Tetons and Yellowstone - mid Oct

I'm guessing you could get about anything weather-wise in October in that area. Probably won't be "hot" but it could range from pretty mild to a balls out blizzard. Sorry, I know that doesn't help much but I don't think there are any guarantees that time of year.

We are going to Yellowstone in August.  Staying in Jackson Hole for three nights then back packing two nights.  Hoping to find about a camp site about 8-10 miles in.

We are told to expect temps in the 70s during the day with thunderstorms likely in the afternoon and to wake up to high 30s to low 40s in the morning.

If you are going two months after us, expect it to be colder than that.

On 6/29/2018 at 10:38 AM, BigRedBuster said:

We are going to Yellowstone in August.  Staying in Jackson Hole for three nights then back packing two nights.  Hoping to find about a camp site about 8-10 miles in.

We are told to expect temps in the 70s during the day with thunderstorms likely in the afternoon and to wake up to high 30s to low 40s in the morning.

If you are going two months after us, expect it to be colder than that.

I'm fine hiking in Colorado but I'm too scared of grizzlies to even think about doing it in Yellowstone. And I just watched a YouTube video of grizzlies chasing their prey to make myself more scared.

8 hours ago, Moiraine said:

I'm fine hiking in Colorado but I'm too scared of grizzlies to even think about doing it in Yellowstone. And I just watched a YouTube video of grizzlies chasing their prey to make myself more scared.

Black bears kill you to eat you,unless it's sick or wounded and can't hunt effectively grizzly bears just wanna slap you around,and that usually kills you,they may eat a few bites but rarely eat entire humans like they do another animal.

• Plus1 1
On 7/1/2018 at 5:57 AM, man eating mastodon said:

Black bears kill you to eat you,unless it's sick or wounded and can't hunt effectively grizzly bears just wanna slap you around,and that usually kills you,they may eat a few bites but rarely eat entire humans like they do another animal.

So they're only going to eat part of me. That's heartening.

• Haha 1
  • 4 months later...

8 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

We ended up not going to the Tetons - had a destination joint family trip to Nashville.  (yes I prefer the mtns to the city).

When did you go and any recommendations? Hope to do it next year.

We went the first week in August.  Stayed a few days in Jackson and drove up and saw all of Yellowstone.  We then rented back packing equipment and went on a three day hike over 30 miles through the back country of the Tetons.  It was absolutely amazing and saw things that 99% of the visitors to the area will never see.  It was a grueling physical journey though.....I loved it.  

My family is begging me to take them now to a place where they will get pampered.  

52 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

We went the first week in August.  Stayed a few days in Jackson and drove up and saw all of Yellowstone.  We then rented back packing equipment and went on a three day hike over 30 miles through the back country of the Tetons.  It was absolutely amazing and saw things that 99% of the visitors to the area will never see.  It was a grueling physical journey though.....I loved it.  

My family is begging me to take them now to a place where they will get pampered.  

Sounds like my kind of trip.   If you have the info. please send me the info on the pack packing equipment rental place.   I've been wanting to do a extended hike with my 2 sons - one is 31 and the other is 37.  I may be getting too old for the 3 day one unless I get into shape (sounds like a goal in the making).  Did the rental place drop you off and pick you up at specific places and if so can you modify the length of the trip? Or were you all on your own.   

How many days should we give to exploring Yellowstone like you did - I was thinking 2 (upper and lower) but it may need more.  I was thinking of using northern Jackson Hole valley as the base to go to Yellowstone - maybe stay a night there.  Any tips on where to stay?

Ok enough questions.  Since our oldest son moved from Colo Springs 4 years ago to Asheville, NC we haven't made it back to Colorado or any 'real mountains'.  We've been to the Smokies - which are great but not the same.  We do have the Tulsa Mountains - an old radio joke.  We have Turkey Mtn - which I'm not sure if it is legally a mountain or a very tall hill.   

2 hours ago, TGHusker said:

Sounds like my kind of trip.   If you have the info. please send me the info on the pack packing equipment rental place.   I've been wanting to do a extended hike with my 2 sons - one is 31 and the other is 37.  I may be getting too old for the 3 day one unless I get into shape (sounds like a goal in the making).  Did the rental place drop you off and pick you up at specific places and if so can you modify the length of the trip? Or were you all on your own.   

How many days should we give to exploring Yellowstone like you did - I was thinking 2 (upper and lower) but it may need more.  I was thinking of using northern Jackson Hole valley as the base to go to Yellowstone - maybe stay a night there.  Any tips on where to stay?

Ok enough questions.  Since our oldest son moved from Colo Springs 4 years ago to Asheville, NC we haven't made it back to Colorado or any 'real mountains'.  We've been to the Smokies - which are great but not the same.  We do have the Tulsa Mountains - an old radio joke.  We have Turkey Mtn - which I'm not sure if it is legally a mountain or a very tall hill.   

I can get you all that.