2018 Husker Camp Countdown

12 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

The shortest distance between two points is a straight line.   But more importantly, if your line is slow, lumbering and mediocre, at best, in moving and making holes, your left with pass pass pass (sack, sack, INT, incomplete, sack, short gain, etc. and repeat as necessary).   Or, you attempt to use bulk when finesse doesn't work.   Dance in the backfield and you get no gain or loss of two.   

I feel like you have literally no idea what Frost's offense is about.

• Plus1 4

7 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I feel like you have literally no idea what Frost's offense is about.

Admittedly, I have not seen much of it yet.   If I had to give an example, I would say, the Leach Red Raiders offense at Texas Tech of some years back.   Passes two thirds of the time and some of the 'spread option' (an option I think generally sucks).  Two many receivers running all over the place and not enough 'run the dam ball' for my taste.   Not a good offense in the red zone.   I hope I am way off but this is my vision.  Feast or famine.  Sandlot football in a big stadium.         

5 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Admittedly, I have not seen much of it yet.   If I had to give an example, I would say, the Leach Red Raiders offense at Texas Tech of some years back.   Passes two thirds of the time and some of the 'spread option' (an option I think generally sucks).  Two many receivers running all over the place and not enough 'run the dam ball' for my taste.   Not a good offense in the red zone.   I hope I am way off but this is my vision.  Feast or famine.         

Why choose Texas Tech when you have physical evidence of what Frost's offense looks like in UCF?  If you'd prefer a P5 version, check out Oregon when Frost was the OC there.

• Plus1 1
26 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Admittedly, I have not seen much of it yet.   If I had to give an example, I would say, the Leach Red Raiders offense at Texas Tech of some years back.   Passes two thirds of the time and some of the 'spread option' (an option I think generally sucks).  Two many receivers running all over the place and not enough 'run the dam ball' for my taste.   Not a good offense in the red zone.   I hope I am way off but this is my vision.  Feast or famine.  Sandlot football in a big stadium.         

Why are you complaining about something when you don't know much at all about the something?

UCF was ranked 71st in pass to run ratio last year. 46.6% of their offensive plays were passes. 

• Plus1 3

#25 - Freedom Akinmoladun

6-4, 280 • Senior • Defensive end

The tight end-turned-defensive end will be a key pass rusher in Erik Chinander’s defense. Stunts to the inside are in Akinmoladun’s future. After a team-high 4½ sacks as a redshirt freshman in 2015, it looked like Akinmoladun could be Nebraska’s next great pass rusher. But he had five total sacks the next two years. With an aggressive front under Chinander, Akinmoladun’s Husker career should end like it started: with plays in the backfield.

OWH

7 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

The shortest distance between two points is a straight line.   But more importantly, if your line is slow, lumbering and mediocre, at best, in moving and making holes, your left with pass pass pass (sack, sack, INT, incomplete, sack, short gain, etc. and repeat as necessary).   Or, you attempt to use bulk when finesse doesn't work.   Dance in the backfield and you get no gain or loss of two. '

And, finally, we have not seen any real lightning in the RB core so if you can't break tackles or push the pile, you gotta be elite elusive.   None of our backs are Troy Davis who was able to run inside and effectively outside some despite a lackluster O line.   I will be quite happy if we put a RB out there who can make the big plays and get first downs consistantly.   I have always looked at a RB's stats with this simple .  Assuming a runner has 40 or so carries to get him a decent sample number of plays, then throw out the two longest and two shortest carries and compute his average per carry.   That will give a better indication of his 'typical' gain.

We haven't seen enough of our RBs catching passes out of the backfield to really assess their capabilities either as our QBs and or O line, hasn't been able set up and make these plays.   I love the good old fashioned screen pass but it seems nobody really knows how to call them situationally or properly executed them in so long, you have to go back to Callahan (and that is too painful) to see many.    We've had far too many third and longs facing almost certain blitz and so on.  Those plays are high risk and more often than not end badly.      The run game needs to keep us in 3rd and short and medium.  Our QB play will need to be better than we've seen in half a dozen years as well.   Houdini will have to work his Qb magic to save us as well.   

That rambling made no coherent point at all. It was just a bunch of sentences out together. Can you try to make your points clearly and concisely?

• Plus1 7
14 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

That rambling made no coherent point at all. It was just a bunch of sentences out together. Can you try to make your points clearly and concisely?

Well I'd say I made a good half dozen points if you bother to think about things.   You complain about long, detailed comments so I shorten them up to simple sentences with a significant point in each and you complain.   You don't agree with the basic points so you dismiss them without a rebuttal of any kind.   Identify even one or two of the points made about our offenses of the past decade and I'll be happy to reply if need be.   

Many comments  on this board are one or two sentences and fail to address fundamental FACTS and make generalized statements.   I've been a player, devoted Husker fan and watcher of the game for over 45 years, having attended Husker games since the late 1960s.    I have not attended more than a handful since 2015, sadly, due to living half a country away.  Prior thereto, I maybe missed only a dozen total.  I quit watching the NFL some years ago.  I don't think I've missed much.  The game has evolved I agree but fundamentally it has not changed that much.

Opinions differ.   I almost never make snide or insulting remarks about points made by some (not pointing any fingers) that simply defy commense sense or reasoning or logic.   Time will tell and I remain very optimistic that Frost will coach this team much better than previous coaches and wins will come more often.  But until we rebuild and reload the talent, we're going to need to use the talent we have now better and get much better effort and smarter play from all.  

This fall's success or lack thereof, it seems to me, will hang on whether the O line and QB play is dramatically improved and not so much on the scheme or tempo or other strategic things.  This is an inconvenient reality in my opinion.    

' 

• Plus1 1

Who is arguing with you about o-line play? What team in the country in successful without good o-line play? 

You admit you have little knowledge about the offense that will be ran. I have an idea for you: wait until the first couple games are over to come here spewing your “knowledge”. 

18 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

This fall's success or lack thereof, it seems to me, will hang on whether the O line and QB play is dramatically improved and not so much on the scheme or tempo or other strategic things. 

The game is still about blocking and tackling; using that leverage to gain advantages. In the age of size and strength being ubiquitous, there are better ways of doing that than pitting as many large and hulking bodies against each other. Modern offensive designs are about using angles and space to compliment the blocking. It's about making it easier on the offensive line and QB. Schemes and philosophies are just tools to accomplish that.

As cool as an offense like Frost's is, this is not some reinvention. It's more taking old ideas and repackaging them. This staff speaks very loudly on the importance of detail, on fundamentals. We are in good hands.

43 minutes ago, VizionNE said:

Who is arguing with you about o-line play? What team in the country in successful without good o-line play? 

You admit you have little knowledge about the offense that will be ran. I have an idea for you: wait until the first couple games are over to come here spewing your “knowledge”. 

Um, excuse me.  Could the other side do the same thing ... all things being equal? Or, this could be a free and open dialogues based on our experience, knowledge and hope.

Itry to enjoy all viewpoints ..  even the kool-aid drinkers.  :-)  

#24 - Alex Davis

6-5, 255 • junior • linebacker

Three sacks and an interception in the spring game will make a name rise on preseason charts. It was also just a spring game. Davis hasn’t had as much production in true games, registering 17 tackles and 1 1⁄2 sacks in 2017. But with the outside linebacker position opposite Breon Dixon wide open, Davis could sneak in and find some serious playing time. The outside linebacker has to do it all: cover, disguise, rush the passer. Davis seems to have come a long way from being a hand-on-the-ground lineman, his career could break open this season.

OWH

#23 - Marquel Dismuke

6-2, 195 • sophomore • defensive back

The safety position is solid. Aaron Williams and Antonio Reed are the two veteran starters, behind them are Dismuke, Deontai Williams and a handful of young guns. But Dismuke has impressed coaches since their arrival in December. The Calabasas (Calif.) product had 34 tackles in 2017 and one fumble recovery. Reed and Williams should get a bulk of the snaps in 2018, but Dismuke will be an important backup.

OWH