Sous Vide Smoked Brisket

Sorry, I forgot to get some pics when I made this last week, but this recipe turned out really well. I basically followed this video but with a few changes I'll discuss below:

I used a 4.5 pound brisket instead of the 14.5 pound monster in that vid. I don't have a real smoker, but I got this 12 inch smoker tube for Christmas and gave it a try for the first time on this brisket. Basically, I cold smoked the brisket on my grill for just under 2 hours using hickory pellets in about half of the tube. The final smoked flavor was mild, and since I'd like it a bit stronger, I plan to fill the tube to about 3/4ths, get more of the pellets burning for faster smoke, and smoke it for 3-4 hours. But if you like a more subtle smokey flavor, then half the tube for 1.5-2 hours for a 4.5 pound brisket worked great.

I sous vide at 140F for about 55 hours and patted the brisket dry just as the video, but I don't have the torch/flamethrower they used to sear, so I got my gas grill as hot as it would go and seared it that way. It worked fine, but it'd be better with a hotter sear.

The brisket was very moist and tender (I was a bit worried because a LOT of liquid came out during the sous vide but it was more than juicy enough). The texture was excellent but a bit different than other briskets I've had. Because I cut off most of the fat (as shown in the video, it isn't necessary for the sous vide technique), then meat was much leaner than most briskets, but because it was juicy, it actually tasted better (IMO) than briskets with a lot of fat. Also, while the brisket was very tender (could cut with a fork), it didn't fall apart like most briskets, so I cut it into thin pieces, which ended up being EXCELLENT for sandwiches. It was tender enough that I could have shredded it with forks or my hands but I didn't try that.

Overall, it was really good and I'll definitely do it again. Also not much effort. Cutting the fat off the brisket was the hardest part and the smoking took some time especially since I hadn't used the smoker tube before, but mostly it was just putting it in the water bath and waiting 2 days.

I also really like Carolina style BBQ sauce (primarily mustard and vinegar flavor). My brother-in-law recommended this recipe and it turned out GREAT:

https://www.thespruceeats.com/big-daddy-carolina-style-barbecue-sauce-333684

I left out the liquid smoke from that recipe and only made half of the amounts given (and we didn't even get through that amount but I don't slather the sauce on). Since my guests like a bunch of different BBQ sauces, I didn't put any on the brisket but served the sauces on the side.

• Plus1 2

On 6/26/2018 at 10:56 AM, knapplc said:

What sous vide machine do you use? What did you immerse the brisket in?  I have an Anova and I usually use a 16qt stock pot, but I don't think I'd get very good circulation with a brisket that big.

I also have the Anova, but I got a large polycarbonate food container for Christmas like this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014U596GO/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=sousvideevery-20&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B014U596GO&linkId=892082d1782f22d10203abec5bed7935

Although it'll work just as well in a hard-sided cooler (maybe better because of the insulated sides), but I only have a soft-sided cooler. If you're doing a long cook like the 48+ hours I did for the brisket, you'll want a lid to keep the water from evaporating. Even a plastic sheet would work, just don't cover the top of the circulator or it'll overheat.