June 2018: How do you feel about the 2020 election right now?

How are you currently planning to vote in the 2020 election?  

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

46 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

The sad thing is.....there was a very small part of me that wanted to vote for "not going to vote".

A vote for President in Nebraska doesn't mean squat anyway.

It does in Douglas County. 

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Big Red 40 said:

I guess if we assume all the candidates are liars I’m picking the liar that promises to work towards expanded Medicare/universal healthcare .

I also like the liar that supports equality for all, where skin  color , sexual orientation , religion etc doesn’t matter. Every American  citizen deserves a good life not just a select few . 

Liars who tell me they’ll work to guarantee all Americans who work,  a livable wage , decent benefits, and dignified safe treatment  in return for their labor, are good too . 

If they say they’re going to fix social security , and other programs that I may need some day , I love the way they lie to me. 

Tell me you want to try to get us out of this endless cycle of war we’re in . Stop spending ridiculous sums of money on it, and destroying lives. I’m good with that kind of lie too . 

That list could go on but my point is , A typical democrat is going to support that thinking and a republican usually won’t .  

I think most candidates go in with good intentions but get bogged down by partisan politics, lobbyists , and the corporate overlords who really pull the strings . If they will even attempt to do some of the things that will effect my life and make it better though they get my vote. 

I realize your response is dripping with hyperbole.  But I mostly agree!  

I can't think of many (any?) candidates--either for president or any other federal office--who actually kept all their campaign promises.  Something always comes up, and the campaign promises fall by the wayside.  

In fact, about the only honest politician I can think of is (--drum roll please--) our very own Tom Osborne.  :) 

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, NM11046 said:

Why wouldn't you vote?

I'm mostly politically agnostic (especially about the Presidency, which is what I was referring to as that's what the question of the thread is asking), I'll more than likely live somewhere where my vote is meaningless, and it's within my right to do so.

6 minutes ago, Landlord said:

I'm mostly politically agnostic (especially about the Presidency, which is what I was referring to as that's what the question of the thread is asking), I'll more than likely live somewhere where my vote is meaningless, and it's within my right to do so.

Didn't mean to come off like I was questioning your rights ... just was curious as to your reason.  The disengaged voter is a big problem right now, it's an interesting topic imo.

• Plus1 1

3 minutes ago, NM11046 said:

Didn't mean to come off like I was questioning your rights ... just was curious as to your reason.  The disengaged voter is a big problem right now, it's an interesting topic imo.

I'm all for encouraging people to vote, and convincing people of the sentiment, but the pragmatic reality is that right now, living in Chicago, my vote is meaningless, and until that changes it's much easier to abstain.

1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

You said "not going to vote," then added a paragraph about the presidential vote, so it wasn't clear that you didn't mean you weren't going to vote at all.

Understand the confusion.

I live 17 miles from my polling place.  Voting for President in Nebraska is a meaningless effort.  If the election was ONLY for President, there would be a big part of me saying....why waste the gas?  However, I do have a vested interest in the local and state elections.  So, I'm sure...while there....I'll put something in the Presidential space.

Man....I never dreamed that I would have such an attitude towards the race.

I'll put this here because it is related to the recent discussion.

My wife has been on my ass to fill out my mail-in ballot for our upcoming election. The only race of consequence is for governor (Colorado). Most of the other races are local or state positions and not really races at all because they have only one option. I refuse to vote for a person running unopposed unless I really like what they stand for...not the case in any of these. But back to the governor race which should interest me. I reviewed their positions on all the issues and I absolutely hate every candidate from all parties. Can't stomach one name on the ballot. I'm not going to vote.

This is pretty much how I feel about the national scene so will be interesting if I feel any compulsion to vote come the presidential election.

BTW- The reason I hate all the governor candidates is that they are all about as extreme as you can get within their parties. Not a moderate voice to be found.

1 minute ago, RedDenver said:

Based on Trump having higher unfavorable than favorable polling his whole term so far, or that we don't even know who he'll be running against?

based on the republicans are in charge of counting the votes.

3 hours ago, Comfortably Numb said:

BTW- The reason I hate all the governor candidates is that they are all about as extreme as you can get within their parties. Not a moderate voice to be found.

This seems like a critique of the primary process in America more than anything. Most people who would make good general election candidates aren't ideological enough to win the primary.

31 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Based on Trump having higher unfavorable than favorable polling his whole term so far, or that we don't even know who he'll be running against?

Trump’s popularity is understated in polls and climbing. Who in the hell do the Dems have who can beat him?

I hate to agree with anything ric flair says but i think he's right about trump winning in 2020. His base wont be swayed no matter what he does he could hang a russian flag from the white house and hand over the nuclear football and they would still vote for him. The rest of the republicans will vote for him once they get in the voting booth and just lie and say they voted libertarian. The dems will blow it by running hilary again or someone who will let trump shout over them in the debates.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Trump’s popularity is understated in polls and climbing. Who in the hell do the Dems have who can beat him?

Trump's popularity has climbed slightly in the last few months, but I don't give any credence to Trump being "understated" in polls - it's equally likely he's "overstated".

Bernie Sanders would beat Trump. I'd give Joe Biden and Kamala Harris even odds against Trump.

3 hours ago, LumberJackSker said:

I hate to agree with anything ric flair says but i think he's right about trump winning in 2020. His base wont be swayed no matter what he does he could hang a russian flag from the white house and hand over the nuclear football and they would still vote for him. The rest of the republicans will vote for him once they get in the voting booth and just lie and say they voted libertarian. The dems will blow it by running hilary again or someone who will let trump shout over them in the debates.

Unfortunately, you're probably right.