He's about to hurt some feelings in the Big Ten

I wasn't sure where to put this, but i found this youtube video posted elsewhere -- a couple of FSU fans breaking down some of UCF plays vs USF, and really gushing over Frost, calling him the best of the new hires (even over Taggart, their 'new guy'.).  Comparing him to Urban Meyer -- "No one could tell WHY Urban was going to be successful, they just knew he was going to be".  

Anyway - if you have ~40 minutes, enjoy this video.  I thought it was great. 

• Plus1 6

Thanks for posting that. Very informative. For those that may have concerns that this offense, perhaps because of formation or perceived style, isn't a run centric offense then this video will be reassuring. I question their overuse of the phrase "triple option" since that condones a pretty specific idea in football lingo, but the point they make that this offense generates many potential threats on any given play is well cited.

This is an offense focused video, not an example of the numerous responsibilities a head coach has to make a program great, but it is a pretty good video on how Frost and Walters execute the offense.

• Plus1 1

Not too bad of a video. I agree that the term triple option conjures up the I formation with dive and pitch reads. They were clear enough about that point but maybe 'triple outlet' might be a better description. I've been reading about Frost's Spread and how he uses so a lot of screens to keep the defense, well, spread out. I loved Osborne's counter option, so I liked the part 11:15 when they're were talking about the counter.

One thing I would say is there is more going on in the ace formation than what they mentioned. Maybe it's a bit of nuance but I look for it. When showing the ace formation, the tailback lines up in one of three positions. With the Outside Zone Read, the tail back lines as the same depth as the QB, with Inside Zone Read, the TB is a few steps behind. (The tailback can also lineup ahead of the QB in a protection set. I haven't noticed Frost use this.) Frost favors the OZR look but uses a healthy dose of IZR look as well.

spread.jpg.99e2f294d8788603e7a90139f81c7843.jpg

Anyway, thx for posting, I learned a little more. 

"I really believe you got some good times ahead of you ... just stick with it."  

Love that statement.  I tend to connect with the fans on this board who can have the maturity to understand that we believe we have the right guy and won't come calling for Frost's head when he doesn't win the National Championship next year.

3 hours ago, The Dude said:

Don't even say that.  I will seriously freak out.

I'd take the stability, results and character of Tom Osborne to lead :bigredn: any day of the week.  For me and to me ... this is what we have in Scott Frost.  I think Frost embodies exactly what Tom Osborne did for :bigredn:.  Frost will be his own man ... but represents everything I want for the program.  All that needs to occur now is for the fans to let him do his job ... just like Osborne.  A National Championship may happen next year.  It may come in his later years ... but the program will be represented well with stability, results and character.  I'm all :bigredn: on Frost.  I won't freak out at all if he doesn't win a Natty next year.  I know I'll like the product and come to love it over the years.  We are so lucky to get in on the ground floor of this coach's ability.  Just wish we would have been humbled enough to go for him three years ago.

• Plus1 1
50 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

I'd take the stability, results and character of Tom Osborne to lead :bigredn: any day of the week.  For me and to me ... this is what we have in Scott Frost.  I think Frost embodies exactly what Tom Osborne did for :bigredn:.  Frost will be his own man ... but represents the everything I want for the program.  All that needs to occur now is for the fans to let him do his job ... just like Osborne.  A National Championship may happen next year.  It may come in his later years ... but the program will be represented well with stability, results and character.  I'm all :bigredn: on Frost.  I won't freak out at all if he doesn't win a Natty next year.  I know I'll like the product and come to love it over the years.  We are so lucky to get in on the ground floor of this coach's ability.  Just wish we would have been humbled enough to go for him three years ago.

You mean, the fans that nearly ran him out of town, and right into Colorado's outstretched arms? :) 

• Plus1 4

15 hours ago, BigRedN said:

I'd take the stability, results and character of Tom Osborne to lead :bigredn: any day of the week.  For me and to me ... this is what we have in Scott Frost.  I think Frost embodies exactly what Tom Osborne did for :bigredn:.  Frost will be his own man ... but represents everything I want for the program.  All that needs to occur now is for the fans to let him do his job ... just like Osborne.  A National Championship may happen next year.  It may come in his later years ... but the program will be represented well with stability, results and character.  I'm all :bigredn: on Frost.  I won't freak out at all if he doesn't win a Natty next year.  I know I'll like the product and come to love it over the years.  We are so lucky to get in on the ground floor of this coach's ability.  Just wish we would have been humbled enough to go for him three years ago.

I'm as delusional as the next fan and have drank plenty of kool-aid but I think we need to accept that we may not win another Natty in the next 10 years - But I fully expect to be in the BIG championship game consistently and competing for the playoff in the next few (2-5) years. We have to give Frost time because (and I know it's been said before) if we 'can' him too soon then this program is doomed. It took Dr. Tom 20 years to win his 1st Natty before going on his run. We need to give Frost that time - so long as we are competitive and there are no scandals. 

40 minutes ago, bugeater17 said:

I'm as delusional as the next fan and have drank plenty of kool-aid but I think we need to accept that we may not win another Natty in the next 10 years - But I fully expect to be in the BIG championship game consistently and competing for the playoff in the next few (2-5) years. We have to give Frost time because (and I know it's been said before) if we 'can' him too soon then this program is doomed. It took Dr. Tom 20 years to win his 1st Natty before going on his run. We need to give Frost that time - so long as we are competitive and there are no scandals. 

We should be playing in the CCG consistently.  If we accomplish that, we should win one every once in a  while.  THAT automatically puts us into the National Championship picture, because we will be in the playoffs.

That is where Nebraska should be.  Actually winning the NC takes one hell of a lot of building and establishing a program....and a lot of luck.  

The path is set for us.  We just need to get there with Frost.

• Plus1 1
25 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

We should be playing in the CCG consistently.  If we accomplish that, we should win one every once in a  while.  THAT automatically puts us into the National Championship picture, because we will be in the playoffs.

That is where Nebraska should be.  Actually winning the NC takes one hell of a lot of building and establishing a program....and a lot of luck.  

The path is set for us.  We just need to get there with Frost.

Agree, except winning the Big Ten championship won't automatically get us in the playoff. The rest of the season matters.

If we're playing in the championship game though, that means we're still having good seasons and probably going to New Years bowl games, a big improvement from last year's bowl game...

5 minutes ago, HS_Coach_C said:

Agree, except winning the Big Ten championship won't automatically get us in the playoff. The rest of the season matters.

If we're playing in the championship game though, that means we're still having good seasons and probably going to New Years bowl games, a big improvement from last year's bowl game...

Yes, the rest of the season matters.  But, I believe the Big Ten would have to really fall from grace to not have the Champion in the playoffs.

• Plus1 1