Buy In

13 minutes ago, Dilly Dilly said:

I'm making a new drinking game - drink every time Sam whines that he didn't get to watch practice.

Ha...No kidding, just wait until about the 3rd practice in August when we get this from Sam "It is really hard to say, we don't get to see any practice and I respect that, Frost has to do what he thinks is best but at the same time I think that letting the media see practice is beneficial" 

Then get ready to hear that once a week for the rest of the season.

I don't begrudge Sam his opinion and he's certainly not the only media member who complained about closed practices. In reality, it's like any other profession - anything that changes and makes it more difficult to do your job is naturally going to be met with frustration. That said, it is irritating to hear them make not-so-subtle complaints about it again and again. It's just one of those things that needs to be let go and (for the most part) I think it will be.

• Plus1 1
50 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I don't begrudge Sam his opinion and he's certainly not the only media member who complained about closed practices. In reality, it's like any other profession - anything that changes and makes it more difficult to do your job is naturally going to be met with frustration. That said, it is irritating to hear them make not-so-subtle complaints about it again and again. It's just one of those things that needs to be let go and (for the most part) I think it will be.

The rest may complain, sure, but, Sam seems to be the biggest baby about it.  He just needs to come to grips with it and find other ways to report his findings/opinions, and stop using that as an excuse.  

4 hours ago, Dilly Dilly said:

The rest may complain, sure, but, Sam seems to be the biggest baby about it.  He just needs to come to grips with it and find other ways to report his findings/opinions, and stop using that as an excuse.  

I completely agree but there is a small paradox with what you're saying in the bolded - there is no alternative or 'other' way to replace the access they lost. That's the crux of the concern for some of them.

I've been saying the following since the spring, too: anecdotally, I feel like some people are overblowing the media's stake in this. I've only seen a small portion of media members discuss the access changes in a negative light in the last several months. Again, that's just my experience so it's very possible I've missed some things. Most of them seem to have taken an 'it is what it is' stance. I haven't seen Sam negatively reference it since the spring and he got roasted for it.

I'll be perfectly satisfied with extremely limited media coverage and scant information as long as the product on the field is much improved from the past 15 years. So far I'm convinced it will be so I'm happy. I think Frost has a plan and knows what he's doing. Sam and others can complain all they want.

• Plus1 1
26 minutes ago, Comfortably Numb said:

I'll be perfectly satisfied with extremely limited media coverage and scant information as long as the product on the field is much improved from the past 15 years. So far I'm convinced it will be so I'm happy. I think Frost has a plan and knows what he's doing. Sam and others can complain all they want.

Same here...if they are winning, I don't care.  If they are losing I want the inside reporting so that we have more stuff to complain about.

17 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Same here...if they are winning, I don't care.  If they are losing I want the inside reporting so that we have more stuff to complain about.

Exactly. I think it's been so long for some of the older folks and many of the younger ones have never known any different but that's how it's supposed to work. When the coaches are capable, the team plays hard and things aren't an absolute embarrassment and complete clusterF, it negates a lot of the need for info and bitching etc. It's going to take quite a bit of adjusting for many people I would imagine.

1 hour ago, Making Chimichangas said:

I look at it this way: I am fine with whatever information does come out because I know as a fan I am not entitled to anything.

I don't think we need to operate in such absolutes, though. I don't mean to pick on you Chimi but I've seen this before and it gets under my skin a bit.

The fans are financial stakeholders in a public university and that relationship demands a measure of access. I also don't know if there's a better way to do it over the other i.e. more access vs. less access. I think less is ultimately best for a variety of reasons but that's just my personal belief.

35 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I don't think we need to operate in such absolutes, though. I don't mean to pick on you Chimi but I've seen this before and it gets under my skin a bit.

The fans are financial stakeholders in a public university and that relationship demands a measure of access. I also don't know if there's a better way to do it over the other i.e. more access vs. less access. I think less is ultimately best for a variety of reasons but that's just my personal belief.

agree, less is best.

4 hours ago, Making Chimichangas said:

I look at it this way: I am fine with whatever information does come out because I know as a fan I am not entitled to anything.

And as fans, a great number of us think we know more, and can make valuable judgments from statistical information.  Truth is, maybe 1 out of 100 who feel that way could actually read those statistics and make solid inferences.  We're really only being denied the opportunity to make ourselves feel like we are football gurus.

2 hours ago, Enhance said:

I think you misunderstand me?

I concur we, as fans, are stakeholders and as such we have a vested interest in the overall success of the program.  What I meant was: As fans, things such as testing results, player injury information, what the team has for breakfast--that type of stuff--we don't need to know.  That's trivial, and in the case of player information on injuries, it is personal.  Some fans think they need to know all this stuff.  I just think we don't.

8 hours ago, Making Chimichangas said:

I think you misunderstand me?

I concur we, as fans, are stakeholders and as such we have a vested interest in the overall success of the program.  What I meant was: As fans, things such as testing results, player injury information, what the team has for breakfast--that type of stuff--we don't need to know.  That's trivial, and in the case of player information on injuries, it is personal.  Some fans think they need to know all this stuff.  I just think we don't.

That makes more sense and especially agree with the bolded.