Thor

• 3 weeks later...

Iceland looked good for one quarter then it got ugly again. Thor had 7 points 4 boards & 5 assists in 26 minutes. Picked up three early fouls.  The team looked much better wwith him on the floor. Iceland is one of the worst free throw shooting teams I've ever seen.  Between that & missed layups it's hard to keep the score close.

I think he has a chance to play this year, of course it's hard to judge the competition.  He seems to have figured out defensive concepts and does go right some of the time. He won't play a lot but I could see him getting 10 minutes per game. He's actually a pretty good passer.

• Plus1 1

In my opinion, Thor should have redshirted. Barely played and did not really contribute much. A year working his tail off to get stronger and practice to get used to the game would have been great. But here we are and he won't get many minutes this year again as there is too much talent ahead of him. Hopefully, he makes a leap either his junior or senior year. 

1 hour ago, HuskermanMike said:

In my opinion, Thor should have redshirted. Barely played and did not really contribute much. A year working his tail off to get stronger and practice to get used to the game would have been great. But here we are and he won't get many minutes this year again as there is too much talent ahead of him. Hopefully, he makes a leap either his junior or senior year. 

He & Nana both should have redshirted last year but they didn't want to so, like you said "here we are".

• Plus1 1

They lost all three of their group games.  How does Iceland move on?  If all the teams make it out of the "Group Stage", what's the point of having it?

He scored 0 points of 0/8 shooting with 6 boards and 2 assists.  Iceland was down 29-5 after the first quarter.

They play Ukraine tomorrow.

So he's a waste of a scholarship because he barely played his freshman year and is playing for his country's U20 team that is clearly overmatched.  If you've seen any of Iceland's games they only have one shooter and Thor is the only person who has the ability to beat his defender off the dribble consistantly.  They basically have about 2 1/2 players who are good enough to be in the tournament & Thor is one of them.  He appears much improved over last year - seems to grasp defensive concepts & does go right some of the time.  It's hard to play a game where you drive & kick when you only have one shooter on the team, but that seems to be how Iceland is trying to play.  He probably won't play much this year, but he should play more than last year.  Not everyone comes in and plays a bunch of minutes from the time they step on campus.  Sometimes it takes two or three years to be ready to play regularly.

• Plus1 2