Alabama Nutrition Facility

4 hours ago, GBRFAN said:

Would be tough to control because there may be a booster out there that wants to pay an athlete $2,000 for a $7 t-shirt (that area can get pretty gray)

I agree...I wonder if that type of stuff, the 100 dollar handshakes, are a bigger thing now or if they were bigger 30 years ago.

1 hour ago, teachercd said:

I agree...I wonder if that type of stuff, the 100 dollar handshakes, are a bigger thing now or if they were bigger 30 years ago.

I tend to believe it's probably about the same.  Granted, I have no real basis for my statements outside of the occasional articles that pop up like the bag man one from a couple years ago and watching "Pony Excess" on ESPN.  I would imagine if we followed a lot of big time football players social media, we'd probably see some stuff that would make us question, "Ok...how did they get their hands on XYZ?" 

2 hours ago, teachercd said:

...30 years ago.

Not certain if 30 is long enough.  Until the NCAA made the rule that severely limited the booster's role in recuiting it was the wild wild west.  Boosters could make first and unmonitored contact.  Jobs for parents, cars and worse were common.

There was an old "joke" about a high school star who alledgily stuck up a gas station.  Boosters fixed it and that and said to keep him out of we'll just buy him his own 7-11 and he can clean out the register any time he wants.

On 6/28/2018 at 12:30 PM, man eating mastodon said:

Pink Floyd got their name from two blues players,Floyd Council and Pink Anderson,Pinks son Alvin aka Lil Pink who's and excellent blues man himself is a friend of mine.

...I'll be damned if I can find these lyrics in the song. 

22 hours ago, Mavric said:

Are you talking about in West Stadium?  We ate there every now and then when I was in college.

Of course.... that's been .... a few years ago now.

I was in school in the mid 2000s, and would have lunch over there once every couple of weeks. 

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, StPaulHusker said:

Here is the problem I have with the paying players debate.

The universities are claiming that they can't afford to do it.  And it simply isn't true. For P5 schools anyway

I'm not sure that's true. Comparatively, it's not the schools that make the big bucks off of the game. Look at the differences between expenditures and budget. The top schools are all spending almost as much as they make.

I would guess Nebraska could pretty easily afford to pay the scholarship players $20k each. That's $1.7 million per year. But most schools already don't break even. I'm guessing at least 60% of schools couldn't afford it, or at the least could not compete with the top 25 school salaries. So it would definitely increase the disparity in talent by a lot. That would be good for Nebraska but bad for most teams.

I don't know how the NCAA works as far as money goes but maybe they could afford it.

1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

I'm not sure that's true. Comparatively, it's not the schools that make the big bucks off of the game. Look at the differences between expenditures and budget. The top schools are all spending almost as much as they make.

I would guess Nebraska could pretty easily afford to pay the scholarship players $20k each. That's $1.7 million per year. But most schools already don't break even. I'm guessing at least 60% of schools couldn't afford it, or at the least could not compete with the top 25 school salaries. So it would definitely increase the disparity in talent by a lot. That would be good for Nebraska but bad for most teams.

I don't know how the NCAA works as far as money goes but maybe they could afford it.

The problem with this is who gets paid?  It obviously wouldn't just be football players.  Do you have to pay any scholarship athlete at the university the same amount?  My guess is yes.  And is that amount going to be a set amount across the NCAA or is it going to vary by conference?  By school?

So saying they can/can't afford it doesn't really do anything for the conversion.  Could they give every scholarship athlete $100?  Of course they could.  $20,000?  Eh.... not sure.  The real question is who all is going to get paid and how the amount is going to get decided.

50 minutes ago, Mavric said:

The problem with this is who gets paid?  It obviously wouldn't just be football players.  Do you have to pay any scholarship athlete at the university the same amount?  My guess is yes.  And is that amount going to be a set amount across the NCAA or is it going to vary by conference?  By school?

So saying they can/can't afford it doesn't really do anything for the conversion.  Could they give every scholarship athlete $100?  Of course they could.  $20,000?  Eh.... not sure.  The real question is who all is going to get paid and how the amount is going to get decided.

When people think and talk about paying college football players, for the most part $100 is not in the same ballpark of what they're imagining. Especially now that players can get a stipend worth up to several thousand $. And I would argue if a school like Nebraska can pay a player $20,000 or $15,000 or whatever, and a school like Memphis can only pay them $1,000, Memphis really can't afford it. By afford it I mean compete for athletes with schools like Nebraska.

2 hours ago, Moiraine said:

When people think and talk about paying college football players, for the most part $100 is not in the same ballpark of what they're imagining. Especially now that players can get a stipend worth up to several thousand $. And I would argue if a school like Nebraska can pay a player $20,000 or $15,000 or whatever, and a school like Memphis can only pay them $1,000, Memphis really can't afford it. By afford it I mean compete for athletes with schools like Nebraska.

Exactly.  I think the schools can "afford" to pay them something.  The question is can they afford what the athletes (or whoever) think they want.  Depends on the semantics.

To your second part, that's what I mean about who is setting the amount.  Is the NCAA going to set an amount?  Will each conference?  Can each school do what they want?  That's going to have a HUGE effect on competitiveness.

On 6/28/2018 at 10:43 AM, BIG ERN said:

The debate picks up again today on social media in regards to paying players after Alabama releases a video of their new $14M nutrition facility. Schools are making hand over fist off of college football players in particular. I am not in the boat that players should be paid, but they should be able to make all the money they want off their name by signing autographs, selling shirts with their face on them etc. Anyone that went to college knows how much of a pain in the ass it is to pay student loans. It sets you back financially on many aspects of life when trying to buy a house or start a family. Along with the free education you are eating (as the video shows below) better than any non-athlete on campus, by a mile. Add in the academic counseling, free sports apparel, tickets for family members, and around $500/month in free stipend money you are good to go. 

Here are the costs to go to the University of Nebraska:

TUITION AND EXPENSES

Cost of Attendance In-state: $24,840 
Out-of-state: $40,140
Tuition and Fees
In-state: $8,901
Out-of-state: $24,201
Room and Board
$10,959
Books and Supplies
$1,012
Other Expenses
$3,968

This also doesn't include the amount a normal student would have to pay in student loan debt interest that they have taken on. Average rates for undergrad are around 4.5% - that lasts until your $100k in debt is paid off. Even if you take out room and board after freshman year it still is close for the amount you will pay for an apartment or house over the course of a year. Remember, you don't have to be Ndamukong Suh to receive these benefits, you could be a third string OL riding the pine.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/alabama-football/watch-alabama-shows-off-new-sports-and-nutrition-facility/

Sorry for the annual paying players off-season debate

That place is a dive.  We can do better than that!  Only 8 big screen TV's?  Worst part is it overlooks the Alabama football field.  Who wants to look at that?  I'd rather watch oysters migrate.

• 1 month later...

On 6/28/2018 at 11:59 AM, zeWilbur said:

3 quick thoughts.

1) The Training Table at NU is open to any student with a meal plan. Academic counseling is freely available to any student. Non-athletic scholarships actually outnumber athletic ones. The gap might not be as wide as you think. 

I’m not sure if this was true in the past but students received an email today informing them that they could NOT eat at the training table. I had told my daughter she should try eating there once or twice a semester but apparently they’ve had a policy change or something prompted them to send out the email.

13 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I’m not sure if this was true in the past but students received an email today informing them that they could NOT eat at the training table. I had told my daughter she should try eating there once or twice a semester but apparently they’ve had a policy change or something prompted them to send out the email.

Maybe it's Huskerboard's fault. I've read it here at least 5 times this year and never before.

5 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Maybe it's Huskerboard's fault.

My wild guess is that it may have been allowed when Riley was coach since apparently the players did not have to eat at the training table. They probably didn't want all that good, healthy food going to waste but things are different now since Frost is requiring them to eat there. No matter, I mentioned it so many times to my daughter now she is sort of bummed she can't partake. Not sure she actually would have but now that it's prohibited....

Just now, JJ Husker said:

My wild guess is that it may have been allowed when Riley was coach since apparently the players did not have to eat at the training table. They probably didn't want all that good, healthy food going to waste but things are different now since Frost is requiring them to eat there. No matter, I mentioned it so many times to my daughter now she is sort of bummed she can't partake.

She should date a football player. Maybe they'd make an exception.

:)