How Do You Spell Expectations in Nebraska?

1 hour ago, KingBlank said:

You seem to make my point for me.  I don’t have control over Nebraska football, that matters 0% in my expectation of Nebraska football.  You said “your” car meaning I would have the control over said object in completing the task.  So the only way for your arguements to work would be if someone gave me the car under the pretense it was expected to get me across the country (coach’s to championships).  If the car didn’t, it would have not met expectations and proves exactly what I am saying.

You're trying obfuscate the analogy's intent by focusing on a trivial detail. I don't really see the point of turning this into something obtuse when it doesn't need to be.

If something (literally, anything) is dysfunctional, it's unreasonable and irrational to expect that thing (whatever that thing is) to complete or fulfill its function at a high level.

28 minutes ago, Toe said:

giphy.gif

dedhoarse

So this all begs the question:  What is honest to goodness proper expectation for this season:

Some facts:

1.  4 win season last year

2. New 1st time QB

3. New coaches wt new system

4. Terrible D from last year

5.  Nation's 2nd toughest season.

Ok those are all the negatives

Positives:

1.  New coaches with new system

2.  Better  QB play (has got to be better than our pick-6 artist last year)

3. More experienced D

4. JUCO infusion of talent

5. S&C

6. Change in attitude

I think 7-5 is a realistic expectation for the year (we beat all of those 6-6 predictions).   With 8-4 being hopeful and 9-3 as the surprise. 

• Plus1 1

Akron W

Colorado W

Troy W

Michigan W

Purdue W

Wisconsin W

Northwestern W

Minnesota W

Ohio State L

Illinois W

Michigan State W

Iowa W

That's how I spell expectations. 

Just kidding but Ohio State might be the only game on our schedule I don't think we can expect a shot at winning.  My realistic expectations are to not have more than 5 losses.

• Plus1 2

2 hours ago, Enhance said:

You're trying obfuscate the analogy's intent by focusing on a trivial detail. I don't really see the point of turning this into something obtuse when it doesn't need to be.

If something (literally, anything) is dysfunctional, it's unreasonable and irrational to expect that thing (whatever that thing is) to complete or fulfill its function at a high level.

Unfortunately that detail is very important in the argument you are trying to make.  I am not Bill Moos, I don’t get to pick my car.  I still expect the car Bill/Shawn/Tom/Steve picks to make it to the other side of country.  As the said purpose of this car was exactly why it was given to me.  Being the expected outcome of making it, I would be satisfied with the result, not making it would be disappointing because that is why someone gave me the car.  You don’t even follow your own line of reasoning.... I don’t really know how you misconstrued your own argument.  

In the end my expectations for the season never change.  Nebraska should be in the conference title game every year.  If not it is a disappointing season.  I don’t care if it Bo, Bill, Frank, Mike, Urban, Saben, Frost, any coach that is here.  That is the expectation I hold this program too.  Some people at the end of the year want to sit back and be satisfied.  They want to say “man did you see that, he won X more games then I thought”.  Wait for it... and “just wait until we get his recruits in here and then we can add X + 1” and so on and so on.  This has been the rhetoric for 16 years.  Do I believe Frost is the right coach?  Yes.  Do I believe he is going to win and possibly be one of the best in the country?  Yes. Is it his first year here and maybe it doesn’t go very well?  Possibly.  None of that changes any of my expectation that Nebraska should be in that game every single season.

• Plus1 1

I think it's best for almost everyone involved (everyone but the players and coaches) to keep relatively low expectations for year one. By 2019, things we'll be different and we can all go crazy.

For this fall though, I think just making a bowl game and getting the extra practices should be enough. I'm not saying everyone needs to be happy or excited about that, but at least content/not fuming.

I think Nebraska goes 6-6 or 7-5 this fall. We all know how this works in the offseason though. 6-6 predictions in March turn into 7-5 in June. In the middle of fall camp we'll be thinking 9-3. After Nebraska beats Akron by three-plus touchdowns, some will be thinking 10-2 or 11-1. That sets up for a very sobering set of conference games.

16 minutes ago, teachercd said:

People...these are YOUR expectations...

Don't let others change what you expect.  

Exactly.  Who cares what anyone thinks about your expectations.  Dream big.  Learn to handle disappointment because that means you were able to be excited about something before.  Its part of life if you actually let yourself live. 

• Plus1 4

1 hour ago, Hans Gruber said:

I think it's best for almost everyone involved (everyone but the players and coaches) to keep relatively low expectations for year one. By 2019, things we'll be different and we can all go crazy.

For this fall though, I think just making a bowl game and getting the extra practices should be enough. I'm not saying everyone needs to be happy or excited about that, but at least content/not fuming.

I think Nebraska goes 6-6 or 7-5 this fall. We all know how this works in the offseason though. 6-6 predictions in March turn into 7-5 in June. In the middle of fall camp we'll be thinking 9-3. After Nebraska beats Akron by three-plus touchdowns, some will be thinking 10-2 or 11-1. That sets up for a very sobering set of conference games.

This exactly sums it all up.  But, you forgot the part where, after a loss, we won't win another game.  (Although, after game 8 last year, it was true).

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, Dilly Dilly said:

This exactly sums it all up.  But, you forgot the part where, after a loss, we won't win another game.  (Although, after game 8 last year, it was true).

Haha. That's true. And to be fair, I don't think any of this is specific to Nebraska fans. To some degree, I think most top 40ish fans bases do this. 

5 minutes ago, teachercd said:

People...these are YOUR expectations...

Don't let others change what you expect.  

Yeah, I guess I don't really get why "expecting" to be in the CCG (basically) every year is all that unrealistic of an expectation.  I mean... I can see why expecting it under Riley was probably unrealistic given the dumpster fire he created.  But generally speaking, I think that's a pretty fair expectation.  

We play in one of the worst P5 divisions in football and we continually out-recruit the rest of our division by a decent margin.  That's plenty to think that expecting to be in the CCG is pretty fair.

Just because we fail to meet that expectation doesn't make the expectation invalid.  Even in Riley's "good" year I think we were still technically alive for a CCG berth going into the final week of the season.  So it's obviously not that hard to be right in contention.  Callahan won the division once and got second once so 50% of the time we were right there for a CCG berth.  Pelini at least tied for first in the division four times and was 2nd two other times so basically every year we should have been expecting a CCG berth.

Don't let how far Riley drove things into the ground cloud your judgement.  We should "expect" to be in the CCG pretty much every year.  That doesn't mean the season is a failure if we don't make it.  But there's no reason we shouldn't be right at the top of our division.

• Plus1 4
8 hours ago, KingBlank said:

Wouldn’t have been my car.  Secondly In your awful analogy, I would have not been able to choose the car.  If I needed to go across country I sure would have expected it to make it there given the fact that the inherent goal of the car was to make it across the country.  So thus if so called car failed disappointment would ensue.  My expectations didn’t change for the con artist even though I knew he was a con artist from the beginning.

What are your Win/Loss expectations for this football season?  Not what do you want...what do you expect the tally to be at the end of the year.

43 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Yeah, I guess I don't really get why "expecting" to be in the CCG (basically) every year is all that unrealistic of an expectation.  I mean... I can see why expecting it under Riley was probably unrealistic given the dumpster fire he created.  But generally speaking, I think that's a pretty fair expectation.  

We play in one of the worst P5 divisions in football and we continually out-recruit the rest of our division by a decent margin.  That's plenty to think that expecting to be in the CCG is pretty fair.

Just because we fail to meet that expectation doesn't make the expectation invalid.  Even in Riley's "good" year I think we were still technically alive for a CCG berth going into the final week of the season.  So it's obviously not that hard to be right in contention.  Callahan won the division once and got second once so 50% of the time we were right there for a CCG berth.  Pelini at least tied for first in the division four times and was 2nd two other times so basically every year we should have been expecting a CCG berth.

Don't let how far Riley drove things into the ground cloud your judgement.  We should "expect" to be in the CCG pretty much every year.  That doesn't mean the season is a failure if we don't make it.  But there's no reason we shouldn't be right at the top of our division.

I can't agree more (unless you are being condescending) but the West is HORRIBLE.

People...NW is not good...Purdue is not good...Illinois is not good...Iowa is not good...Wisconsin has FEASTED off of crap teams.  NU has been s#!tTY and that is why other teams have done well.  That s#!t is over. 

• Plus1 1