How Do You Spell Expectations in Nebraska?

45 minutes ago, NUance said:

9 wins.  That's extremely unlikely I'd say.  Even 7 wins is pretty dicey, given the schedule we play this year.  I'm thinking we'll probly end up with 5 or 6 wins, considering we're playing in the first season with two new coordinators and a group of guys this staff didn't recruit.  

I think Frost was a great hire for NU.  Expensive, but great.  Still, anyone who expects to see much progress in year 1 is bound to be disappointed.  And it's almost a certainty that there will be some folks calling for Scott Frost's head within a year or two because he hasn't turned the mighty Cornhusker Battleship around fast enough to suit them.  At some point though you just have to pick a guy and stick with him.  I think Frost is as good of a HC as we could hope for.  He gets Nebraska.  /jmho  

What do you call progress? If we don't give up 50 points to a terribly terrible Minnesota offense again, or call me crazy, don't give up 50 at all next season I might call that progress

11 hours ago, brophog said:

I assume you're talking in wins, because we've already seen a ton of progress in many areas. A team can get better on the field and it not result in more wins, for a variety of reasons. It's exactly what I'm predicting for Purdue, for instance.  I think they'll be better but because they overachieved in wins last year I think they'll post a similar record.

It's possible to be better and still only go 4-8 if things like injuries go against us. On the other hand, if things fall in our favor, 8-4 is also possible. There's a lot of fortune that goes into this game. Mike Riley's first two years are very similar, performance wise, but two very different records. Northwestern are posting 10 win seasons followed by a drop, but those teams are all around neutral in terms of yards per play differential, it's the games many bounces that is accounting for the change in record. 

Yeah, we were discussing wins.  

And I tend to agree with you that the team seems to be making progress.  Then again, it's the offseason.  Every team looks like a world beater in the offseason!  Woo hoo!!   Let the Kool-Aid flow!  (sung to the tune of "Let the Good Times Roll" by The Cars.  lol):koolaid2::koolaid2::koolaid2:

15 hours ago, Enhance said:

I'll repeat what I said in my previous post so we can stop writing full paragraphs about the use of a pronoun in an analogy.

"If something (literally, anything) is dysfunctional, it's unreasonable and irrational to expect that thing (whatever that thing is) to complete or fulfill its function at a high level."

Your second paragraph does a decent job of explaining your position even though I still find the overall concept incoherent. Expectations are typically based on fact and history, and recent history (and results on the field) have not supported the expectation of annual CCG appearances. But, to each their own.

You must have never worked in a sales environment. 

On 6/19/2018 at 7:04 PM, Mavric said:

Yeah, I guess I don't really get why "expecting" to be in the CCG (basically) every year is all that unrealistic of an expectation.  I mean... I can see why expecting it under Riley was probably unrealistic given the dumpster fire he created.  But generally speaking, I think that's a pretty fair expectation.  

We play in one of the worst P5 divisions in football and we continually out-recruit the rest of our division by a decent margin.  That's plenty to think that expecting to be in the CCG is pretty fair.

Just because we fail to meet that expectation doesn't make the expectation invalid.  Even in Riley's "good" year I think we were still technically alive for a CCG berth going into the final week of the season.  So it's obviously not that hard to be right in contention.  Callahan won the division once and got second once so 50% of the time we were right there for a CCG berth.  Pelini at least tied for first in the division four times and was 2nd two other times so basically every year we should have been expecting a CCG berth.

Don't let how far Riley drove things into the ground cloud your judgement.  We should "expect" to be in the CCG pretty much every year.  That doesn't mean the season is a failure if we don't make it.  But there's no reason we shouldn't be right at the top of our division.

Thank you

On 6/19/2018 at 10:35 PM, Making Chimichangas said:

My expectations for the regular season?  12-0. 

I am conceeding nothing.

Note: I am not saying or predicting 12-0...just saying my expectations are to win every game.  I am 99.99% sure Frost, the rest of his coaches, and players have the same attitude.  And, lose one game then the expectations become 11-1.  Lose a second game, 10-2.  Etc etc etc.

Conceed nothing.

:thumbs

On 6/19/2018 at 7:49 PM, teachercd said:

I can't agree more (unless you are being condescending) but the West is HORRIBLE.

People...NW is not good...Purdue is not good...Illinois is not good...Iowa is not good...Wisconsin has FEASTED off of crap teams.  NU has been s#!tTY and that is why other teams have done well.  That s#!t is over. 

With the way the Big 10 has scheduled Nebraska don't be surprise when they move NU (the far west team) to the east division --- just to keep it even and allow old standard bearers Wisc or Iowa to have the upper hand!!  :sarcasm

• Plus1 1

On 6/19/2018 at 10:35 PM, Making Chimichangas said:

My expectations for the regular season?  12-0. 

I am conceeding nothing.

Note: I am not saying or predicting 12-0...just saying my expectations are to win every game.  I am 99.99% sure Frost, the rest of his coaches, and players have the same attitude.  And, lose one game then the expectations become 11-1.  Lose a second game, 10-2.  Etc etc etc.

Conceed nothing.

It is amazing that so many people don’t understand this concept.  Expectation is different then predictions.  Best take on here

1 hour ago, KingBlank said:

It is amazing that so many people don’t understand this concept.  Expectation is different then predictions.  Best take on here

A lot of people base expectations on data, trends, and evidence. Economists, scientists, entrepreneurs, weather people, so on and so forth.

People understand the concept just fine. They just think it's silly.

• Plus1 5
1 hour ago, KingBlank said:

It is amazing that so many people don’t understand this concept.  Expectation is different then predictions. 

Yes, expectations are much more powerful. They're why one coach gets a raise at 6-6 and another gets fired at 9-3. Use wisely.

• Plus1 2