Chinander on His Defense

13 minutes ago, brophog said:

Banker got fired in year 2. Rankings don't mean squat if you're negotiating your buyout rather than negotiating opposing QBs. 

Banker was fired abruptly in January while on the road recruiting.  It had nothing to do with what he was doing during the year.

Here's the thing.  If the offense is good and scoring bunches of points (which I think they have the weapons to do so). It only helps the defense play fast and loose.  If they are energetic with 11 guys flying to the football no matter what the scheme they will seem much better than last year.  I've been part of defenses that were very good that were on the field for 45 min a game because the offense was terrible.  Much easier to go back on the field two plays later because your team scored rather than two plays later because of an INT

10 hours ago, The Dude said:

The problem with this reasoning is far too often people use it to justify poor defense even in the modern context.

We're not ranked 30th/90th/whatever because the game has changed.  We're ranked that because there's 30-90 better defenses.

The only thing stopping Nebraska from being elite on defense over the last 7 seasons has been Nebraska.

The problem with your reasoning here is there is no acknowledgement of how the stats are accrued.  For example in Diaco's defense, they were soft, DBs played 8-10 yards off receivers, and we had no pass rush.  Under Chinander's defense, we're going to have a pass rush, we're going to blitz, and be aggressive. 

So what I am saying holds: we may still give up yards and points, but those yards and points we give up will more than likely be the result of a mistake, rather than being soft or playing with little to no effort.

36 minutes ago, Making Chimichangas said:

The problem with your reasoning here is there is no acknowledgement of how the stats are accrued.  For example in Diaco's defense, they were soft, DBs played 8-10 yards off receivers, and we had no pass rush.  Under Chinander's defense, we're going to have a pass rush, we're going to blitz, and be aggressive. 

I mean, if we end up with the 102nd defense this year, none of that really matters.

• Plus1 2

On 7/13/2018 at 3:00 PM, The Dude said:

I mean, if we end up with the 102nd defense this year, none of that really matters.

I think the biggest (and least misleading) stat to look at on defense is 3rd down efficiency.  Defenses with high rankings in this stat as a rule are usually pretty highly ranked in most all the other stats by default *. 

* I think anyway.  I haven't done any actual research to see if this holds true.  I think it would because if a defense is getting the offense to punt routinely after 3rd down, that means less yards (both through the air and on thd ground) and giving up less yards overall ranks a defense higher in the four major statistical categories.

4 hours ago, Making Chimichangas said:

I think the biggest (and least misleading) stat to look at on defense is 3rd down efficiency.  Defenses with high rankings in this stat as a rule are usually pretty highly ranked in most all the other stats by default *. 

* I think anyway.  I haven't done any actual research to see if this holds true.  I think it would because if a defense is getting the offense to punt routinely after 3rd down, that means less yards (both through the air and on thd ground) and giving up less yards overall ranks a defense higher in the four major statistical categories.

Probably somewhat true, unless of course the defense is failing to even get teams to third downs...

On 7/12/2018 at 1:13 PM, brophog said:

It's not as if opposing fans didn't warn us about Diaco. 

Sometimes you just have a nutcase for a defensive coordinator.

I remember posts from UConn fans and maybe some ND fans too...they told us how Bobby was nuts, they said to get ready for no pressure on the QB, get ready for WR's catching 10 yard passes all day, get ready for post game comments that were filled with excuses and crazy talk.  I also remember a lot of Husker fans shouting those guys down over and over.

• Plus1 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

On 7/26/2018 at 11:25 AM, BIG ERN said:

UCF defense was 120th in yards per completion last year. Gave up some big plays in that department. 

Not good, and they were 116 in pass defense. But I'm (almost) ok with that if we are in the top 5 in turnover margin like UCF was. That's better than sucking at both.

In 2016 UCF was 28th in pass defense and 54th in TO margin.

So I have no clue what to expect, except that I think we'll be better than last year. Although I thought the same thing last year.

I'm freaking out over the words expect and except. They use the same letters!

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Not good, and they were 116 in pass defense. But I'm (almost) ok with that if we are in the top 5 in turnover margin like UCF was. That's better than sucking at both.

In 2016 UCF was 28th in pass defense

I'm not OK with those numbers, but there is a catch.  Here's a few Big Ten teams from last year ranked nationally for average opponent passing yards.

Minnesota 11

Indiana 28

Illinois 32

Obviousy those weren't great defenses. Part of it is those teams were pretty easy to run against so teams opted to do so, but another is the quality of Big Ten offenses, which skews the defensive numbers for Big Ten teams. 

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, Moiraine said:

In 2016 UCF was 28th in pass defense and 54th in TO margin.

So I have no clue what to expect, except that I think we'll be better than last year. Although I thought the same thing last year.

I'm freaking out over the words expect and except. They use the same letters!

My theory continues to be there are more offensive guys to go around than there are defensive guys.  So the Power 5 schools can (generally) find enough of both to be fairly balanced but the G5 teams are left to make due with what's left which is more offense than defense.

I might be completely pulling this out of my @$$ but it seems to make sense and I'm going to go with it until the Chin proves me wrong (hopefully never).

• Plus1 1

Best stat/quote I’ve heard from chinander “80% of drives end with no points if there was a sack/negative play”. It’s been awhile since I read that but that was the gist of it.  My take is we will find balance some plays will slip but we will create plenty of disruption too.  The main difference is we will have an offense that can take advantage of that for once!