ESPN Talks About College Message Boards

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/24011044/message-boards-texags-tigerdroppings-keep-college-football-weird

This is an article I found on ESPN about Message Boards. Sadly, it does not talk about Nebraska in it but I thought it was an interesting read and wanted to share!

Also, can some Mod/someone help me on how to quote from the article? Thanks.

• Plus1 2

And it's not just fans, either. Whether it's an actual coach or member of the support staff at large, most football programs monitor message boards either to track rumors or simply to stay on top of the conversation.

So the question is, which members of HuskerBoard are secretly on the UNL AD staff?

The spying and Orwellian State we live in...:ahhhhhhhh  :lol:  

That a former director of the CIA, president of a major university and soon-to-be secretary of defense would post on a message board devoted primarily to college athletics shattered the popularly held notion that most users lived in their mother's basement with nothing better to do than obsess over sports. In fact, the truth is quite the opposite, with at least one study finding the average poster to be upper middle class and college educated.

Does the term college alum ring a bell?  I realize you can be a fan of a college football team and never set foot on the campus, but I think that a higher than random expectation of poster for many universities (except Nebraska, of course) would support / be interested in the school they went to.

• Plus1 1

Some message boards actually get to pick coaches and athletic directors. See Tennessee. I read the article. Some schools seem to cater to certain message boards and other schools seem to be oblivious that message boards even exist. That TexAgs one is very influential. ShaggyBevo, not so much actual influence, just a steady source of embarrassment for the ShortTusks. 

• Plus1 2

It should be considered a compliment that Huskerboard isn't mentioned. It's because this place is by and large drama and immaturity free, in comparison. A lot of other blue blood programs boards' resemble the cancerous trash can that is our game threads, except they resemble that all year long. 

PSA: Don't post in game threads. They're bad for you.

10 hours ago, Landlord said:

It should be considered a compliment that Huskerboard isn't mentioned. It's because this place is by and large drama and immaturity free, in comparison. A lot of other blue blood programs boards' resemble the cancerous trash can that is our game threads, except they resemble that all year long. 

PSA: Don't post in game threads. They're bad for you.

Not to change the subject....but, it will be interesting to see what effect effort and sensible coaching will have on the game threads this year. I'm guessing when our D gives up a big play due to being overly aggressive or when we throw an int due to going fast and attacking or lose a fumble fighting for that extra foot that it will be received much better. Frost may very well cure a lot more than just our on-field problems.