Alabama Nutrition Facility

The debate picks up again today on social media in regards to paying players after Alabama releases a video of their new $14M nutrition facility. Schools are making hand over fist off of college football players in particular. I am not in the boat that players should be paid, but they should be able to make all the money they want off their name by signing autographs, selling shirts with their face on them etc. Anyone that went to college knows how much of a pain in the ass it is to pay student loans. It sets you back financially on many aspects of life when trying to buy a house or start a family. Along with the free education you are eating (as the video shows below) better than any non-athlete on campus, by a mile. Add in the academic counseling, free sports apparel, tickets for family members, and around $500/month in free stipend money you are good to go. 

Here are the costs to go to the University of Nebraska:

TUITION AND EXPENSES

Cost of Attendance In-state: $24,840 
Out-of-state: $40,140
Tuition and Fees
In-state: $8,901
Out-of-state: $24,201
Room and Board
$10,959
Books and Supplies
$1,012
Other Expenses
$3,968

This also doesn't include the amount a normal student would have to pay in student loan debt interest that they have taken on. Average rates for undergrad are around 4.5% - that lasts until your $100k in debt is paid off. Even if you take out room and board after freshman year it still is close for the amount you will pay for an apartment or house over the course of a year. Remember, you don't have to be Ndamukong Suh to receive these benefits, you could be a third string OL riding the pine.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/alabama-football/watch-alabama-shows-off-new-sports-and-nutrition-facility/

Sorry for the annual paying players off-season debate

• Plus1 2

Sorry for putting this back on topic. I'm not cool enough to have any musical references to contribute.

3 quick thoughts.

1) The Training Table at NU is open to any student with a meal plan. Academic counseling is freely available to any student. Non-athletic scholarships actually outnumber athletic ones. The gap might not be as wide as you think. 

2) "If you come to my school I will pay X monthly for your autograph". I don't see how you can let them have any similar option without opening the whole can of worms, for better or worse. The stipend was meant to address this.

3) I'm not sure if your point is that you think Universities should be compensating athletes better for their services or that Universities should be using their athletic funds to reduce tuition overall.

• Plus1 1
15 minutes ago, zeWilbur said:

Sorry for putting this back on topic. I'm not cool enough to have any musical references to contribute.

3 quick thoughts.

1) The Training Table at NU is open to any student with a meal plan. Academic counseling is freely available to any student. Non-athletic scholarships actually outnumber athletic ones. The gap might not be as wide as you think. 

2) "If you come to my school I will pay X monthly for your autograph". I don't see how you can let them have any similar option without opening the whole can of worms, for better or worse. The stipend was meant to address this.

3) I'm not sure if your point is that you think Universities should be compensating athletes better for their services or that Universities should be using their athletic funds to reduce tuition overall.

1) There are probably 25,000 more non-athletes at Nebraska alone, I would hope that it would be close or higher. Most are rarely full ride scholarships 

2) I mean if a fan says hey I'll give you $20 to sign this football, that player should be able to do that 

3) I think universities already are compensating athletes fairly

Maybe LaVar can start a JFL for players who want to be paid, but don't want to continue their education & don't meet the NFL's "3-years removed from HS" rule.

In all honesty, I'm not sure if a scholarship is fair compensation for the money that some of these top players bring in for their schools, especially if those players don't truly want to be in school and are risking injury(their playing future) for three/four years. The money that guys like Tebow, Manziel, Cam, etc. brought in for their respective programs was worth a lot more than the total amount their scholarship was worth, in all likelihood.

However, this situation only accounts for the top players, most likely, at top programs. A full-ride scholly probably is fair comp. for 90% of players.

Tricky situation, no doubt.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, BIG ERN said:

1) There are probably 25,000 more non-athletes at Nebraska alone, I would hope that it would be close or higher. Most are rarely full ride scholarships 

2) I mean if a fan says hey I'll give you $20 to sign this football, that player should be able to do that 

On one hand, I agree with the bolded.  On the other hand, college football athletes are different.  I just read a couple of days ago about the Washington State QB who committed suicide back in January was found to have suffered from CTE.  A free education doesn't mean much when you scramble your brain.

• Plus1 2
8 hours ago, BIG ERN said:

I generally agree with you. Mostly I was confused by why you took things in the direction of how much non-athletes pay in tuition and subsequent potential student loan debt. Does that usually happen when this topic comes up? 

"I am not in the boat that players should be paid, but they should be able to make all the money they want off their name by signing autographs, selling shirts with their face on them etc" 

I had to give a speech on this topic in my speech class at UNO and I pretty much said this exact sentence word for word in the speech.

• Plus1 2