Most Dominant Quarter in MNC Game

What was the most dominant quarter in a MNC game, including those not including the Huskers? I am torn between the 1995 Fiesta bowl and the 1994 Orange bowl. While the Huskers scored a record 29 points in the 2nd quarter against the Gators, the complete domination of Miami in the 4th quarter a year earlier may have been more impressive. Miami had 35 plays for minus 16 yards and no first downs in the 4th quarter. 

• Plus1 1

Miami game 4th quarter was probably the most rewarding quarter in all of Husker history as far as I am concerned.  I would say it is the most satisfying single quarter ever of any game. It got the monkey off of Tom's back and verified NU as a blue blood program.  After so many disappointments, the collective joy cannot possibly be matched. Schlesinger's 2nd TD is one of my all time favorite plays and calls by the NU radio guy. "It's Schlesinger!"

As far as dominance - I have to say 2nd quarter of 95 Fiesta game.  In the 94 Orange bowl our D kept us in the game until our O finally clicked - mid quarter.  95 game - the D and the O completely dominated.  Both sides of the ball - Safety, interceptions, sacks, dominant running plays and play calling that kept Florida guessing and always guessing wrong.

• Plus1 2

we thought we had seen it all before until Cory Schlesinger went up the middle basically untouched  to go ahead late with warren Sapp and a fantastic d line completely gassed and destroyed mentally and physically...…in 95...after the first quarter and a few adjustments, Spurrier didn't have an answer for any phase of the game. he just wanted out. it was one of the great beatdowns I have witnessed. he and his team were completely humiliated by half time. utter destruction.

funny article out of LA times--300 pounders 23 years ago..not now....23 years ago!!......back when Nebraska was King.

"On the Cornhuskers' side, it didn't hurt that both Frazier and Phillips were sprung by a huge offensive line that featured three 300-pounders that happened to be football players. After all, anything this size usually has a brand on it."

http://articles.latimes.com/1996-01-03/sports/sp-20404_1_fiesta-bowl

Other incredibly dominant quarters in championship games would be USC's 2nd quarter over Oklahoma (scored 24 points to Oklahoma's 3 and never looked back), Alabama's 2nd quarter over LSU (only scored 6 points but held LSU to 10 total yards and 3 punts), Miami's 2nd quarter over us (27 to 0), and LSU's 2nd quarter over Ohio State (21-0).

• Mavric changed the title to Most Dominant Quarter in MNC Game

2nd quarter, Fiesta. Up to that point, Florida thought they still had a chance, lol.

One of my favorite plays in that game was the two play sequence that ended in the safety - I think it was early in that 2nd quarter. Wuerffel got nailed and he was so clearly down back in the end zone, but they didn't call it. They spotted it on the goal line and the whole crowd booed. Then Jamel Williams jumped the line on the next play and got him six yards deep, leaving zero doubt of the outcome.

That's what that team did. If they didn't get you the first time, they got you on the next one.

On 7/7/2018 at 2:17 PM, CheeseHusker said:

2nd quarter, Fiesta. Up to that point, Florida thought they still had a chance, lol.

One of my favorite plays in that game was the two play sequence that ended in the safety - I think it was early in that 2nd quarter. Wuerffel got nailed and he was so clearly down back in the end zone, but they didn't call it. They spotted it on the goal line and the whole crowd booed. Then Jamel Williams jumped the line on the next play and got him six yards deep, leaving zero doubt of the outcome.

That's what that team did. If they didn't get you the first time, they got you on the next one.

Looking back on that sequence, I am sooooooo happy that we didn't get the safety call on the first play. Can you imagine the announcers and the media harping on a "bad" call that broke Florida's momentum and forced them into a couple errors that ultimately cost them the game? By denying us the safety, we had the opportunity to blast Florida and make it clear that they (or any SEC team) did not belong on the same field with Nebraska (see Tennessee in 1997).