How will Neb. compare to other major programs who fell off in 2017?

Should we expect Frost & Co. to turn the program around at and equivalent (or quicker) rate than other traditionally major Programs.

I'm talking about teams like...

Florida St - (7-6) in 2017

Texas - (7-6)

UCLA - (6-7)

Oregon - (7-6)

Florida - (4-7)

Tennessee - (4-8)

Some of these teams are in a recruiting HOT bed, and could see a complete turnaround within 2 seasons.

Which program will see the quickest return to powerhouse status; and how will Neb. compare to these programs in your opinion?

• Plus1 1

Nebraska can have a worse record than any of those teams but still make more long term progress.

The SEC and ACC are top heavy. The teams in those conferences can rack up some cupcake wins.

i guess it seems like it could be a irrelevant discussion or question what happens within 2 years. Remember Bo Pelion bear Dabo Sweeney in year one and had Nebraska playing for conference championships within the first couple of years. Wasn’t built for the long haul though like Dabo.

• Plus1 1

I anticipate that Frost and Nebraska will get turned around quicker and more completely than any of those other powerhouse teams you listed. That is not to say we will necessarily have the best record of that list this year or next year (but we might). But over the longer haul when we look back, I think we will be in much better shape than any of them.

9 hours ago, Red_Payne said:

Should we expect Frost & Co. to turn the program around at and equivalent (or quicker) rate than other traditionally major Programs.

Texas - (7-6)

UCLA - (6-7)

Oregon - (7-6)

Florida - (4-7)

Tennessee - (4-8)

Some of these teams are in a recruiting HOT bed, and could see a complete turnaround within 2 seasons.

Which program will see the quickest return to powerhouse status; and how will Neb. compare to these programs in your opinion?

Florida will turn it around rather quickly.  Here's why:

1.  Mullen is a very underrated coach.

2.  Outside of Georgia the SEC East is garbage.

3.  Recruiting hotbed, obviously and can turn it around faster than those other programs 

• Plus1 1
9 hours ago, Red_Payne said:

Texas - (7-6)

UCLA - (6-7)

Oregon - (7-6)

Florida - (4-7)

Tennessee - (4-8)

Texas will be the quickest because they are a year ahead of the rest. Herman will have them respectable this year I would imagine.

• Plus1 1

33 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Texas will be the quickest because they are a year ahead of the rest. Herman will have them respectable this year I would imagine.

yes, as much as i dislike Texas, they have some great talent on that team......just a matter of time until the coaches get them right.

Agreed about Texas. I’d also say that if Cristobal is even close to the right guy then I expect Oregon to have a great year and be all over the national conversation. They have what I would assume is the easiest out of conference schedule in the nation, playing home games against Bowling Green, Portland State, and San Jose State. They also get to avoid USC while facing Stanford and Washington at home this year. I think anything under 8 wins would have to be considered a major disappointment. And their defense will be in year 2 of the system while their offense has a lot of talent.

• Plus1 1

UCLA, Florida and Tennessee have been so consistently average to terrible it's hard to even consider the alternative.  Texas was in a similar situation to ours last year, they'll be much improved. I'd say it's us Oregon and FSU to crown a true who wins the best first year crown.  And really, I'd say it's us by a long shot.

5 hours ago, Hunter94 said:

yes, as much as i dislike Texas, they have some great talent on that team......just a matter of time until the coaches get them right.

Herman had a good transition year, they used that momentum to secure a great recruiting class, and the schedule sets up pretty good for him. If he's "the guy" then he should have a very good year.

• Plus1 2

20 hours ago, Red_Payne said:

Texas - (7-6)

UCLA - (6-7)

Oregon - (7-6)

Florida - (4-7)

Tennessee - (4-8)

My opinions: Florida State will be the quickest to rebound but won't be national contenders under taggart, ucla will have the best improvements of the programs listed (us and ucla imo), and oregon will never be the team they were before, they are gonna go back into irrelevancy because the 2 people who made oregon what it was are gone. 

12 hours ago, brophog said:

Herman had a good transition year, they used that momentum to secure a great recruiting class, and the schedule sets up pretty good for him. If he's "the guy" then he should have a very good year.

I can't find the link, but I I saw an interview with Herman where he stated how much he misunderstood the importance of culture when he took over at Texas. He said the team was loaded with 4* and 5* players who expected everything to be easy and expected to be starters. He went on to say that was the number one thing to correct going into year 2. I think that explains alot about hoe Nebraska can beat teams in recruiting hot beds. By recruiting kids with hart and talent, we can beat teams with superior talent.

12 hours ago, FearAmeer said:

My opinions: Florida State will be the quickest to rebound but won't be national contenders under taggart, ucla will have the best improvements of the programs listed (us and ucla imo), and oregon will never be the team they were before, they are gonna go back into irrelevancy because the 2 people who made oregon what it was are gone

I agree with everything you said here.  Also, love the point about Oregon.  It is evidenced by the teams you highlight as having the best improvements...lol

15 hours ago, brophog said:

This.  All day.

I've seen Taggart mentioned.  He's a very good coach, i just don't think he's a GREAT coach.  At least not yet.  He could prove me wrong.

Texas is set up the best to succeed.

18 hours ago, MichiganDad3 said:

I can't find the link, but I I saw an interview with Herman where he stated how much he misunderstood the importance of culture when he took over at Texas. He said the team was loaded with 4* and 5* players who expected everything to be easy and expected to be starters. He went on to say that was the number one thing to correct going into year 2. I think that explains alot about hoe Nebraska can beat teams in recruiting hot beds. By recruiting kids with hart and talent, we can beat teams with superior talent.

That's been a major issue at Texas for a long time. It became enormous under Brown, Strong never came close to solving it, and now it's Herman's problem. It's been a well documented issue over the years and it's a significant challenge for Herman. I think he's making strides, but that state, that school, and the general community don't make that easy. Football in Texas is just different.

I like where Nebraska is in this regard. I feel the returning players were humbled by last year, and this class being assembled, in particular, is being composed of some tough minded, hard working players.