This is one of the things we talked about in what became the Scott Frost megathread. I believe we even posted some videos. Amazing watching Riley's postgame and then listening to his players in comparison. When you win by 40 and your players are talking about correcting mistakes, you know you have something.

"I love football, I love my teammates, I love winning."  Quiet but confident mixed together.  Blending desire with reality.  No smoke.  This audio, combined with the pics/videos of the weight room have me quite pumped up.  I know he is one guy, but gotta feel he is representative of the whole.  This attitude and buy in might be a good basis for why those that left made their choice.

Players have a knack for parroting what the coaches say to them.  I've heard enough talk about how things are improving for the past I don't know, too many years.  I'll buy in to what the players say when I see something of substance on the field.  I place more importance on what the coaches say.  I feel once they get the right players they'll have success since they've already shown that ability.

agree.  there maybe no lack of effort and buy in, but the lack of talent, especially on the D side may well be evident as the season unfolds.

12 hours ago, 4skers89 said:

Players have a knack for parroting what the coaches say to them.  I've heard enough talk about how things are improving for the past I don't know, too many years.  I'll buy in to what the players say when I see something of substance on the field.  I place more importance on what the coaches say.  I feel once they get the right players they'll have success since they've already shown that ability.

Players make the plays not coaches.  What comes out of the players mouth comes from the coaches.  With that said, they still have to put a product on field that is successful. 

13 hours ago, 4skers89 said:

I'll buy in to what the players say when I see something of substance on the field.  

I agree.  I feel like Damon is making way too much out of this interview. That said, I love Mo Berry and hope he does big things the next two years. 

3 hours ago, theknife said:

I agree.  I feel like Damon is making way too much out of this interview. That said, I love Mo Berry and hope he does big things the next two years. 

Buy in?    I would have thought by now we'd have heard some real inside news on the team, training, conditioning, etc.  Basically, from what little I have seen on this board, there is basically no news at all.   As the saying goes, "no news is bad news, usually" so it is rather troubling.  

For example, we've heard almost nothing about team and individual performance measures (speeds, heights, weights, weight loss/gains, body fats, times, etc.).   I am sure they are weighing in weekly, etc.   We ought to know if the team, as a group, atleast, is either getting in MUCH better shape or not.   The fact we hear nothing suggests there is not much good to report.  I hope not but?     

7 hours ago, theknife said:

I know!  This has been the most handjobbing I have ever heard/read from the media.  I thought DB was going to Frostgasam after that interview.

3 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Buy in?    I would have thought by now we'd have heard some real inside news on the team, training, conditioning, etc.  Basically, from what little I have seen on this board, there is basically no news at all.   As the saying goes, "no news is bad news, usually" so it is rather troubling.  

For example, we've heard almost nothing about team and individual performance measures (speeds, heights, weights, weight loss/gains, body fats, times, etc.).   I am sure they are weighing in weekly, etc.   We ought to know if the team, as a group, atleast, is either getting in MUCH better shape or not.   The fact we hear nothing suggests there is not much good to report.  I hope not but?     

When have we ever been privy to measurements over the summer?

10 hours ago, Moiraine said:

When have we ever been privy to measurements over the summer?

exactly..........everyone take a deep breath and breathe. 

14 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

anigif_sub-buzz-22642-1501596259-1.gif?d

10 hours ago, Hunter94 said:

exactly..........everyone take a deep breath and breathe. 

I never said we had been but basically there's been very little real news except for a number of guys leaving the team.   We heard nothing from the spring really either.  It's been about 15 years now.   Time for some real information and not just the coach spin of the past years.  

9 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I never said we had been but basically there's been very little real news except for a number of guys leaving the team.   We heard nothing from the spring really either.  It's been about 15 years now.   Time for some real information and not just the coach spin of the past years.  

We never get that kind of information, nor did we in the 90s from what I recall. I read pretty much every OWH article back then. Nor do we need to have the information. We're fans. Besides that, we've gotten plenty of little tidbits from Duval including videos. Not sure what you're wanting - we've seen some squat numbers, we've seen players improve their jumping height. What exactly are you looking for here?

On 7/12/2018 at 5:57 PM, 84HuskerLaw said:

Try Twitter dude....pics and videos galore. Little less talk and a lot more action is what these boys are into. First game in a month and a half...you’ll have plenty of fodder then.

39 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Actually there has been about the typical amount of news we usually get this time of year. However, the difference from the last 15 years is that it has generally been positive, good news. Remember not too long ago the revelations about how much lean mass the team was adding and the useless fat they were losing? All the reports of how hard the team is working, how they are already mimicking the coaches, the buy in and excitement of the players still on the team and quiet disappearance of what we can assume were mostly guys not prepared to put in the work or those that simply weren’t going to fit within the new team? I suppose some fans can elect to think this is the typical handjobbing we’ve been accustomed to these last too many years but I can sure recognize how it is different and much better. No news is good news is the correct saying. Because when there is a lot of news it’s usually bad news or BS conjecture.

I get the feeling there is going to be a much tighter ship run with Frost when it comes to media access/information getting out.  We as Nebraska fans have been pretty spoiled when it comes to access.  I have no basis for my guess, just a gut feeling that when I hear Frost speak, he comes across as a more buttoned up guy which in turn leads me to believe he will run a more buttoned up program.  

18 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Yeah, let’s release all the juicy details for the public, and other teams, to dissect. The team/coaches don’t owe us anything. They’re the ones working for all this, we get the easy job of rooting for them. 

What information are you looking for? 

7 hours ago, HuskerNBigD said:

Yeah, let’s release all the juicy details for the public, and other teams, to dissect. The team/coaches don’t owe us anything. They’re the ones working for all this, we get the easy job of rooting for them. 

Who the starting QB is

11 hours ago, HuskerNBigD said:

3 hours ago, Frott Scost said:

Who the starting QB is

7:00 PM September 1st will be soon enough for me and will probably have to be good enough for all of us. I’m guessing it will be whoever gives the offense the best chance of doing what Frost wants done. That’s all I need to know, the specific name is unimportant.

On 7/13/2018 at 5:45 PM, Xmas32 said:

I get the feeling there is going to be a much tighter ship run with Frost when it comes to media access/information getting out.

I think we can safely say it's more than a feeling at this point. The media was allotted approximately 30 minutes to view the team all spring, a far cry from last season (and Riley's mentality) which allowed for heavy media coverage and let reporters watch full practices with regularity.

I think there are pros and cons to both but I personally prefer the more reserved method that Frost (and even Pelini) implemented. I think the fan base sometimes needs to be protected from itself. We don't need to know everything all the time and practices should be a place for kids to fail and learn rather than worry about some reporter tweeting out all their dropped passes.

2 hours ago, Enhance said:

I think we can safely say it's more than a feeling at this point. The media was allotted approximately 30 minutes to view the team all spring, a far cry from last season (and Riley's mentality) which allowed for heavy media coverage and let reporters watch full practices with regularity.

I think there are pros and cons to both but I personally prefer the more reserved method that Frost (and even Pelini) implemented. I think the fan base sometimes needs to be protected from itself. We don't need to know everything all the time and practices should be a place for kids to fail and learn rather than worry about some reporter tweeting out all their dropped passes.

I'm making a new drinking game - drink every time Sam whines that he didn't get to watch practice.

13 minutes ago, Dilly Dilly said:

I'm making a new drinking game - drink every time Sam whines that he didn't get to watch practice.

Ha...No kidding, just wait until about the 3rd practice in August when we get this from Sam "It is really hard to say, we don't get to see any practice and I respect that, Frost has to do what he thinks is best but at the same time I think that letting the media see practice is beneficial" 

Then get ready to hear that once a week for the rest of the season.

I don't begrudge Sam his opinion and he's certainly not the only media member who complained about closed practices. In reality, it's like any other profession - anything that changes and makes it more difficult to do your job is naturally going to be met with frustration. That said, it is irritating to hear them make not-so-subtle complaints about it again and again. It's just one of those things that needs to be let go and (for the most part) I think it will be.

50 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I don't begrudge Sam his opinion and he's certainly not the only media member who complained about closed practices. In reality, it's like any other profession - anything that changes and makes it more difficult to do your job is naturally going to be met with frustration. That said, it is irritating to hear them make not-so-subtle complaints about it again and again. It's just one of those things that needs to be let go and (for the most part) I think it will be.

The rest may complain, sure, but, Sam seems to be the biggest baby about it.  He just needs to come to grips with it and find other ways to report his findings/opinions, and stop using that as an excuse.  

4 hours ago, Dilly Dilly said:

The rest may complain, sure, but, Sam seems to be the biggest baby about it.  He just needs to come to grips with it and find other ways to report his findings/opinions, and stop using that as an excuse.  

I completely agree but there is a small paradox with what you're saying in the bolded - there is no alternative or 'other' way to replace the access they lost. That's the crux of the concern for some of them.

I've been saying the following since the spring, too: anecdotally, I feel like some people are overblowing the media's stake in this. I've only seen a small portion of media members discuss the access changes in a negative light in the last several months. Again, that's just my experience so it's very possible I've missed some things. Most of them seem to have taken an 'it is what it is' stance. I haven't seen Sam negatively reference it since the spring and he got roasted for it.

I'll be perfectly satisfied with extremely limited media coverage and scant information as long as the product on the field is much improved from the past 15 years. So far I'm convinced it will be so I'm happy. I think Frost has a plan and knows what he's doing. Sam and others can complain all they want.

26 minutes ago, Comfortably Numb said:

I'll be perfectly satisfied with extremely limited media coverage and scant information as long as the product on the field is much improved from the past 15 years. So far I'm convinced it will be so I'm happy. I think Frost has a plan and knows what he's doing. Sam and others can complain all they want.

Same here...if they are winning, I don't care.  If they are losing I want the inside reporting so that we have more stuff to complain about.

17 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Same here...if they are winning, I don't care.  If they are losing I want the inside reporting so that we have more stuff to complain about.

Exactly. I think it's been so long for some of the older folks and many of the younger ones have never known any different but that's how it's supposed to work. When the coaches are capable, the team plays hard and things aren't an absolute embarrassment and complete clusterF, it negates a lot of the need for info and bitching etc. It's going to take quite a bit of adjusting for many people I would imagine.

1 hour ago, Making Chimichangas said:

I look at it this way: I am fine with whatever information does come out because I know as a fan I am not entitled to anything.

I don't think we need to operate in such absolutes, though. I don't mean to pick on you Chimi but I've seen this before and it gets under my skin a bit.

The fans are financial stakeholders in a public university and that relationship demands a measure of access. I also don't know if there's a better way to do it over the other i.e. more access vs. less access. I think less is ultimately best for a variety of reasons but that's just my personal belief.

35 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I don't think we need to operate in such absolutes, though. I don't mean to pick on you Chimi but I've seen this before and it gets under my skin a bit.

The fans are financial stakeholders in a public university and that relationship demands a measure of access. I also don't know if there's a better way to do it over the other i.e. more access vs. less access. I think less is ultimately best for a variety of reasons but that's just my personal belief.

agree, less is best.

The fans are financial stakeholders in a public university and that relationship demands a measure of access.

Usually occurs between 11am and 7pm, Saturdays between September and November. Weather permitting.

4 hours ago, Making Chimichangas said:

I look at it this way: I am fine with whatever information does come out because I know as a fan I am not entitled to anything.

And as fans, a great number of us think we know more, and can make valuable judgments from statistical information.  Truth is, maybe 1 out of 100 who feel that way could actually read those statistics and make solid inferences.  We're really only being denied the opportunity to make ourselves feel like we are football gurus.

I think you misunderstand me?

I concur we, as fans, are stakeholders and as such we have a vested interest in the overall success of the program.  What I meant was: As fans, things such as testing results, player injury information, what the team has for breakfast--that type of stuff--we don't need to know.  That's trivial, and in the case of player information on injuries, it is personal.  Some fans think they need to know all this stuff.  I just think we don't.

8 hours ago, Making Chimichangas said:

I think you misunderstand me?

I concur we, as fans, are stakeholders and as such we have a vested interest in the overall success of the program.  What I meant was: As fans, things such as testing results, player injury information, what the team has for breakfast--that type of stuff--we don't need to know.  That's trivial, and in the case of player information on injuries, it is personal.  Some fans think they need to know all this stuff.  I just think we don't.

That makes more sense and especially agree with the bolded.

15 hours ago, Comfortably Numb said:

I'll be perfectly satisfied with extremely limited media coverage and scant information as long as the product on the field is much improved from the past 15 years. 

Nobody cares about media access during the season.  It's the offseason that's much more enjoyable.

How is it that we are talking about buy in but when Riley and Co took over there was NO WAY that buy in was a factor in what was going on?

Buy in is always a factor during/after coaching changes.

7 minutes ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

How is it that we are talking about buy in but when Riley and Co took over there was NO WAY that buy in was a factor in what was going on?

Buy in is always a factor during/after coaching changes.

It was a factor then, too, but very different scenarios. Hitting rock bottom can be a very powerful incentive to change.

32 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Nobody cares about media access during the season.  It's the offseason that's much more enjoyable.

Good point but I didn't mean to say it's not enjoyable or I wouldn't like to see more. It does get slow and boring in July but I'd rather hear nothing than be getting a bunch of smoke blown up my ass.  Maybe I'm just gun shy based on what we heard in the off season the last few years compared to what actually happened on Saturdays in the fall.

27 minutes ago, brophog said:

It was a factor then, too, but very different scenarios. Hitting rock bottom can be a very powerful incentive to change.

I believe it was as well. That said, I do recall that while lurking some of the very same people in this thread who are talking about buy in now are the ones that were telling us buy in is not a factor with teams and especially ours.