Huskers Finalize Morning Practices for Fall

The Nebraska football team will practice in the morning throughout the regular season and fall semester for perhaps the first time in program history.

The move to morning practices was largely expected given its importance to Frost and his staff, but it still took extensive coordination and time to get all of the pieces situated in a way that worked, an NU football spokesman confirmed.

Once the fall semester begins, the Huskers have the mornings until 11:30 a.m. cleared out on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, and until noon on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

There are still some finer points being worked through -- evenings, which generally include team dinner and meetings, for example -- but by and large the day-to-day schedule is in place.

LJS

What a great thing to pull off if that’s what they wanted. To coordinate classes, professors, meals, meetings, films, access, etc etc etc....is no small feat, especially with practices in the mornings. I hope it pays off like they want 

On Damon Benning's show this week they were discussing something similar happening at Alabama when Saban came on board.  In essence the university accommodated the football program by making sure the kids had classes available during times that would enable Saban and the coaches to have the kids at times they chose.

The 'kids are at their peak physical performance in the morning' philosophy is something I've been meaning to look more into for some time because I've often heard different claims about what time of day is best for exercise. Some experts will say between the hours of 3-6 p.m. In fact, I remember watching a documentary (maybe five or six years ago) about a premiere UFC fighter who was manipulating his body clock so that he would wake up late morning or early afternoon and workout in the evenings (exactly at the same time his upcoming fight was going to be). He claimed his body was its best this amount of hours after waking up but also that it would give him an advantage during the fight because his body would be used to exerting itself at the same time.

A lot of it probably comes down to the sport, workout plans and then just preference. Sounds like one of their biggest reasons for doing this is to give the kids' bodies more hours to recover before Saturday games. Given that we're moving towards a more physical mentality, this should all help during the grind of the season.

• Plus1 1
11 hours ago, Enhance said:

The 'kids are at their peak physical performance in the morning' philosophy is something I've been meaning to look more into for some time because I've often heard different claims about what time of day is best for exercise. Some experts will say between the hours of 3-6 p.m. In fact, I remember watching a documentary (maybe five or six years ago) about a premiere UFC fighter who was manipulating his body clock so that he would wake up late morning or early afternoon and workout in the evenings (exactly at the same time his upcoming fight was going to be). He claimed his body was its best this amount of hours after waking up but also that it would give him an advantage during the fight because his body would be used to exerting itself at the same time.

A lot of it probably comes down to the sport, workout plans and then just preference. Sounds like one of their biggest reasons for doing this is to give the kids' bodies more hours to recover before Saturday games. Given that we're moving towards a more physical mentality, this should all help during the grind of the season.

Yeah, I really think it is about the recovery time.  

11 hours ago, Enhance said:

Disagree from a personal experience perspective. I hated waking up early to work out.  It was always, always my best workout though. I actually resurrected my body into peak performance shape due to morning workouts. At night, I’d just feel strapped for time and wouldn’t get the most out of my time. Often too tired from the day as well.

12 hours ago, Enhance said:

Frost said it was more about class. Said the kids wouldn't skip early morning practice, but they would consider skipping a 7 AM class.

If they have already been up/on campus for 6 hours, they will be ready for class then.  That is the idea.

7 hours ago, runningblind said:

Frost said it was more about class. Said the kids wouldn't skip early morning practice, but they would consider skipping a 7 AM class.

If they have already been up/on campus for 6 hours, they will be ready for class then.  That is the idea.

This... 

And the fact that they will have more recovery time between the last tough practice Wednesday and the game on Saturday.  Helps keep you fresh