****Official Alliance of American Football Thread****

GSG

I didn't want to keep bumping the Mike Riley thread in the Husker Football section, so I'm starting this thread to discuss the AAF itself.

https://aaf.com/

This league was started by Charlie Ebersol, son of Dick Ebersol. Dick will be on the Board of Directors. Bill Polian will be "Head of Football" along with being a co-founder of the league. Troy Polamalu will be the Head of Player Relations. Other names in the head office include Hines Ward, Jared Allen, and Justin Tuck.

Rules:

50-man rosters with some selected by a territorial draft.

No TV timeouts and 60% fewer commercials. They are aiming for a game length of 150 minutes.

Only 2-point conversions, no extra point kicks.

No kickoffs. Offenses start on their own 25-yard line. In lieu of an onside kick, the "kicking team" can attempt one scrimmage play from their own 35-yard line but must gain a first down (10 yards as per usual).

30 second play clock.

Only replays used will be on coaches challenges. Each team gets 2 per game.

Someone asked about Tim Lewis. His career has mostly been as a position coach in the NFL with several teams. He was also the D-coordinator for the Steelers (2000-03) and the Giants (2004-06).

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, GSG said:

Interesting. I'm not so sure that will make a huge difference though.

I think it could.  I don't think Langsdorf was a very good OC, for sure not a very good play-caller.  Riley gave him play-calling duties for awhile at OSU then took them away.  I think it's possible and even likely that Riley is a much better play-caller so it could work out better this time.

1 minute ago, Mavric said:

I think it could.  I don't think Langsdorf was a very good OC, for sure not a very good play-caller.  Riley gave him play-calling duties for awhile at OSU then took them away.  I think it's possible and even likely that Riley is a much better play-caller so it could work out better this time.

I guess we'll see. I think the Mike Riley era of Husker football left such a bad taste in my mouth that I don't believe any of them are capable of ever being successful, at least in my mind.

Maybe @southernoregonhusker can weigh in on .500 Mike's playcalling abilities?

8 minutes ago, GSG said:

I guess we'll see. I think the Mike Riley era of Husker football left such a bad taste in my mouth that I don't believe any of them are capable of ever being successful, at least in my mind.

Yeah, I don't disagree with you there.  I think his offense might be better.  But I think his overall lack of assertiveness will not go over well in the long run.

On 6/22/2018 at 9:10 AM, GSG said:

I think Mike gave the duties back to Langs at Nebraska and didn't do a darn thing when it was obvious the team needed a boost.  Personally, I think Mike should have retired at least 5 years ago.  My feeling was he gave up at OSU and was nothing but a high paid figurehead.  Sadly, he did the same at DONU despite my hopes otherwise.  Good riddance to bad rubbish.

On 6/24/2018 at 11:43 PM, southernoregonhusker said:

Riley is all talk and has been for years.  My hope was that coaching a traditional power would get his juices flowing again.  Sadly, that wasn't the case.  He'll be a bust in that new league assuming it even gets off of the ground.  Should it tank, I hope OSU gives him a big middle finger if he tries to return.  

But but this is his LAST last adventure, right?

• 1 month later...

Starter returning to football field in Alliance deal

NEW YORK (AP) The Starter apparel brand that pioneered the blending of sports clothing with popular culture is returning to the football field.

Established in 1971, Starter closed deals in the 1980s with pro football, basketball, baseball, hockey and colleges. On Tuesday, it joined forces with the startup Alliance of American Football, which begins play the week after the Super Bowl with eight franchises.

Starter, through G-III Sports, will be the official on-field apparel and game-day uniform supplier for those Alliance teams.

• Plus1 1