You know what, there are some excellent responses in this thread, particularly @NM11046 and @Frott Scost. I've always respected and appreciated the abilities and work that dogs are capable of (service animals, police dogs, etc), just never quite understood the desire to keep animals inside the home for the purpose of companionship. I still question my brother's and neighbor's judgment in repeatedly bringing destructive dogs to their nice houses, but the rest of you seem all right.

• Plus1 1

On 7/3/2018 at 11:34 AM, Ulty said:

Point taken, and totally in agreement about the quality of parenting out there. If you compare crazy parents to crazy pet owners (not all pet owners), then the bad parents certainly take the cake. A thread containing examples of questionable parenting decisions would likely be entertaining.

As to my intent: stirring up discussion, yes. Intending to belittle, no. You don't come across as insane, but I bet you know plenty of pet owners who are!

I will admit that the dog owners that dye their dogs colors are not right in the head.  :-)   

This is timely, cuz if you want to see the love some of us have for the pups, ask how many of us stayed home last night cuz the 4th is a terrible evening for dogs.

2 hours ago, Ulty said:

You know what, there are some excellent responses in this thread, particularly @NM11046 and @Frott Scost. I've always respected and appreciated the abilities and work that dogs are capable of (service animals, police dogs, etc), just never quite understood the desire to keep animals inside the home for the purpose of companionship. I still question my brother's and neighbor's judgment in repeatedly bringing destructive dogs to their nice houses, but the rest of you seem all right.

Like I said in a earlier post, puppies are like little kids. Are babies and toddlers born knowing how to behave? No, but they learn over time with structure and training. People who dont want to take the time to train the puppies should not have them. Just like people who let their kids do whatever they want should not have kids.

• Plus1 2

I have had animals around me all my life from horses, dogs...etc.  I've raised and trained both.

All animals can be the most amazing companion you can have....and they can be the most annoying pain in the asses.  It's all in the training and time spent with them teaching them how to act and behave.  

In many ways, they are like kids.  When you properly teach them right from wrong, they love you for it and the relationship can be extremely meaningful.

The worst situation is people who have no clue how to train an animal and don't take the time to learn how to do it.  Then, the animal becomes a problem and then is neglected or abandoned because the owners think it's the animal's fault.  NO...it's YOUR fault.  Either you shouldn't have gotten it in the first place or should have taken the time to learn how to train it.

We had two dogs, one died and one should die soon.  So, we just got a new puppy in March.  MAN...they are a lot of work.  But, now she is coming around to being that good companion.

• Plus1 3

Boy this is a weird thread, and while the OP may have differing opinions than myself, I do find it weird that he would call people who loves dogs as "INSANE".  I am sure this is hyperbole, but it's still weird to me.

I myself am a "dog person".  I love my current dog, and I have loved the 2 other dogs that I have owned with my wife.  I am not an "overboard" dog lover, but our family dogs have been enormous parts of our family.  I don't think this makes me "INSANE".

• Plus1 2

Personally, I don't trust anyone who doesn't love dogs.  I think anyone who doesn't like dogs is Vladamir Putin and Shawn Eichorst plant sent here to America to sow discontent from within.  You monsters!!!

:D

Now cats, I can understand why people don't like cats: they're secretive, they poop inside the house, and can flip out on you just because it is Tuesday.  Cats are evil.

:P

• Plus1 2

We got our dog about 2 years ago and I was really against it. For one, we lived in a smallish apartment. The other reason is because dogs are a lot of work. They aren't like cats where you show them where food and the s#!t box are and they're pretty much good to go. While our dog still pulls the leash at times and may jump on someone when they come in, he's now my little (60 lbs) sidekick. He gets up when my alarm goes off. We eat breakfast together, then go for our morning walk. He's a damn couch hog, but in a good way.

He did get really sick one time. So sick the vet had to x-ray and scope his stomach to look for a blockage. We had to feed him chicken and rice for almost 2 weeks. We learned our lesson though. Tennis balls are only for playing fetch and not for chewing because he will destroy them and swallow pieces, and he only gets natural things to chew on: actual bones, antlers, etc. (No rawhide). He's been good ever since and at the end of the month he's going to go on his first camping trip with us.

• Plus1 2
  • 3 months later...