Justice Kennedy Set to Retire

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

You didn't fall for it if you tuned the idiot out and paid no attention to the spectacle. 

Hopefully this type of thing, on top of the cozy financial relationship between Trump & Kennedy's son, are enough to piss people off about how the same powerful, connected, generally wealthy people hold all the levers of power in our political system.

I doubt it. More likely is Kavanaugh passing a party line vote plus some red state Dems after a very boring confirmation hearing, we get another round of puff pieces about how McConnell is the most brilliant political tactician of his generation, and Trump becomes the new Reagan by which conservatives measure all future presidents.

But I mean, this is all allowed in our system. Lifetime appointments ensure Kennedy could get away with this - selling his vote on a current case to pick his successor - and if checks & balances refuse to constrain Trump because America decides to put Republicans in Congress, there will be no recourse for this.

• Plus1 3

4 hours ago, knapplc said:

If True - so much for draining the swamp.  Proves that Trump caved to the swamp a long time ago.  My guess - when Pence decided to stay on as vp nominee after the Hollywood videos.

Trump was doomed at that point if Pence had jumped ship.   But I'm in wild speculation mode with this - I just think some big deals were settled at that point - including the Rep Chairman taking on the chief of staff job in the 'small' chance Trump got elected.   By how little the swamp has changed and even gotten worse, I believe it to be campaign rhetoric only.  Trump only respects power, and it is the 'swampites' who have the power and to share that power you have to get along.   Besides Trump had this little cozy little loan deal with Kennedy's son.  Son does a favor for Trump and Trump does one for Kennedy by selecting Kavanaugh.     I'm not saying Kavanagh is bad from a conservative perspective, but that if Trump was truly trying to clean the swamp, there were several others not so ingrained in DC.

1 minute ago, TGHusker said:

If True - so much for draining the swamp.  Proves that Trump caved to the swamp a long time ago.  My guess - when Pence decided to stay on as vp nominee after the Hollywood videos.

Trump was doomed at that point if Pence had jumped ship.   But I'm in wild speculation mode with this - I just think some big deals were settled at that point - including the Rep Chairman taking on the chief of staff job in the 'small' chance Trump got elected.   By how little the swamp has changed and even gotten worse, I believe it to be campaign rhetoric only.  Trump only respects power, and it is the 'swampites' who have the power and to share that power you have to get along.   Besides Trump had this little cozy little loan deal with Kennedy's son.  Son does a favor for Trump and Trump does one for Kennedy by selecting Kavanaugh.     I'm not saying Kavanagh is bad from a conservative perspective, but that if Trump was truly trying to clean the swamp, there were several others not so ingrained in DC.

It was campaign rhetoric, much like when Obama campaigned on being the most transparent administration in history, and instead was one of the most opaque ever. 

• Plus1 1
Just now, knapplc said:

It was campaign rhetoric, much like when Obama campaigned on being the most transparent administration in history, and instead was one of the most opaque ever. 

Yep.    Better to look back on a person's historical actions than to blindly believe their current words.   With Trump, no one should be surprised by anything.

• 3 weeks later...