Chinander on His Defense

• 2 weeks later...

Speed and quickness and toughness and physicality are all essential ingredients to a defense that can dominate and attack and create turnovers.   When the defense is the aggressor as opposed to being a preventer or waiting and reading and then trying to slow the oppoent down and eventually get them to punt or attempt field goals (the Riley strategic goal it seemed to me), then you will see more 3 & outs but also likely more mistakes and glaring misses which allow for more big plays.  The key is that team speed on this attacking defense will allow for recovery and eventual tackles before the offense can score.   You have to be able to run down the opponent before he scores, even if its a 20 yard gain.  

Some used to refer to the soft non-attacking approach as  "bend but don't break' or 'prevent' or keep em in front of you defense (Diaco's 'strain' approach - I guess that's what he was trying to do ????    Theory being:   force the offense to run more snaps and sooner or later they will make mistakes and fail to execute (missed blocks, penalties, dropped passes, errant throws, t, misreads, mental mistakes, etc).   This might make sense, in my view, in a few circumstances where time is short and the field positiion poor but otherwise, it is foolish.  You need to send the message that you are the aggressor and you are coming after them wherever and whenever they have the ball.  Football is a game of physical and mental toughness and domination.   You can combine chess like strategy and out guess the opponent in down and distance and matchup situations, sometimes, but in general the winner is almost always the toughest, strongest, fastest, best conditioned team. 

You win the game by beating the opponent down physically and mentally and intimidating them.   You can out smart them for a handful of plays but to win consistantly, you have to pound them into submission physically on defense and by wearing them out offensively.   Osborne crammed the ball down the opponent's throats with relentless blocking and hard and powerful runs.   He made the defense tackle and tackle and tackle after many first downs.   Frost, on the other end of the spectrum offensively, wears the opponent out by running them to death and denying them the opportunity to rest between snaps.   Frost is playgroung style at a breakneck pace.   

The key will be whether we can stop the opponent's offense from doing to us what Osborne did to everybody.  Can we hold the line often enough to permit Frost to outscore them.  ? 

• Plus1 2

It still all comes down to Defence. You can't say we will just out score everyone 60-57. 

Clemson proved it in the 2016 game against Ohio St. 31-0. They showed Defence still wins games. That shutout tells me it can still be done the way T O and McBride did it. I don't expect to see that type of D any time soon or maybe never again, but to read that can't be done again, doesn't hold water. We will be a better D this season and get better as these coaches get the players they need. I hope we are headed in the right direction. I'm willing to wait on it.

GBR!!!

17 minutes ago, huskered17 said:

It still all comes down to Defence. You can't say we will just out score everyone 60-57. 

You'll notice most of my favorite stats to post are differential stats, because they give a quick picture of the team, not one side of the ball. It's not about just your defense or just your offense, or if every game is 16-9 or 60-57. For every example of a team being dominant on the defensive side there exists one that couldn't get over the hump because they couldn't score. Nebraska alone has had potential title contending teams that were strong enough on one side, but weak on the other.

We won't get where we want without both, but I will say teams that aren't in recruiting hotbeds need to make sure they can score. You control the ball on offense, therefore you can adapt systems easier to reflect your ability to attract talent. Defenses are built on talent, that's how you generate numerical advantages on that side of the ball. If there is one thing I'm concerned with early with this staff, it's defensive recruiting. The offense can sell past production, this defense needs to go out and become a billboard for future players to want to play in.

• Plus1 2
5 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Some used to refer to the soft non-attacking approach as  "bend but don't break' or 'prevent' or keep em in front of you defense (Diaco's 'strain' approach - I guess that's what he was trying to do ????    Theory being:   force the offense to run more snaps and sooner or later they will make mistakes and fail to execute (missed blocks, penalties, dropped passes, errant throws, t, misreads, mental mistakes, etc).

Like I said in another thread, the better offenses can and will out-execute against a defense like that. Bo was often guilty of it too: how many times did we hear him say "we just didn't execute"?

On ‎6‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 10:12 AM, Moiraine said:

I'm always positive going into a new season but this is still the same old coach speak we've been hearing for years now. Sometimes it makes us excited for the season which is good, but we've had terrible coaches say all the right things before.

Anyhow, my point is, we have no idea whether Chinander will make the defense great. In fact there's argument to be had that UCF didn't do a good job at the end of last year and a lot of UCF fans weren't too happy with him. I fall on the side of not holding that against him since the team was tired and playing againat the best offenses they'd faced all year. But still.

Having back-to-back rough performances to finish the season made me nervous but the bowl had me feeling better. Auburn had 14 possessions and only came-up with 27 points, plus the UCF defense came-up with three turnovers and a score.  Overall, in terms of defensive efficiency(key stat for up-tempo teams) UCF was #32 and in turnovers they were second in the country. That's respectable for a defense that had to replace seven starters going into the season. Only time will tell how Chin does but he does seem like a Nebraska kind of guy and only going into his third season as a DC he should improve with experience. 

8 hours ago, Danimal said:

Only time will tell how Chin does but he does seem like a Nebraska kind of guy and only going into his third season as a DC he should improve with experience. 

And he knows if he doesn't perform, he's gone. This staff is very real about these things, they don't shy away from the lofty expectations intrinsic to this program. He's also not tied down to one set style, something that seems to affect defensive coordinators especially. If it's not working, or somebody finds a new way, he'll change. 

I'm interested in how he does in the Big Ten, which is almost the opposite of the AAC. Every defense here is seemingly good, and most offenses are not.  It was talented G5 schools like USF and Memphis rather than P5 schools that gave them the most problems the past two years. You would expect P5 schools, especially of the stature of Michigan and Auburn to run all over a G5 school, but it was just the opposite, they more than held their own upfront. That's a great sign, imo.

• Plus1 2

16 hours ago, Toe said:

Like I said in another thread, the better offenses can and will out-execute against a defense like that. Bo was often guilty of it too: how many times did we hear him say "we just didn't execute"?

The question becomes, will that same offense still do the same against the same personnel if the defense played a different style? At some point, it becomes a question on if the defense has enough horses regardless of what they try to do. In an alternate possession sport like football, less talented teams should not try to be conservative and slow down the game. They just lose to attrition that way.

Another way way to look at this is in the framework of this offense, which we assume based on its history will be a highly efficient scoring offense. What does a defense need to do to complement that? Stop the opponents passing game, because you're often in the lead. That usually entails getting to the QB.

The big question for me this year will be the defensive backfield.  We are thin in numbers and talent and a few injuries would be killer.Can this years D make up some perceived deficiencies by tweaking other parts?  The Huskers brought in 5 DB's in 18....2 jucos and 3 freshmen.  I hope they are ready to play.

• 2 weeks later...

Chin's defense has no stars, no big time players.  Be prepared, this D is going to struggle as there is very little proven talent to work with this year.

i expect we will have to wait a couple more seasons to get/develop some good D talent on the field. Give this guy some time here.