Trump: More Popular than Ever

43 minutes ago, knapplc said:

The reason they don't answer it is because the concept behind "MAGA" is inherently racist. They either know this explicitly or implicitly, and they know that no matter how much ground they've gained electing this racist POS to the White House, the coast still isn't clear for Regular Joe's to fully embrace it.

So Trump does it for them by proxy. 

He did it with the Birther nonsense.

He did it with every policy & law of Obama's that he's torn down.

He did it when he failed to help Americans in Puerto Rico.

He did it when he denounced NFL players for kneeling.

He did it when he called countries south of the border "s#!tholes."

He did it when he referred to Hispanic immigrants as "rapists."

He did it when he promised to build a wall between America & the brown people down south.

He did it when he came up with his travel ban.

Every time Trump takes one more step further. Every time, his followers become more emboldened, and hopeful that they can, soon, wear their true feelings on their sleeve. 

It's why they're so angry all the time. Racism is based in hate. They hate anyone not like them, and that includes most certainly any White person who doesn't see the world through their albino glasses.  You see the hateful undertones in everything they do.  Every time they talk about non-Whites there's a tinge to their statements. Every time they talk to non-racist Whites, they label them. Most of the time they stick with the blanket "liberals" but sometimes it's "progressives" or whatever else they can think of to separate those who don't think like they do with their version of Americans. 

The real answer to those questions is the 1950s. Before the Civil Rights movement, before integration, before we lost the Vietnam War and the gays were still being kicked back into their closets. 

Think about who (predominantly) are wearing those MAGA hats. Baby Boomers whose most cherished memories were when they lived the carefree lives of their childhood, not paying bills, not responsible for anything, tacitly knowing they were going to inherit the world's best country. We had bragging rights all over the world after WWII. 

Think about one of the early fake battlegrounds of this culture war - the much decried "War on Christmas."  Christmas is the most revered time of all for these people - their little White baby Jesus all perfect & holy, not brown & thick-haired like a Levant Jew of the actual era, but someone who looks like them. All of the Christmases we've had since then have been trying to recapture the glory of their childhood. Think about the songs Christians sing to this day at Christmas - most of them haven't changed since that era.  That's why the "War on Christmas" was such a hugely successful early dog whistle. 

MAGA true believers want that era of America to return. They want the colored people in their place, they want no hint of any other religion tarnishing "their" country, they want TV to show homogeneous White families who can safely, casually, cast aspersions on the lesser people (it wasn't an accident that Roseanne had such a huge early return to TV).  They miss the Archie Bunkers and John Waynes of the entertainment world. They hate the liberal elites of Hollywood. 

That is what MAGA means. 

They're just too afraid to say it.  For now.

All of this is true.

But I do believe there are people who take the MAGA stance on straight up pro-business, small government, low-taxes economics.

Interestingly enough, that America didn't exist either. The Trump/GOP policies are headed into uncharted waters with their plutocracy. 

As Jon Stewart once pointed out, people don't yearn for a time when America was great. They yearn for a time when they were kids, their parents were young and healthy, and a life of possibility still stretched out before them. 

And...as you say...a time when minorities and women knew their place. 

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

The reason they don't answer it is because the concept behind "MAGA" is inherently racist. They either know this explicitly or implicitly, and they know that no matter how much ground they've gained electing this racist POS to the White House, the coast still isn't clear for Regular Joe's to fully embrace it.

So Trump does it for them by proxy. 

He did it with the Birther nonsense.

He did it with every policy & law of Obama's that he's torn down.

He did it when he failed to help Americans in Puerto Rico.

He did it when he denounced NFL players for kneeling.

He did it when he called countries south of the border "s#!tholes."

He did it when he referred to Hispanic immigrants as "rapists."

He did it when he promised to build a wall between America & the brown people down south.

He did it when he came up with his travel ban.

Every time Trump takes one more step further. Every time, his followers become more emboldened, and hopeful that they can, soon, wear their true feelings on their sleeve. 

It's why they're so angry all the time. Racism is based in hate. They hate anyone not like them, and that includes most certainly any White person who doesn't see the world through their albino glasses.  You see the hateful undertones in everything they do.  Every time they talk about non-Whites there's a tinge to their statements. Every time they talk to non-racist Whites, they label them. Most of the time they stick with the blanket "liberals" but sometimes it's "progressives" or whatever else they can think of to separate those who don't think like they do with their version of Americans. 

The real answer to those questions is the 1950s. Before the Civil Rights movement, before integration, before we lost the Vietnam War and the gays were still being kicked back into their closets. 

Think about who (predominantly) are wearing those MAGA hats. Baby Boomers whose most cherished memories were when they lived the carefree lives of their childhood, not paying bills, not responsible for anything, tacitly knowing they were going to inherit the world's best country. We had bragging rights all over the world after WWII. 

Think about one of the early fake battlegrounds of this culture war - the much decried "War on Christmas."  Christmas is the most revered time of all for these people - their little White baby Jesus all perfect & holy, not brown & thick-haired like a Levant Jew of the actual era, but someone who looks like them. All of the Christmases we've had since then have been trying to recapture the glory of their childhood. Think about the songs Christians sing to this day at Christmas - most of them haven't changed since that era.  That's why the "War on Christmas" was such a hugely successful early dog whistle. 

MAGA true believers want that era of America to return. They want the colored people in their place, they want no hint of any other religion tarnishing "their" country, they want TV to show homogeneous White families who can safely, casually, cast aspersions on the lesser people (it wasn't an accident that Roseanne had such a huge early return to TV).  They miss the Archie Bunkers and John Waynes of the entertainment world. They hate the liberal elites of Hollywood. 

That is what MAGA means. 

They're just too afraid to say it.  For now.

Oh, FFS. If everything is racist, nothing is racist. The word is so overused it has lost any meaning.

MAGA isn’t racist. It’s largely about removing regulation, reducing taxation, getting the government nanny state the hell out of our way, and leaving people alone. 

All politicians seek to divide people. That’s the nature of politics. Democrats constantly claim that Republicans hate the poor, the elderly, minorities, LGBT folks, children, etc. During every campaign, they threaten members of those groups with starvation, homelessness, poverty, i;lness, lynchings, and death if they allow Republicans to hold office. It’s despicable no matter who does it. But let’s not pretend it’s one-sided.

• Plus1 3
2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Oh, FFS. If everything is racist, nothing is racist. The word is so overused it has lost any meaning.

MAGA isn’t racist. It’s largely about removing regulation, reducing taxation, getting the government nanny state the hell out of our way, and leaving people alone. 

All politicians seek to divide people. That’s the nature of politics. Democrats constantly claim that Republicans hate the poor, the elderly, minorities, LGBT folks, children, etc. During every campaign, they threaten members of those groups with starvation, homelessness, poverty, i;lness, lynchings, and death if they allow Republicans to hold office. It’s despicable no matter who does it. But let’s not pretend it’s one-sided.

Nope. Just the racist things are racist.

Trump is objectively racist. His policies are racist. His tweets - and lack thereof - are racist. His actions are racist.  Racist is as racist does. 

Trump is not analogous to "all politicians."  Pretending he is is an attempt to normalize who and what he is.  It is not normal, it is not OK, and failing to call him what he is doesn't solve the problem.

At this point, anyone supporting Trump is either actually factually in support of his racism, or too far gone into party politics to care, which then enables his racism.  Either way, there's no excuse for it.

• Plus1 5
6 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Nope. Just the racist things are racist.

Trump is objectively racist. His policies are racist. His tweets - and lack thereof - are racist. His actions are racist.  Racist is as racist does. 

Trump is not analogous to "all politicians."  Pretending he is is an attempt to normalize who and what he is.  It is not normal, it is not OK, and failing to call him what he is doesn't solve the problem.

At this point, anyone supporting Trump is either actually factually in support of his racism, or too far gone into party politics to care, which then enables his racism.  Either way, there's no excuse for it.

Saying “racist” lots of times doesn’t make something or someone racist. What has Trump done that you see as racist? 

• Plus1 3

17 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Saying “racist” lots of times doesn’t make something or someone racist. What has Trump done that you see as racist? 

Let's start with the fact that Donald Trump launched his candidacy by being the face of the Birther Movement, contending that America's first African-American President was illegitimate and Kenyan.

It goes downhill from there.

How many examples are you going to need?  

• Plus1 3
13 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Let's start with the fact that Donald Trump launched his candidacy by being the face of the Birther Movement, contending that America's first African-American President was illegitimate and Kenyan.

It goes downhill from there.

How many examples are you going to need?  

The jury is still out on where Obama was born. 

8 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

This is the new America: the burden of proof is on people you refuse to believe. 

That reminds me: MAGA is about far more than awakening latent racism. It's also about undermining academia, science and the media.

Or what we used to call "facts."

I was really trying to give you the benefit of the doubt, Ric, but once again I gotta ask:

Where do you teach?

• Plus1 2
20 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Maybe its not so latent, this racism.

This "movement" is fueled by psychological warfare used to dupe the narcissistic, gullible and stupid.

You'll get all this lunacy debunked again and just slink off to recharge your outrage meter on whatever ultra right-wing propaganda outlet it is that fuels your delusion for a few months and return to spout the same nonsense over and over.

• Plus1 5

15 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

This is the new America: the burden of proof is on people you refuse to believe. 

That reminds me: MAGA is about far more than awakening latent racism. It's also about undermining academia, science and the media.

Or what we used to call "facts."

I was really trying to give you the benefit of the doubt, Ric, but once again I gotta ask:

Where do you teach?

i have a high school senior looking at colleges.    when we find where ric is i think i will cross that school off the list if they let moonbats like him teach there.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, commando said:

i have a high school senior looking at colleges.    when we find where ric is i think i will cross that school off the list if they let moonbats like him teach there.

I was joking. I thought that was obvious. When did liberals become so humorless?