June 2018: How do you feel about the 2020 election right now?

How are you currently planning to vote in the 2020 election?  

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've been thinking this would be neat for a while, but this seemed like as good a time as any in the midst of the midterm primary season. 

Pretty straightforward. Everything is anonymous. Feel free to discuss your vote if you don't mind people knowing what you think. If nothing else we can look back and see how opinions change in the run up to 2020. 

I’ve never agreed  with the Republican  agenda,  and after seeing Trump  take that to a whole new level of bad, I will definitely vote for anyone but him . I prefer Democratic ideals so I will vote accordingly , though i do hope they run a better candidate than last time . 

• Plus1 2

Assuming the democratic candidate isn't Kanye, I'll vote for him/her.

I think there should be another option: Vote for the person with the best chance of beating Trump.

I'm holding out hope that someone like Kasich or McMullen will primary Trump and beat him. Although chance of that are almost 0%, it's still fun to dream....

Here's where I'm at personally.

I could fit into the Anyone but Trump or Dem 2020, voted for Clinton categories. I voted for the latter because I'm happier to vote for a Democrat with liberal policy stances than some of my moderate or conservative anti-Trump friends.

For those wary of the potential 2020 Democratic field, here's a recent power rankings of sorts from the Washington Post. Some of them are laughable (Oprah? Really?) while some are probably cringe-inducing for some (Holder, McAuliffe, Cuomo would be particularly odious I would think), there are some good names too. 

Personally I feel like someone like Sherrod Brown could really cut into Trump's populist appeal in the Midwest with working class voters. But first and foremost Dems have to nominate somebody who can go toe to toe with Trump's brash behavior & insults without debasing themselves & our government in the process. But they've also got to offer something real to vote FOR, not just AGAINST.

• Plus1 1

"Anyone but Trump."

I don't know who I'm voting for in 2020. I can say that if the Devil himself runs against Trump, I'll flip a coin.

I'm not writing the Democrats a blank check. But any person with a reasonable shot of ousting Trump from the White House and returning this country to its rightful place in the world is someone I'll vote for.

If that's an Independent, fine.  If it's a Democrat, fine. Republican, fine. As long as they're MODERATE, I'm on board. 

Anyone - ANYONE - from either political extreme will get my displeasure, wherever I can voice it. So if you're sick and tired of hearing me bitch about Trump, vote for a Moderate next time & maybe I'll slow my roll. 

I'd be bitching about Clinton right now if she'd have won. Just bitching about different things. 

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, Clifford Franklin said:

Here's where I'm at personally.

I could fit into the Anyone but Trump or Dem 2020, voted for Clinton categories. I voted for the latter because I'm happier to vote for a Democrat with liberal policy stances than some of my moderate or conservative anti-Trump friends.

For those wary of the potential 2020 Democratic field, here's a recent power rankings of sorts from the Washington Post. Some of them are laughable (Oprah? Really?) while some are probably cringe-inducing for some (Holder, McAuliffe, Cuomo would be particularly odious I would think), there are some good names too. 

Personally I feel like someone like Sherrod Brown could really cut into Trump's populist appeal in the Midwest with working class voters. But first and foremost Dems have to nominate somebody who can go toe to toe with Trump's brash behavior & insults without debasing themselves & our government in the process. But they've also got to offer something real to vote FOR, not just AGAINST.

I still wonder why Joe Kennedy doesn’t even get a mention on those lists ? I’ve heard too young ? Maybe he doesn’t want to? Idk To me he’s the perfect anti Trump, level headed , thoughtful, charismatic, seemingly down to earth ( yeah I know he’s rich though ) , and a very good public speaker/motivator . 

"undecided".  I almost always vote.  And I guess I'm undecided in every race.  I wait and see who I like best.  I don't care which party they're from.  I vote Democrat and Republican about equally often.  When neither of the major parties fields a halfway decent candidate, I vote independent.  (like the last POTUS election.  ugh)

• Plus1 2

49 minutes ago, Big Red 40 said:

I still wonder why Joe Kennedy doesn’t even get a mention on those lists ? I’ve heard too young ? Maybe he doesn’t want too? Idk To me he’s the perfect anti Trump, level headed , thoughtful, charismatic, seemingly down to earth ( yeah I know he’s rich though ) , and a very good public speaker/motivator . 

I thought his response to the SOTU address this year was pretty well done, though I hope he eases up on his chapstick usage. :lol:

I tend to think he's maybe too young to make the jump, though I agree with the rest of your list. He is a very good speaker. Fun fact: The only president to be elected straight out of the House was James A. Garfield in 1880. Ford was elected VP. Given you generally want someone with more governing experience, I think Kennedy would make an excellent VP candidate. 

My GF really loves Warren. I tend to think she'd make a better VP as well, since her unabashedly progressive views might turn off people like Knapp who are looking for a moderate IF they are also more amenable to a second term for Trump.

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, Comfortably Numb said:

I suppose I’m in The anyone but Trump camp but my real answer is I’m nowhere near ready for the endless joke of an election cycle. I’m so sick of our system and the piss poor choices top to bottom. 

I heard CNN is starting a countdown to the first 2020 primary debate clock the day after the midterms in November...

1 hour ago, NUance said:

"undecided".  I almost always vote.  And I guess I'm undecided in every race.  I wait and see who I like best.  I don't care which party they're from.  I vote Democrat and Republican about equally often.  When neither of the major parties fields a halfway decent candidate, I vote independent.  (like the last POTUS election.  ugh)

this one i'm not sure i understand. There are huge differences in ideology between Democrat and Republican platforms. To some extent between Progressives and Democrats too, though i don't see so much. I realize that money really controls everything, and most politicians are liars lol,  but the base message is very different, so undecided makes no sense to me. Idk