Do yourself a favor....

ADS

The jury is still out on whether we have a great QB, but I'm 99.9999999999% sure all of our QBs are a lot better because of this guy than they would've otherwise been.

Also, he says (paraphrasing) he thinks the interviewers must realize by now that he's "wack." That by itself makes him completely different than Diaco. I don't think Diaco has any self awareness whatsoever. Verduzco has the self awareness that, even if he's not crazy at all, he's talking about things that are probably not understood by most people so they might at least think he's a little nuts. "They look at me like I'm crazy sometimes."

I listened to it an really enjoyed it. Verduzco sure seems like he loves talking quarterbacks. 

I don't know how the 247 guys pulled this off. Credit to them and Verduzco for being willing to do it. Can you imagine any other Nebraska football coach in the last 20 years sitting down for a podcast for an entire hour?

When Mario talks about teaching concepts vs individual plays note that the entire staff is doing this. That's fantastic. It not only allows players to more easily remember responsibilities, but it easily allows transference to new ideas. It's easier for players to play fast because the adjustment becomes automatic after a certain point.

Mario is unique amongst coaches in that most coaches are simply former players applying what they were taught as a player. One problem players have is a lack of knowledge in why something works, they just did it and got a good result. If you don't know why something works, you can't teach it. Mario has studied the position as well as anyone. Where another coach may have to show you how to throw a football and hope the player can observe the process well enough to pick up the details, Mario can explain how to throw the football to get the desired result. Big difference, big advantage.

• Plus1 3
15 hours ago, Moiraine said:

The jury is still out on whether we have a great QB, but I'm 99.9999999999% sure all of our QBs are a lot better because of this guy than they would've otherwise been.

Also, he says (paraphrasing) he thinks the interviewers must realize by now that he's "wack." That by itself makes him completely different than Diaco. I don't think Diaco has any self awareness whatsoever. Verduzco has the self awareness that, even if he's not crazy at all, he's talking about things that are probably not understood by most people so they might at least think he's a little nuts. "They look at me like I'm crazy sometimes."

his-style-wack.jpg

I listened to it again on the way home from work.  One kind of subtle thing MV said was that he met Scott when he (SF) was at Stanford, "not that he'd remember"... but the thing I took away from that, is Scott obviously leaves a lasting impression on people.   Both figuratively and literally (as evidenced by some of his touchdown runs, bowling over people and smacking would be defenders down).

• Plus1 1

Coach Verduzco, aka The Mad Scientist (as I have dubbed him), is officially my favorite coach on this staff.

I have never before heard of a football coach talk about bio-mechanics, cognitive progression, and open environment as a way to teach qubes how play the game of football.  I have never heard a coach get so scientific; and be able to apply it in a relevant way so that his players not only understand, but can translate it to the field.

I fully admit that some of the stuff he was talking about went over my head, but most of it just makes sense.  And I loved how he explained the five aspects of a QBs throw.  I love how he used Milton's over-throw problem and was able to diagnose and correct it.  

A+ stuff in that podcast.

• Plus1 2
On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 1:13 AM, I am I said:

THAT is how you build a mystique and a tradition. 

I hope he sticks around 15 yrs 

Don't see him going anywhere. He's been an OC before but developing qb's is obviously his strength. He's making good money doing what he loves for a HC he loves that should be here a long time. I think Verdu retires from here.