How Do You Spell Expectations in Nebraska?

1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

I'm always positive going into a new season but this is still the same old coach speak we've been hearing for years now. Sometimes it makes us excited for the season which is good, but we've had terrible coaches say all the right things before.

Anyhow, my point is, we have no idea whether Chinander will make the defense great. In fact there's argument to be had that UCF didn't do a good job at the end of last year and a lot of UCF fans weren't too happy with him. I fall on the side of not holding that against him since the team was tired and playing againat the best offenses they'd faced all year. But still.

Yes, it is true we here coach speak every year - but you got to admit this is some of the best CS in many a year - :P

Realistic expectations should be held by us all  so that we don't drown in the :koolaid2:

This season will be difficult but I think we will do better than the 6-6 the pundents are predicting. It is year 2-3 where I hope we see all of the CS turned into reality.

9 hours ago, TGHusker said:

Yes, it is true we here coach speak every year - but you got to admit this is some of the best CS in many a year - :P

Realistic expectations should be held by us all  so that we don't drown in the :koolaid2:

This season will be difficult but I think we will do better than the 6-6 the pundents are predicting. It is year 2-3 where I hope we see all of the CS turned into reality.

No then that doesn’t make us Nebraska, that makes us Iowa

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, KingBlank said:

I expect Nebraska to be in the Conference title game.  Just as I have every single year since that was the adopted format.

and it turns out that was unrealistic a huge majority of the time.

I think it's unrealistic this year, but not next year, and that it will start to happen often.

• Plus1 1

4 hours ago, Landlord said:

How does it feel living with so much disappointment on a yearly basis? Can't be good for you.

Well fortunately enough during a previous coach we were able to make it 3 out of 7 years.   Disappointed for not dropping my expected level of excellence for this program? Never.   Not one bit.  Disappointed in not making it? Absolutely

• Plus1 7
9 hours ago, KingBlank said:

I expect Nebraska to be in the Conference title game.  Just as I have every single year since that was the adopted format.

If your car is leaking oil, needs head gaskets replaced, the AC is broken and the engine sometimes makes a weird grinding noise, would you expect it to successfully complete a cross country drive?

• Plus1 3
2 hours ago, Enhance said:

If your car is leaking oil, needs head gaskets replaced, the AC is broken and the engine sometimes makes a weird grinding noise, would you expect it to successfully complete a cross country drive?

Wouldn’t have been my car.  Secondly In your awful analogy, I would have not been able to choose the car.  If I needed to go across country I sure would have expected it to make it there given the fact that the inherent goal of the car was to make it across the country.  So thus if so called car failed disappointment would ensue.  My expectations didn’t change for the con artist even though I knew he was a con artist from the beginning.

• Plus1 1

54 minutes ago, KingBlank said:

Wouldn’t have been my car.  Secondly In your awful analogy, I would have not been able to choose the car.  If I needed to go across country I sure would have expected it to make it there given the fact that the inherent goal of the car was to make it across the country.  So thus if so called car failed disappointment would ensue.  My expectations didn’t change for the con artist even though I knew he was a con artist from the beginning.

You don't have any control over Nebraska football just like you don't have any control over the car in the analogy. It's contradiction to your narrative does not make it 'awful.'

Nebraska has essentially been the car in this analogy for several years, yet your expectations don't adjust based on facts. That's nonsensical.

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I love how people get mad at other people for their expectations.  Classic!

(Cue the, "I don't see anyone doing that" post)

You're right - nobody here is doing that. Suggesting so (and trying to stir the pot) is disingenuous.

1 hour ago, Enhance said:

You don't have any control over Nebraska football just like you don't have any control over the car in the analogy. It's contradiction to your narrative does not make it 'awful.'

Nebraska has essentially been the car in this analogy for several years, yet your expectations don't adjust based on facts. That's nonsensical.

You seem to make my point for me.  I don’t have control over Nebraska football, that matters 0% in my expectation of Nebraska football.  You said “your” car meaning I would have the control over said object in completing the task.  So the only way for your arguements to work would be if someone gave me the car under the pretense it was expected to get me across the country (coach’s to championships).  If the car didn’t, it would have not met expectations and proves exactly what I am saying.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, KingBlank said:

You seem to make my point for me.  I don’t have control over Nebraska football, that matters 0% in my expectation of Nebraska football.  You said “your” car meaning I would have the control over said object in completing the task.  So the only way for your arguements to work would be if someone gave me the car under the pretense it was expected to get me across the country (coach’s to championships).  If the car didn’t, it would have not met expectations and proves exactly what I am saying.

Yes, but if you knew anything about cars, you would realize that that car taking you cross country would be very unlikely. You're taking it as if any functionally working car should be expected to make it, much like Nebraska in general. Yes, we would like a well-running car, but you have realize when there are glaring issues that will prevent you from reaching your destination. You don't have to happy about it, and you don't have to lower your expectations to if it get you across the state or even the city. You can just take it to a mechanic and get it fixed, you'll just have to delay your trip for a week or so.