Eradicating Diseases

1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

I wonder what the breakdown of anti-vaxxers by political leaning is, because I know some crazy hippies are anti vaxx but I also know a religious Republican fanatic who is anti vaxx.

Okay I looked:

This was written in 2015. I'm guessing the % of Republicans is higher now after Trump opening his mouth.

The difference in ages really annoys me. Old people had their brothers and sisters die of polio, and the younger people are too stupid to listen to them and understand what life could be like if people stop getting vaccinated. And it doesn't even take everyone stopping. We're all safer if everyone does it.

My mom once got into an argument with someone who said polio could've been stopped with nutrition. First and only time she was ever mean(ish) to someone over the internet.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna298606

I was thinking about this earlier. The older generations saw firsthand the devastation the diseases can cause, but the younger generations have never been experienced to it. So they almost feel untouchable and think it won't happen to me or my child.

• Plus1 1

On 7/5/2018 at 12:50 PM, Moiraine said:

I wonder what the breakdown of anti-vaxxers by political leaning is, because I know some crazy hippies are anti vaxx but I also know a religious Republican fanatic who is anti vaxx.

Okay I looked:

This was written in 2015. I'm guessing the % of Republicans is higher now after Trump opening his mouth.

The difference in ages really annoys me. Old people had their brothers and sisters die of polio, and the younger people are too stupid to listen to them and understand what life could be like if people stop getting vaccinated. And it doesn't even take everyone stopping. We're all safer if everyone does it.

My mom once got into an argument with someone who said polio could've been stopped with nutrition. First and only time she was ever mean(ish) to someone over the internet.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna298606

I'm not an anti-vaxxer, but I agree that parents should have a choice about vaccinating (or injecting anything) into their kids. I think vaccines are absolutely amazing, but corporations aren't known for having high quality especially on a monopoly product mandated by the government.

1 minute ago, RedDenver said:

I'm not an anti-vaxxer, but I agree that parents should have a choice about vaccinating (or injecting anything) into their kids. I think vaccines are absolutely amazing, but corporations aren't known for having high quality especially on a monopoly product mandated by the government.

I agree if they home school and don't subject other kids to theirs, ever.

Laws are generally for irresponsible people.  Most people know that driving 100mph down I-80 is dumb, but we have speed limits because of "some people".  Most people know taking something that doesn't belong to them is wrong, but there are laws about theft because of "some people".

If "some people" don't want to see laws requiring vaccination, I have an idea: do the smart and responsible thing.

3 hours ago, funhusker said:

Laws are generally for irresponsible people.  Most people know that driving 100mph down I-80 is dumb, but we have speed limits because of "some people".  Most people know taking something that doesn't belong to them is wrong, but there are laws about theft because of "some people".

If "some people" don't want to see laws requiring vaccination, I have an idea: do the smart and responsible thing.

We are all affected by laws that limit our personal freedoms.

Something else I've thought of (not necessarily related to your post) - fluoride in water. You have to go out of your way to not drink water with fluoride in it, i.e. put something in your body due to a government policy. Big difference is no one else is negatively affected if you don't drink it.

• 7 months later...
1 hour ago, funhusker said:

From that article:

Today we know beyond doubt, and with  rather than just anecdote, that this is true, and the question immediately arises: what caused it?

It seems indisputable: it is us. It is human activity – more specifically, three generations of industrialised farming with a vast tide of poisons pouring over the land year after year after year, since the end of the second world war. This is the true price of pesticide-based agriculture, which society has for so long blithely accepted.

This is really important and terrifying, so I'll link another article to try to help anyone interested in learning about it:

Warning of 'ecological Armageddon' after dramatic plunge in insect numbers

• Plus1 1

^^^I have an entomologist friend and she shares some very interesting and frighting articles.  Just one example is the dying off of bees.  This has actually started to get into the mainstream, because "surprise", it has an effect on markets.  So people are trying to do the right thing and raise honeybees and start hobby hives or whatever.  What people don't realize is this is adding to the problem.  The "honey bees" are actually assisting in the disappearance of "wild bees" that are responsible for a lot of pollination.

https://www.insidescience.org/news/how-bees-you-know-are-killing-bees-you-don’t

17 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

From that article:

This is really important and terrifying, so I'll link another article to try to help anyone interested in learning about it:

Warning of 'ecological Armageddon' after dramatic plunge in insect numbers

I went on a pretty interesting internet journey because of this.

Corn is the #1 crop in the U.S., and it's mostly used to feed cows and create a fuel which isn't a great alternative to gasoline. So we don't really need it to feed ourselves.

US-Corn-Use-million-bushels-2013-10-061-

I did however find this note, which is pretty cool. There is a insect resistant corn (a GMO) that doesn't require insecticide:

From wikipedia:

Insecticide use in the US has declined by more than half since 1980 (.6%/yr), mostly due to the near phase-out of organophosphates. In corn fields, the decline was even steeper, due to the switchover to transgenic Bt corn.[30]

I'm not sure what they mean for the % though. % of crops? If so, the total use might be higher.

6 hours ago, RedDenver said:

Looks like Bt corn actually works for reducing pesticide use:

6 hours ago, RedDenver said:

whereas Roundup Ready GMO's do not (due to insects developing a resistance):

Ummmm....Roundup is a herbicide....not an insecticide.  

On another note, can someone take me full circle on what some of this discussion has to do with the original topic?