Justice Kennedy Set to Retire

Well, there ya go. Once again, we get the government we deserve.

They'll slap another Gorsuch on the Court & I'll look forward to 5-4 conservative decisions at SCOTUS for the rest of my adult life.

Either it's what America truly wants or we're going to have to be smacked around with court rulings we don't like for a decade or two before more of the country realizes they don't like them. 

(I say this in jest - hopefully Thomas or Alito decide to retire during a Dem administration one day to kind of push the Court back towards neutral - but boy, if you support liberalism in America things just keep getting bleaker by the day.)

• Plus1 3
4 minutes ago, Clifford Franklin said:

but boy, if you support liberalism in America things just keep getting bleaker by the day

A huge, huge chunk of people in this country have voted how they've voted and behaved how they've behaved specifically so that they could hear words like this. 

• Plus1 3

I don't expect Trump to select a moderate in the style of a Kennedy.    Based on past experience, I expect Trump to go full bore as far right as he can.  You all know as a conservative, I like conservative judges ...  but as a balance.  We need  liberal, moderate, & conservative judges to bring balance to any argument that goes before the court to protect the interest of all people in a diverse nation like ours.  Trump may try to make it more palatable by nominating someone of color or a female to the court - but that would surprise me as I think he still goes full conservative white guy.   He may try that when/if Ginsberg retires.

an article for reference

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/27/anthony-kennedy-retiring-from-supreme-court.html

• Plus1 1

1. Aren’t those judges really supposed to be non political and non partisan though ? Hand down rulings based on the law only ? 

2. It’s idiotic to me that anyone should get a lifetime appointment to any job . There needs to be term limits on them just like anything else . IMO  The way it is makes it too easy for an elected politician to appoint his cronies, and no one can touch them . 

6 minutes ago, Big Red 40 said:

1. Aren’t those judges really supposed to be non political and non partisan though ? Hand down rulings based on the law only ? 

2. It’s idiotic to me that anyone should get a lifetime appointment to any job . There needs to be term limits on them just like anything else . IMO  The way it is makes it too easy for an elected politician to appoint his cronies, and no one can touch them . 

1. Yes

2. Yep

Make it 12 years. Even 24 would be an improvement.

Senate should be 8-12 year limits.

Same with the House.

43 minutes ago, Clifford Franklin said:

They'll slap another Gorsuch on the Court & I'll look forward to 5-4 conservative decisions at SCOTUS for the rest of my adult life.

Either it's what America truly wants or we're going to have to be smacked around with court rulings we don't like for a decade or two before more of the country realizes they don't like them. 

(I say this in jest - hopefully Thomas or Alito decide to retire during a Dem administration one day to kind of push the Court back towards neutral - but boy, if you support liberalism in America things just keep getting bleaker by the day.)

It's not what America truly wants, seeing as the majority didn't vote for Trump.

Some random on CNN is saying Roe v. Wade is doomed but I still find that unlikely.

• Plus1 1

I agree that there should be limits to a judges tenure.  It should expand 2 presidents or even 3  (20 years - 2 full terms and a single term) so as to leave out the political side of it.  But back in the day when the constitution was written, perhaps they didn't see the day when judges would be living into their 80s. 

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, knapplc said:

A huge, huge chunk of people in this country have voted how they've voted and behaved how they've behaved specifically so that they could hear words like this. 

Well, yeah. I get that. I can see a few silver linings. Seems like liberals have realized post-Obama that taking a top down approach just doesn't work. You can't ride the coattails of an Obama at the local & state level if you have no Obama. When you take a hard look at liberalism in America with clear eyes, you realize you have a couple systemic disadvantages in terms of gerrymandering (both sides do it but the GOP far more effectively right now) and the geographic disadvantage red states give in terms of the numbers of Reps & Senators they get. There's also our campaign finance system which is just an utter clusterf#ck. Screw the Koch brothers.

There is great enthusiasm right now for liberals. It just feels like we're getting hit with a large amount of crap in a small amount of time. Our duly elected reality TV president is going to pick a second Supreme Court justice for a lifetime seat in between grifting & golf. Paul Ryan got his tax cut that assured him job security the rest of his life the right wing ecosystem & went home. Mitch McConnell is the most powerful man in Washington.

I'm sure conservatives are in hog heaven right now. But for some of us this just feels like it's all being rammed down our throat with brute force on the whims of a President & a Congress that doesn't care about us.

• Plus1 2

3 minutes ago, Clifford Franklin said:

Well, yeah. I get that. I can see a few silver linings. Seems like liberals have realized post-Obama that taking a top down approach just doesn't work. You can't ride the coattails of an Obama at the local & state level if you have no Obama. When you take a hard look at liberalism in America with clear eyes, you realize you have a couple systemic disadvantages in terms of gerrymandering (both sides do it but the GOP far more effectively right now) and the geographic disadvantage red states give in terms of the numbers of Reps & Senators they get. There's also our campaign finance system which is just an utter clusterf#ck. Screw the Koch brothers.

There is great enthusiasm right now for liberals. It just feels like we're getting hit with a large amount of crap in a small amount of time. Our duly elected reality TV president is going to pick a second Supreme Court justice for a lifetime seat in between grifting & golf. Paul Ryan got his tax cut that assured him job security the rest of his life the right wing ecosystem & went home. Mitch McConnell is the most powerful man in Washington.

I'm sure conservatives are in hog heaven right now. But for some of us this just feels like it's all being rammed down our throat with brute force on the whims of a President & a Congress that doesn't care about us.

Not all conservatives feel that way.  Some of us don't appreciate the guy who is leading and the way he is leading.  Eventually, because of his oversteps, this will reverse itself and it will be us feeling stuff being 'rammed down our throats'.  8 years ago, your statement could have been made by a conservative.   It all cycles. I'm old enough to see it.  The pendulum keeps swinging.   We as a country need people of all stripes to remain involved. 

Ecclesiastics 3 might be a good Bible read for you right now.  There is a time and a season.  

Sometimes I think of our political system as bowling with the gutter bumper pads that kids have when they go bowling (and based on my last game - I should use it)  Some times the ball veers to the right and sometimes to the left but those bumper pads bounce the ball back towards the middle.   What are our bumper pads??  The voters.  It isn't that our politicians are so smart over time, it is that the voters are smart over time.  We learn to correct our mistakes and we bounce back.  

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Clifford Franklin said:

Republicans and conservatives today don't wan't governance or nuanced policy, heck they don't even want critical thought. All they want is to make the other side upset. 

1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

1. Yes

2. Yep

Make it 12 years. Even 24 would be an improvement.

Senate should be 8-12 year limits.

Same with the House.

It's not what America truly wants, seeing as the majority didn't vote for Trump.

Some random on CNN is saying Roe v. Wade is doomed but I still find that unlikely.

Jeffery Toobin isn't really a random. He's their cheif legal guy, and while pretty liberal, he's a smart guy. Reversal of Row v Wade is a legitimate fear now if you're prochoice.