ago. 

In 2011/2012 he got a raise to $350,000.

In 2012/2013 he got a raise to $375,000.

In 2013/2014 he got a raise to $400,000.

In 2014/2015 he got a raise to $426,537.

In 2015/2016 he got a raise to $456,451.

In 2016/2017 he got a raise to $600,000.

Now, after his second national championship in three years, he's making $675,000. 

That's not bad. You can live on that in Lincoln, NE.

• Plus1 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/14/2018 at 10:17 AM, Comfortably Numb said:

I mean I'd sure take it and it's not men's football or basketball but it seems like a bargain considering that he's one of the top volleyball coaches in the country and considering all he's done in his time here. Is a million per year completely out of the ball park for a women's college volleyball coach? Heck this is in line with what we're paying our women's basketball coach, so it seems low to me. I must be out of touch with what the pay scale is outside of football....

You have to consider how much money the sport brings in. It brings in a lot compared to other volleyball teams but not compared to basketball or football.

1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

You have to consider how much money the sport brings in. It brings in a lot compared to other volleyball teams but not compared to basketball or football.

Yeah I understand that but it still seems like there's some room for it to be higher. If we're looking at the revenue other sports bring in and comparing to those, surely our volleyball team generates much more than WBB and our WBB coach is in the same neighborhood as Cook without near the notoriety or results. And I'm also heavily biased....I like volleyball and can't stand women's basketball.  But like I said, I really don't have much of a feel for coach compensation outside of top P5 football.

8 minutes ago, Comfortably Numb said:

Yeah I understand that but it still seems like there's some room for it to be higher. If we're looking at the revenue other sports bring in and comparing to those, surely our volleyball team generates much more than WBB and our WBB coach is in the same neighborhood as Cook without near the notoriety or results. And I'm also heavily biased....I like volleyball and can't stand women's basketball.  But like I said, I really don't have much of a feel for coach compensation outside of top P5 football.

Ya he should definitely be paid more than any coach of a team that doesn't make a profit. I also don't really like women's basketball. Someone (probably knapp) made an argument that stuck with me. Women's volleyball is better than men's volleyball because you need a lot of skill and you can't just power the ball past the other team every time like with men's. Whereas with women's basketball it's just like watching the same sport with less exciting athletes.

On 7/3/2018 at 7:00 PM, Comfortably Numb said:

I like volleyball and can't stand women's basketball. 

Of course I love volleyball. Best sport in the world, personally. :D

But I like women's hoops, too. They hustle, they shoot, they play scrappy defense.  They just don't dunk.

My favorite Husker basketball player of all time is Tear'a Laudermill. That girl was hustle personified. Pick your pocket if you blink.