June 2018: How do you feel about the 2020 election right now?

How are you currently planning to vote in the 2020 election?  

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 hours ago, Big Red 40 said:

this one i'm not sure i understand. There are huge differences in ideology between Democrat and Republican platforms. To some extent between Progressives and Democrats too, though i don't see so much. I realize that money really controls everything, and most politicians are liars lol,  but the base message is very different, so undecided makes no sense to me. Idk

Each party would like you to believe that.  But, like a lot of things politicians say, it's not true.  There are huge differences between the extreme fringes of each party.  The presidential candidates, however, seldom come from the extremes of the party.  Presidential candidates are nearly always centrists.  (An exception to this was Ron Reagan.)  Presidential candidates are often farther away in ideology from the extreme fringes of their own party than they are from their opponent.  

And besides, neither party as a whole seems to carry through with what they stand for.  As I understand it the Republicans are supposed to be fiscally responsible.  They're not.  And the Democrats are supposed to be socially responsible.  They're not.  So voting for a candidate based on what party they belong to is a useless endeavor.  /imho

• Plus1 1

I could have done the "anyone but Trump".  But, I went with "the candidate best aligned with me".  

I could have also gone with "A Republican that's not Trump".  This would be my preference.  But, it would have to be a Republican that isn't supporting this disaster of an administration.

That's the thing. There are probably a handful of buckets most everyone could fit in.

Maybe when I make the next one I will include multiple choices. 

@BigRedBuster I wonder who that would even be at this point. Your choices are essentially Kasich or of the retiring Senators like Corker or Flake. Even people like Romney or Rubio who at one point resisted Trump are now knee deep in this clusterf#ck of an administration.

1 minute ago, Clifford Franklin said:

That's the thing. There are probably a handful of buckets most everyone could fit in.

Maybe when I make the next one I will include multiple choices. 

@BigRedBuster I wonder who that would even be at this point. Your choices are essentially Kasich or of the retiring Senators like Corker or Flake. Even people like Romney or Rubio who at one point resisted Trump are now knee deep in this clusterf#ck of an administration.

Evan McMullen is the cofounder of StandupRepublic.  

14 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I could have done the "anyone but Trump".  But, I went with "the candidate best aligned with me".  

I could have also gone with "A Republican that's not Trump".  This would be my preference.  But, it would have to be a Republican that isn't supporting this disaster of an administration.

Yeah, I changed mine to Candidate best aligned with me regardless of party. That is basically the same as saying anyone but Trump but it allows for some discernment of the candidates, as poor as they likely will be. I find it a little disappointing that almost everyone didn't pick that choice. I suppose many people feel pretty confident what they will get from "the other" party so I kind of get those choices but I'm more in the camp of we're pretty well screwed no matter which party.

22 minutes ago, Comfortably Numb said:

Yeah, I changed mine to Candidate best aligned with me regardless of party. That is basically the same as saying anyone but Trump but it allows for some discernment of the candidates, as poor as they likely will be. I find it a little disappointing that almost everyone didn't pick that choice. I suppose many people feel pretty confident what they will get from "the other" party so I kind of get those choices but I'm more in the camp of we're pretty well screwed no matter which party.

Yeah...I'm not sure why it's not 100% "candidate which aligns with me".  

5 hours ago, NUance said:

Each party would like you to believe that.  But, like a lot of things politicians say, it's not true.  There are huge differences between the extreme fringes of each party.  The presidential candidates, however, seldom come from the extremes of the party.  Presidential candidates are nearly always centrists.  (An exception to this was Ron Reagan.)  Presidential candidates are often farther away in ideology from the extreme fringes of their own party than they are from their opponent.  

And besides, neither party as a whole seems to carry through with what they stand for.  As I understand it the Republicans are supposed to be fiscally responsible.  They're not.  And the Democrats are supposed to be socially responsible.  They're not.  So voting for a candidate based on what party they belong to is a useless endeavor.  /imho

I guess if we assume all the candidates are liars I’m picking the liar that promises to work towards expanded Medicare/universal healthcare .

I also like the liar that supports equality for all, where skin  color , sexual orientation , religion etc doesn’t matter. Every American  citizen deserves a good life not just a select few . 

Liars who tell me they’ll work to guarantee all Americans who work,  a livable wage , decent benefits, and dignified safe treatment  in return for their labor, are good too . 

If they say they’re going to fix social security , and other programs that I may need some day , I love the way they lie to me. 

Tell me you want to try to get us out of this endless cycle of war we’re in . Stop spending ridiculous sums of money on it, and destroying lives. I’m good with that kind of lie too . 

That list could go on but my point is , A typical democrat is going to support that thinking and a republican usually won’t .  

I think most candidates go in with good intentions but get bogged down by partisan politics, lobbyists , and the corporate overlords who really pull the strings . If they will even attempt to do some of the things that will effect my life and make it better though they get my vote. 

• Plus1 3

8 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

The sad thing is.....there was a very small part of me that wanted to vote for "not going to vote".

A vote for President in Nebraska doesn't mean squat anyway.

There are some pretty tight looking state races that are pretty important. 

• Plus1 1

I vote for best candidate that aligns wt me -  It won't be Trump but most likely a repub, indep, or libertarian.  If Kasich & Evan McMullen  could form a ticket - that would be great.

If some pro-life dem showed up unannounced on a space rocket from Mars - I'd could possibly vote for that person. 

But this should be our theme song: