Chinander on His Defense

34 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

How to you spell rebirth of 1990's aggressive D - Chinander

I'm always positive going into a new season but this is still the same old coach speak we've been hearing for years now. Sometimes it makes us excited for the season which is good, but we've had terrible coaches say all the right things before.

Anyhow, my point is, we have no idea whether Chinander will make the defense great. In fact there's argument to be had that UCF didn't do a good job at the end of last year and a lot of UCF fans weren't too happy with him. I fall on the side of not holding that against him since the team was tired and playing againat the best offenses they'd faced all year. But still.

• Plus1 7

The team is apparently, from all the reports, etc., working their butts off to get in better shape and stronger.  That has to help as the team should not be getting tired as the game progresses,   A step or two quicker (less slow from fatigue at a minimum) should allow them to play aggressively and not so tenatatively.   Many a tackle are missed because the defender was just little late to the spot.   Playing harder impacts the mental state of the opponent.   There is reason to believe the team will have an idea what they are doing most of the time and defending our fast pace offense in practice will also strengthen the defense against mental as well as physical fatigue.   I suspect we will see more substitutions and this will also help.   

Coaches can only say so much.  Strategy will become obvious as a season progresses but coaches make slight adjustments to hide schemes, show alternatives, etc.   Let's all try to be positive and not so critical.  The coaches deserve a chance to build the team.     

• Plus1 2

12 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

No it doesn't. Realistic expectations for Nebraska are different than they are for Iowa. But there are unrealistic expectations, like expecting a national championship this season.

I expect Nebraska to be in the Conference title game.  Just as I have every single year since that was the adopted format.

I think the biggest thing people will need to keep in mind is that while Chinander's defense will resemble the blitzing, attacking defense we're used to, it is probable that the results will not be as dominating.  

For one thing, many offenses from the 90's were pretty standard: immobile QB, 2 backs, a TE, etc and the zone read hadn't been developed yet.  Today, practically every offense spreads you out, goes uptempo, and gets yards/scores points.

You see it even with the top teams like Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson...sometimes even those defenses give up 30+ points to an opponent.

So I think Chinander's defense will be fine, just need to remember that playing a blitzing attacking style is risk vs reward a d sometimes the offense wins.

• Plus1 6
7 hours ago, Making Chimichangas said:

I think the biggest thing people will need to keep in mind is that while Chinander's defense will resemble the blitzing, attacking defense we're used to, it is probable that the results will not be as dominating.  

For one thing, many offenses from the 90's were pretty standard: immobile QB, 2 backs, a TE, etc and the zone read hadn't been developed yet.  Today, practically every offense spreads you out, goes uptempo, and gets yards/scores points.

You see it even with the top teams like Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson...sometimes even those defenses give up 30+ points to an opponent.

So I think Chinander's defense will be fine, just need to remember that playing a blitzing attacking style is risk vs reward a d sometimes the offense wins.

Very good points.  The complete shutdown only giving up 10pts a game is most likely a thing of the past, just by the nature of the way teams play offense today.  

To add to this, don't expect miracles in year 1.  The defense was terrible last year, ranked in the 100's, don't expect to be top 10 or even top 25 next year.   It they can statistically move into the top 50 that will be a great accomplishment.  

I expect to see a much more attacking defense, we saw quite a bit of that in the spring game.  They are much more willing to take chances and that will pay off to the tune of more sacks, TFL's and TO.  You will also see them get burned sometimes, it is going to happen.   Getting burned 2-3 times a game for big plays if mixed in with 8-9 negative plays is much more preferable to the slow death of 7 yards per play we saw last year.  

• Plus1 1

The 2016 squad finished the season ranked #30 for total defense and #33 for scoring defense. This year's schedule is tougher, but I'd say a D ranked in the 30s is a perfectly reasonable goal.

• Plus1 1