How Do You Spell Expectations in Nebraska?

1 hour ago, teachercd said:

People...these are YOUR expectations...

Don't let others change what you expect.  

Agreed.  Might I ask all the 9-3 folks on up to those expecting a National Championship to not be the usual Negative Nellie when it doesn't happen this year.  Can we be the "greatest fans on earth" and just admit that your expectations were just your expectations based on your own ego and pride.:-)

I'll be hoping for a 6-6 year.  Scott doesn't need to have any expectations from me.  His expectations for himself and the program are good enough for this uneducated football fan.

• Plus1 1

My expectations for the regular season?  12-0. 

I am conceeding nothing.

Note: I am not saying or predicting 12-0...just saying my expectations are to win every game.  I am 99.99% sure Frost, the rest of his coaches, and players have the same attitude.  And, lose one game then the expectations become 11-1.  Lose a second game, 10-2.  Etc etc etc.

Conceed nothing.

• Plus1 2

3 hours ago, teachercd said:

*snip*

People...NW is not good...Purdue is not good...Illinois is not good...Iowa is not good...Wisconsin has FEASTED off of crap teams.  NU has been s#!tTY and that is why other teams have done well.  That s#!t is over. 

Ok I'm confused by this. You are saying the Huskers have been s#!tty, and those other teams are not good. I mean, NU is just one game on their schedule, sooo.....

Not good??

Didnt NW, Iowa and Wisconsin each win 10+ games in recent years without compiling 4 losses in that same year to accomplish that?

When did the Huskers do that last? 10 wins with less than 4 losses at end of year?

Don't knock them.

Some teams just get the job done. The Huskers have been average mid tier for 15+ years. So expect the same until it gets proven differently. I'm hopeful for that soon.

• Plus1 1
8 hours ago, KingBlank said:

In the end my expectations for the season never change.  Nebraska should be in the conference title game every year.  If not it is a disappointing season.  

What if like... the entire team dies in an airplane accident?

6 hours ago, Mavric said:

Yeah, I guess I don't really get why "expecting" to be in the CCG (basically) every year is all that unrealistic of an expectation.  I mean... I can see why expecting it under Riley was probably unrealistic given the dumpster fire he created.  But generally speaking, I think that's a pretty fair expectation.  

*snip*

Don't let how far Riley drove things into the ground cloud your judgement.  We should "expect" to be in the CCG pretty much every year.  That doesn't mean the season is a failure if we don't make it.  But there's no reason we shouldn't be right at the top of our division.

Honestly this is kind of confusing to me, because the sentiment of your first paragraph seems to be one of taking the actual circumstances and evidence and making a proportionately reasonable assessment based off of them, but then the sentiment in your last paragraph seems to be, "Forget about all the context of the actual circumstances the expectation should be the same regardless."

Reality is we've *won* our division and played in a conference championship game 6 times in the 21 years that there has been one for us to make it to. There might not be reason that we shouldn't be at the top of our division, but there's plenty of reason that we haven't. Until something changes and is measurable and observable, I think with achieving that goal, the proper semantics would be "hope".

• Plus1 2
6 hours ago, admo said:

Ok I'm confused by this. You are saying the Huskers have been s#!tty, and those other teams are not good. I mean, NU is just one game on their schedule, sooo.....

Not good??

Didnt NW, Iowa and Wisconsin each win 10+ games in recent years without compiling 4 losses in that same year to accomplish that?

When did the Huskers do that last? 10 wins with less than 4 losses at end of year?

Don't knock them.

Some teams just get the job done. The Huskers have been average mid tier for 15+ years. So expect the same until it gets proven differently. I'm hopeful for that soon.

The west is s#!tty...I will knock them.  Do you remember right before the Skers joined the Big Ten?  We ripped on the conference, all the time, how lame it was, how slow everyone was, how average all the teams were.  The only thing that changed was the Huskers became s#!tty.

When Purdue plays NW...someone has to win.  When Iowa plays Illinois...someone has to win.  Recruiting rankings (not a science I know) give us fans a pretty good idea what type of player the teams in the West are bringing in...

• Plus1 2
13 hours ago, KingBlank said:

Unfortunately that detail is very important in the argument you are trying to make.

I'll repeat what I said in my previous post so we can stop writing full paragraphs about the use of a pronoun in an analogy.

"If something (literally, anything) is dysfunctional, it's unreasonable and irrational to expect that thing (whatever that thing is) to complete or fulfill its function at a high level."

Your second paragraph does a decent job of explaining your position even though I still find the overall concept incoherent. Expectations are typically based on fact and history, and recent history (and results on the field) have not supported the expectation of annual CCG appearances. But, to each their own.

I don't expect anything. I do hope we win enough and are competitive in the loses, that we can see progress being made. That's all we can ask for at this point.

I would hope it gets better. 9 wins would be great to watch, but 6/ 7 would also show we can expect a better program going forth.

GBR!!!

10 minutes ago, huskered17 said:

I don't expect anything. I do hope we win enough and are competitive in the loses, that we can see progress being made. That's all we can ask for at this point.

I would hope it gets better. 9 wins would be great to watch, but 6/ 7 would also show we can expect a better program going forth.

GBR!!!

9 wins.  That's extremely unlikely I'd say.  Even 7 wins is pretty dicey, given the schedule we play this year.  I'm thinking we'll probly end up with 5 or 6 wins, considering we're playing in the first season with two new coordinators and a group of guys this staff didn't recruit.  

I think Frost was a great hire for NU.  Expensive, but great.  Still, anyone who expects to see much progress in year 1 is bound to be disappointed.  And it's almost a certainty that there will be some folks calling for Scott Frost's head within a year or two because he hasn't turned the mighty Cornhusker Battleship around fast enough to suit them.  At some point though you just have to pick a guy and stick with him.  I think Frost is as good of a HC as we could hope for.  He gets Nebraska.  /jmho  

8 minutes ago, NUance said:

9 wins.  That's extremely unlikely I'd say.  Even 7 wins is pretty dicey, given the schedule we play this year.  I'm thinking we'll probly end up with 5 or 6 wins, considering we're playing in the first season with two new coordinators and a group of guys this staff didn't recruit.  

I think Frost was a great hire for NU.  Expensive, but great.  Still, anyone who expects to see much progress in year 1 is bound to be disappointed.  And it's almost a certainty that there will be some folks calling for Scott Frost's head within a year or two because he hasn't turned the mighty Cornhusker Battleship around fast enough to suit them.  At some point though you just have to pick a guy and stick with him.  I think Frost is as good of a HC as we could hope for.  He gets Nebraska.  /jmho  

They were calling for Tom's head also, early on.....

9 wins is just wishful thinking, I know. I just think by midway thru the season, we may just be starting to gel enough to upset one or two, that we are not supposed to. That's why I think 7 is maybe not out of reach. 

GBR!!!

• Plus1 1
11 minutes ago, NUance said:

Still, anyone who expects to see much progress in year 1 is bound to be disappointed. 

I assume you're talking in wins, because we've already seen a ton of progress in many areas. A team can get better on the field and it not result in more wins, for a variety of reasons. It's exactly what I'm predicting for Purdue, for instance.  I think they'll be better but because they overachieved in wins last year I think they'll post a similar record.

It's possible to be better and still only go 4-8 if things like injuries go against us. On the other hand, if things fall in our favor, 8-4 is also possible. There's a lot of fortune that goes into this game. Mike Riley's first two years are very similar, performance wise, but two very different records. Northwestern are posting 10 win seasons followed by a drop, but those teams are all around neutral in terms of yards per play differential, it's the games many bounces that is accounting for the change in record. 

• Plus1 1
25 minutes ago, NUance said:

I mostly agree with this. I do think the salary is an interesting topic for discussion because the dollars here demand a high level of success at some point. I believe a majority of fans will be OK if it takes a few years to see it come to fruition, but, $5 million/year is the kind of money you pay someone to put meaningful hardware in the trophy case. I think many of us get that, are willing to let things play out and won't put too intense of pressure on the staff too early.