ESPN Segment with Scott Frost hiking the Grand Canyon

I've gone on two major hikes in my life.

The first one was in Corado California and that was about a 1k foot elevation change, but was only about 10 miles total.

The second one was an 18 mile hike through wooded barely any elevation change.  But I hurt for days afterwords.   I want out of shape, but there is a huge difference between the 10 to 12 miles I did a day at work,  and 6 more I had to do that day.  Cousin had a food fracture because of it.   Much respect for what he accomplished at the GC

I accidentally hiked a mountain with the GF when we were in Italy... We were in Monarola of the Cinque Terre and we went to hike one of the trails. It forked and one path went up and the other went around. I asked her if she wanted to go up and she said yes. We figured it wouldn't be too bad. We ended up hiking up hill for almost an hour, with essentially a 1000 foot elevation change in about 2 miles. Then we had to get back down to sea level again in another 2 miles. Took almost 3 hours total and whooped our butts because we were in slip on shoes. She had jeans on and I had a button up long sleeve shirt on.

But oh my God were the views worth it! Hiking through terraced vineyards on a seaside cliff over looking colorful cliff side towns is something everyone needs to experience. I think that would tie with only the Grand Canyon hike for sheer beauty.

I guess hiking down and up on a Donkey, wouldn't count as a hike. 

Haven't done that either, but i did look down at it.

My wife has done the down to the bottom, camped and then hiked back up. I made sure no one used our room. :lol:

GBR!!!

Edited by huskered17
  • Plus1 1

Conspiracy theory: Frost injured his ankle on this trip, requiring surgery. They show everyone going down, but there isn't really anything on them going back up.

My guess is he tweaked his ankle on the trek back up and that's why they don't show much of it.

He said the surgery was to fix something from his playing days, which is probably true. According to Marty Smith's Twitter account, it looks like the trek occurred on May 21 or 22. Frost tweaks his old injury, then has surgery shortly after. That's why he was on crutches on the state tour in western Nebraska.

What does all of this mean? Nothing really. Just something that popped into my head watching the segment. 

• Plus1 1
On 6/17/2018 at 9:32 PM, Mike Mcdee said:

That's awesome. I've hiked down Bright Angel Trail and over and out Horseshoe Mesa. My feet were wrecked. Hope coach didn't tweak his ankle and that's why he needed the clean up surgery last week. 

Bright Angel trail is awesome.  I love the signs at the top.  One says "The Trail is neither as steep or as narrow as you will tell your friends when you get back home"  and  "There is no doubt, if the donkey stumbles, you'll both fall to your deaths.  But the donkeys, never stumble."  Great stuff.  Only had time to go down about a mile, but that was enough for me, especially the trip back up.

• Plus1 1