247 Composite: #103 Overall; #22 SG; .9540; :star:star:star:star 

Rivals: #118 Overall; #27 SF; :star:star:star:star 
247: #166 Overall; #36 SG; :star:star:star 
ESPN: #88 OVR;  #20 SG :FourStar: 

Highlights:

• Plus1 1

On 7/19/2018 at 3:44 PM, seaofred92 said:

Mike Sautter thinks he will be N

https://www.omaha.com/neprepzone/recruiting/boys-basketball/bright-future-awaits-donovan-williams-after-first-power-conference-offer/article_629c1cc1-44a0-5fd2-8fcf-e4ca9efd602e.html

Nebraska basketball coach Tim Miles and assistant Michael Lewis had a close eye on Donovan Williams in New York City last weekend.

The Lincoln North Star guard had already built a strong relationship with the Husker coaches when he made an unofficial visit to campus June 27. His performance at the Adidas Gauntlet Finale earned him a scholarship offer, which he received Saturdayfrom the hometown school.

“I am pretty excited about it, and them believing in me and taking a chance on me is real big for me and my family,” said Williams, the No. 2 player in the 2020 NebHSRecruiting rankings. “I’m just excited to see what the future holds for us.”

Nebraska and Wisconsin could eventually emerge as top contenders for Williams, though the Badgers haven’t offered him yet. He unofficially visited Wisconsin April 23 and attended its elite camp two months later.

His brother, Bryson, will be a freshman defensive tackle for the Badgers this fall after a standout football career at Lincoln Southeast. Bryson chose Wisconsin over a number of schools, including a late offer from Scott Frost and the new Husker coaching staff.

“I have really good ties to Wisconsin, and Nebraska is the only power-conference offer,” Williams said. “It is something to talk about, obviously.”

Trust will play a big role for Donovan Williams throughout his recruitment. He wants to be in the best position to play at the highest level of college basketball, and academics will also be important.

But Williams, who will be a junior next season, has time to evaluate his options.

“I want to absorb the whole process and just have fun with it and see where it goes,” he said. “I am not ready to make a decision anytime soon. I’ll know when the time is right. It could be next week, a month from now or a year from now.”

• Plus1 1
  • 2 weeks later...

https://hailvarsity.com/s/4251/2020-g-donovan-williams-on-nebraska-loyalty-and-upcoming-visits

Nebraska has built up a strong relationship with Williams, one of the best high school players in Lincoln who averaged 18.3 points for the Navigators as a sophomore. A few weeks before offering, the Huskers had Williams take an unofficial visit to see the facilities.

“If I can rate it one to 10, it would definitely be a 10,” Williams said about his visit. “Just the facilities and the nutritionist, the weight room, the gym — everything is just on point. It’s like nowhere else in the country that I’ve seen yet. The technology they have that the athletes can use on a day-to-day basis is just crazy. It was just a great experience for me and my family.”

Nebraska was a consistent presence in the coaches section at the Hardwood as assistant coach Michael Lewis was there for most of Williams’ games this weekend. Williams certainly noticed.

“People don’t understand this, but loyalty’s a big thing for me,” Williams said. “At the end of all this, at the end of the recruiting stage, the schools that weren’t here, I think they’re going to look back and wish they would have been there like Nebraska was because they’ve been there almost every single game. They text me every single day, checking up on me, because they just care about me. Not even about basketball, just being a normal person. That’s going to go a long way for me.”

Lewis is the lead recruiter for in-state prospects and Williams said the two of them have developed a strong relationship.

“He’s a coach, obviously, but on the other hand he’s kind of like a close friend of mine, almost like a teenager,” Williams said. “We just talk every day and I ask him how he’s doing, kind of personal. We’re real close and he’s taught me a lot.”

When might a return visit to Nebraska be in the works? 

“Honestly, I’ll probably be there a few days upcoming this week just to hang out,” Williams said. “I usually just go up there to hang out and play video games with the team and stuff like that. I’ll be up there soon.”

• Plus1 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

• Mavric changed the title to 2020 CG Donovan Williams
  • Mavric unpinned this topic