Justice Kennedy Set to Retire

2 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Gotcha.

Was Kennedy against striking it down?

Yes! A conservative justice installed by Regan even. He was pretty much what you want a supreme Court Justice to be. Impartial.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/opinions/justice-kennedys-retirement-is-the-biggest-event-in-us-jurisprudence-in-at-least-15-years/2018/06/27/746db704-585d-11e7-b38e-35fd8e0c288f_story.html

Kennedy will be most remembered for his famous progressive opinions — establishing a constitutional right to same-sex marriage and other gay rights, refusing to overturn the abortion right declared in Roe, extending the constitutional right of habeas corpus to wartime detainees held at Guantanamo Bay despite congressional and presidential resistance, limiting prayer in school and striking down the death penalty for juvenile criminals.

Let the speculation begin.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/appellate-judge-d-c-circuit-seen-early-favorite-trumps-supreme-court-shortlist-203121934.html

Bloomberg and the Los Angeles Times are both reporting that the favorite is Brett Kavanaugh. Kavanaugh, 53, is a federal appellate court judge based in Washington, D.C., who previously clerked for Kennedy. Kavanaugh’s confirmation to the appellate court took three years from his nomination in 2003 until he was confirmed by a 57-36 vote in May 2006.

Prior to the vote, Kavanaugh was blasted as an “unqualified judicial nominee” by the New York Times. The Times wrote that his resume “screams political partisanship” and pointed to his role in helping Kenneth Starr draft the possible grounds for impeachment for President Bill Clinton and writing and co-writing his own op-ed that called Starr “an American hero.” The National Review wrote in 2016 that Kavanaugh’s opinions were “clear, consistent, thorough, and thoughtful” and had an “analytical clarity” that would make Scalia proud.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, ZRod said:

Yes! A conservative justice installed by Regan even. He was pretty much what you want a supreme Court Justice to be. Impartial.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/opinions/justice-kennedys-retirement-is-the-biggest-event-in-us-jurisprudence-in-at-least-15-years/2018/06/27/746db704-585d-11e7-b38e-35fd8e0c288f_story.html

I'd just like to point that Roberts, who's staying on & will be joined by another conservative Trump appointment, apparently has a boner for repealing the Voting Rights Act.

So, you know, if you thought we had barriers to voting before, wait until somebody challenges that...

3 hours ago, Clifford Franklin said:

I'd just like to point that Roberts, who's staying on & will be joined by another conservative Trump appointment, apparently has a boner for repealing the Voting Rights Act.

So, you know, if you thought we had barriers to voting before, wait until somebody challenges that...

The word "boner" doesn't get changed with symbols but "s#!t" does?  That is awesome!

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, QMany said:

Is Kennedy ill? Otherwise, what a douche move, deliberately giving Trump another pick.

This was my exact thought.  Right before he announced his retirement, I actually had the thought that we probably won't have any retirements from anyone other than maybe a strong conservative justice which wouldn't change the court much.  

This move by him absolutely baffles me and is extremely disappointing.  Why the hell would any justice other than a strong conservative who supports Trump retire right now?

7 minutes ago, QMany said:

Is Kennedy ill? Otherwise, what a douche move, deliberately giving Trump another pick.

Not only this, but in an election year.

This is a wholly calculated move.  Republicans will ram a pick down Congress' throat, and if the Democrats offer any resistance, Republicans will campaign heavily on it.  This is the defining issue of the midterms.

Why do you guys think McConnell cancelled the August recess? Did he know? A Canadian on Reddit pointed out that all the signs were that Kennedy would be retiring this year. Sad that they know more about our country than most of us.

Reddit: ehlmCanadian

Also this is petty, but I said in /r/politics Mitch Mcconnell was cancelling the August senate break because of Anthony Kennedy retirment and I got called a Trump supporter(which Im not)

My Reasons

• My evidence was he's known for hiring clerks early this time he hired for 2018/2019 session in March but he's used to hiring two years in advance.

• Retired Justices get 1 clerk each year to handle their work.

• He first hired 1 clerk then waited 4 months to hire anther 3, this reflects he's going to take one into retirment work and the other three will be given to senior justices on the court for the year. This insures a full slot of clerks are hired and no one is passed over

• He's a Republican and even though he's clearly not a Trump Republican rumours are Neil Gorsuch was one of his favorite clerks so it gave him comfort to retire

Biggest reason

They spent the night making toasts . . . Judge Kennedy even stood up during his meal to compliment the live jazz band playing, and got their contact information for a soiree later this summer.”

43 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Not only this, but in an election year.

This is a wholly calculated move.  Republicans will ram a pick down Congress' throat, and if the Democrats offer any resistance, Republicans will campaign heavily on it.  This is the defining issue of the midterms.

I had a long conversation with my GF about this last night. It's really a lose-lose situation for Democrats.

Of course they're going to ram it through before November. In a sense that's good, because I'd rather conservatives not have another defining reason to vote for more Republican senators. The left is itching for a fight after how Garland/Gorsuch went down, but there's no way red state Dems up for re-election will vote to block Trump's nominee & get hammered on it leading up to November. Unfortunately, Trump could nominate a Magic 8 Ball and it would still probably get 50 Republican votes in the Senate.

There's just no way this justice can be blocked. I hate how powerful the politics of shamelessness makes someone like McConnell. He'll probably be toasted as an all time great in conservative circles once he steps down.

• Plus1 1
38 minutes ago, Clifford Franklin said:

I had a long conversation with my GF about this last night. It's really a lose-lose situation for Democrats.

Of course they're going to ram it through before November. In a sense that's good, because I'd rather conservatives not have another defining reason to vote for more Republican senators. The left is itching for a fight after how Garland/Gorsuch went down, but there's no way red state Dems up for re-election will vote to block Trump's nominee & get hammered on it leading up to November. Unfortunately, Trump could nominate a Magic 8 Ball and it would still probably get 50 Republican votes in the Senate.

There's just no way this justice can be blocked. I hate how powerful the politics of shamelessness makes someone like McConnell. He'll probably be toasted as an all time great in conservative circles once he steps down.

I think this is self-defeating for the Dems. Quit worrying so much about angering Repubs and grow a spine. If the shoe was on the other foot, the Repubs would definitely oppose any Dem nominee and run their campaigns on it. The Dems need to do the same thing: oppose the nominee if he sucks and campaign on the issues along with how much he sucked and even on the Repub obstruction of Garland if you have to.

• Plus1 1