Chinander on Sharp & Benning

I like Chinander because he cuts through the illusion. Football is unlike any other sport because there is so much hand waving. So much terminology, so much artificial complexity. It's a game of chasing one guy with the ball, that's it. He can dial up pressures and mix coverages and do all that as much as the next guy, but it's desire that's at the heart of all great defenses, not design.

There is a reason Chinander doesn't describe his defense in the way others might, and he partially mentions it here, and I've mentioned it before in posts. Below is a quote from Bill Arnsparger, one of the greatest defensive coaches to ever coach, but a name whom many don't know because he had effective defenses, not flashy ones. He's another guy that could boil defense down to a concept anyone could understand.

Regarding the OVER and UNDER front, it is my feeling that both four man alignments, as we used for many years, and the three man alignment with the SAM or WILL committed are the same defensive front. In fact, this is how we originally began using the three man line in 1971. We lost a defensive end to injury and needed a replacement. The best player available was Bob Matheson, a former middle linebacker for the Browns, who at the time was being used as a defensive end. We traded for Bob and in talking with him saw no reason to line up with his hand on the ground. Thus the Dolphins' style three man OVER or UNDER concept began to take shape.

• Plus1 2

It was good, the next segment with Mike Schaefer I found interesting also.  Not so much what he said, but more what DB said.  They were discussing position groups and best and worse type stuff.   Schaefer really felt the D-line had a long ways to go, and Benning pretty much disagreed with him.  

I take that to mean DB feels the lack of production out of our d-line last year was more to do with scheme than personnel.  I agree with that assessment.  I am not saying that the d-line is going to be lights out great, but I expect it to be solid and improve throughout the season.

• Plus1 2
15 minutes ago, NUinID said:

It was good, the next segment with Mike Schaefer I found interesting also.  Not so much what he said, but more what DB said.  They were discussing position groups and best and worse type stuff.   Schaefer really felt the D-line had a long ways to go, and Benning pretty much disagreed with him.  

I take that to mean DB feels the lack of production out of our d-line last year was more to do with scheme than personnel.  I agree with that assessment.  I am not saying that the d-line is going to be lights out great, but I expect it to be solid and improve throughout the season.

I thought that was a good segment as well.  And I completely agree with your points.

I don't think it's at all fair to say that the DL struggled last year.  I think they were doing exactly what was being asked of them.  It's just that what they were being asked to do was ... basically nothing, just take up some space.

Now, when they are asked to do more this year will they be able to do that?  We'll find out.  But I do think we have several guys there who are capable.

• Plus1 2

12 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I thought that was a good segment as well.  And I completely agree with your points.

I don't think it's at all fair to say that the DL struggled last year.  I think they were doing exactly what was being asked of them.  It's just that what they were being asked to do was ... basically nothing, just take up some space.

Now, when they are asked to do more this year will they be able to do that?  We'll find out.  But I do think we have several guys there who are capable.

Yeah, I guess that is the big question, will they do more when they are allowed to.  Stolt is a space eater that is what he does, but the Davis twins are very athletic and I loved what Stille did when allowed to rush the passer. 

8 minutes ago, NUinID said:

Yeah, I guess that is the big question, will they do more when they are allowed to.  Stolt is a space eater that is what he does, but the Davis twins are very athletic and I loved what Stille did when allowed to rush the passer. 

Yeah, I really think we have enough guys that we'll be able to find a good combination and at least a couple subs to cause some disruption.  Stolt, CDavis, KDavis, Freedom, Stille, Thomas, Daniels.  I think many will be surprised by what that group gets done this year.

• Plus1 1

I think back to Freedom's RS FR year, and how disruptive he was as a pass rusher. He looked to have the ability of being an 8 sacks a year type DE. Then I see how poorly mismanaged he was physically and schematically. I imagine every one of our D-lineman regressed as well, but in different ways. Deontre Thomas is an obvious DE and they put him at Nose. I remember watching Carlos playing like a mad man his RS FR year and then that disappeared. There is plenty of talent on that D-line. Stille is going to be a monster. 

• Plus1 3
4 hours ago, NUinID said:

I think our D line surprises people this year for that reason. Diaco just wanted them to eat blocks to give the line backers a free shot at the ball carrier with the odd pass rush. Chinanders D cuts the D line lose in different situations and plays more aggressive, which is my preference.

43 minutes ago, Vince R. said:

I think back to Freedom's RS FR year, and how disruptive he was as a pass rusher. He looked to have the ability of being an 8 sacks a year type DE. Then I see how poorly mismanaged he was physically and schematically. I imagine every one of our D-lineman regressed as well, but in different ways. Deontre Thomas is an obvious DE and they put him at Nose. I remember watching Carlos playing like a mad man his RS FR year and then that disappeared. There is plenty of talent on that D-line. Stille is going to be a monster. 

Yeah, I forgot about DeSean Neal who I think will be in the mix, if he is half as disruptive as he was in the spring game he could have a good year.   Some linemen just take longer to get going.  Some guys take till their Jr year before they really contribute. 

1 hour ago, NUinID said:

Yeah, I forgot about DeSean Neal who I think will be in the mix, if he is half as disruptive as he was in the spring game he could have a good year.   Some linemen just take longer to get going.  Some guys take till their Jr year before they really contribute. 

Nothing against Neal but I haven't been really high on him.  Hope I'm wrong.

A year ago I was saying to people "Don't expect Freedom and the other D-linemen to make as many plays in a system like Diaco's - they're mostly there to eat up blocks, while the OLBs are the ones that get to be the big attack dogs bringing pressure."

Turns out I was wrong: the OLBs were never allowed to attack, either.

I still wonder what we would've seen out of Parella's crew if he'd been working under a better DC. Supposedly he wanted to be much more aggressive than Diaco would permit (same with D. Williams).

I do think we've got a reasonably good crew up front. I don't think the team's talent level has really fallen off. Well, it has compared to the mid-90s, but it's about the same as it was in the Bo era. It's like we're a team made up of nothing but promising freshmen: talented, but really under-coached.

• Plus1 2

“We don’t want guys who are making a lot of errors, but you need production,” Chinander said. “You need tackles for loss, you need sacks, you obviously need turnovers if you’re going to pair up with a Scott Frost offense. What I’m concerned with is (tackles for loss) stats, turnovers, limiting explosive plays, percentage on third down and percentage on red zone. Turnovers is king for me.”