Ron Brown Returns to Nebraska as Director of Player Development

On 7/18/2018 at 12:33 PM, Cdog923 said:

....which is perfectly fine, as long as you can see that there is a certain percentage of the fanbase that will be bothered by this hire. 

I wonder what that certain percentage is.  

• Plus1 1

I remember reading Eric Lueshen's story when he was invited by local radio to speak about his experiences at Nebraska. You can imagine what it was like for one of the first openly gay players in that locker room.  It's a story worth reading.

The gay kicker and the homophobe

Eric lays out his thoughts on the Ron Brown hire here.  He's definitely interested in opening dialog. It'd be great for the locker room if Husker coaches, especially Ron Brown, take him up on that offer.

• Plus1 3

On 7/19/2018 at 3:34 PM, Saunders said:

Ron Brown developed some damn fine football players while at NU. Hell, just look at the RB's he developed under Bo (Roy, Rex, Ameer), and look at what's happened since then. If some of that teaching/coaching can translate over, it will help overcome the debacle of the last 3 years sooner.

But he wasn't hired as a coach to impact players as such.  He was hired as someone that Frost "wanted to influence the men, outside of a coaching role".

On 7/19/2018 at 3:34 PM, Saunders said:

• Plus1 1

Ron could put all this debate to rest by using his role immediately to do outreach to LBGTQ players and to everyone else on the team to establish a dialogue about respect, equal treatment regardless of sexual oreintation etc.  If he doesn't (imo) we have his statement, and I don't agree with it.  The best thing a coach to young men can be is an example, one during the good times when they make the right decisions as well as when they make a mistake and show maturity and openness to acknowledge it and correct it.

• Plus1 2

One thing I really don't like about it is it has to be extremely hard for a football player to come out to any of the coaches or players and Ron Brown will be someone they feel they can't talk to, and that sucks, because it seems like being someone to talk to is a major part of his role.

I was in a multicultural education class with some football players a few years ago and we were discussing homosexuality and they laughed at the idea that anyone on the team could possibly be gay. Like it was impossible, and the funniest thing in the world.

Someone in a role like Brown's could literally be the only person a gay player feels comfortable talking to about it.

31 minutes ago, southernoregonhusker said:

http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/7889925/huskers-assistant-football-coach-ron-brown-publicly-condemns-gays

Here's an old Rick Reilly article about Brown.  Apparently he wanted gays to be fired from their jobs as well and threatened the city council with eternal damnation.  How many city council meetings has he spoke his anti-gay rhetoric to?

This article actually contains the hyperbole I was accused of earlier in this thread. Reilly is a hot-take artist. Instead of reasonable discourse, this article is meant to inflame.